Topic: Timing MRIs and mammograms

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: Oct 2, 2021 12:43PM

Posted on: Oct 2, 2021 12:43PM

purplecat wrote:

Question for those who get both annual MRI and mammograms: How do you time them? My understanding is that the usual practice is to alternate them ever six months, but I've decided I'm better off condensing all the anxiety into one episode per year and then have the rest of the year to not think about breast cancer, and my team is fine with that. Now that I'm between tests (MRI from earlier this week turned out fine, yay, but mammogram still looming ahead) I'm thinking how great it would be to do both tests on the same day, since both are available in the same building. I could schedule the mammogram half an hour before the MRI, make just one visit to the treatment center, and then have just one anxious wait for both sets of results. Does anyone do both in one day? And if so, what's the recommended order? Would the MRI contrast cause problems with the mammogram, or would the fresh "squeeze trauma" cause issues with the MRI?

Full disclosure: I've actually already had BC, so am beyond the high risk category except for risk of recurrence (which is actually pretty low) but this seems like the best forum for finding people who get annual MRIs with their mammograms.

Dx 10/2018, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/4/2018 Lumpectomy Surgery 10/18/2018 Lymph node removal Surgery Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Oct 2, 2021 02:38PM minustwo wrote:

I do ULS and MRI - no mammograms since I don't have breasts left. They are scheduled further apart at the recommendation of my radiologist. When I do them together, he said to do the ULS first. ULS is now every two years. MRI has been dropped unless something showed up in the ULS results.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Oct 2, 2021 04:54PM cookie54 wrote:

So they can be done in one day but for monitoring purposes they should be six months apart. The point being that your are being imaged every 6 months to keep a close watch on things. I was monitored this way for years and glad !Because my first diagnosis I had a mammo in May which was negative but the following MRI showed a mass. I understand your anxiety but it is important unless your oncologist feels comfortable with imaging once a year. Best wishes.

Dx 8/15/2016, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 9/14/2016 Mastectomy; Reconstruction (Left): Saline implant; Reconstruction (Right): Saline implant Chemotherapy 10/14/2016 AC Dx 6/2020, IDC, Right, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 5/8 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/28/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Gemzar (gemcitabine) Surgery 10/19/2020 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Right) Radiation Therapy 11/22/2020 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine)

Oct 2, 2021 09:55PM veeder14 wrote:

I get the MRI and mammogram about 6 months apart. My cancer only showed up on MRI but I get the mammogram that my MO wants since insurance will not approve MRI 2x per year. I see how combining your tests to one day might seem favorably to you. However, with all my pain issues that would be impossible

Dx 1/2/2018, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/25/2018 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Radiation Therapy 3/7/2018 Hormonal Therapy 2/28/2019 Hormonal Therapy

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Scroll to top button