Posted on: Apr 29, 2007 02:12AM
WendyInCalif wrote:Thank you for reading my post. I have had a 1.4 x 1.0 x 1.2 cm IDC, Grade 1, Stage 1, node negative, ER +3/PR +2, Her2 negative lesion removed via lumpectomy. I fully was prepared to hear that I'd be receiving RT and Tamoxifen and that I would not need chemo but my oncologist just recommended yesterday that I take six infusions (1 every two weeks) of Taxotere and Cytoxan.
Posts 1 - 30 (38 total)
Apr 29, 2007 04:05AM ducky1 wrote:Wow Wendy, I am really surprised that he is suggesting chemo for stage 1, grade 1. Do you have lymphatic-vasculary invasion? I would definitely go for a second opinion! It sounds like they caught it very early. I am having chemo BUT am grade 3, stage 2 with invasion and am at high risk for recurrence. I am very sorry that you have to deal with deaths of loved ones as well. I know that you also have the added worry of being on your own. Get the other opinion and go from there.
Apr 29, 2007 05:02AM WendyInCalif wrote:Thank you so very much for responding Cath! No node involvement or vascular invasion is stated on pathology report.
Apr 29, 2007 05:09AM WendyInCalif wrote:I guess I have read about breast cancer approximately 2 hours a day on line, since 3/20 and that is true, Rose. This regimen is more designed for another histiological make-up.
Apr 29, 2007 05:12AM MissShapen wrote:I definitely vote for the 2nd opinion. Chemo for stage 1 grade 1 with no +nodes sounds pretty ridiculous to me.
Apr 29, 2007 06:01AM kathyinjuneau wrote:Wendy,
Apr 29, 2007 07:06AM ravdeb wrote:I suggest a second opinion. Like Rose said..that is the new chemo combo for triple negs with or without node involvement.
Apr 29, 2007 08:37AM lapsang wrote:I was stage 1, grade 2, IDC 1.9cm no vascular or lymph node involvement. Had I been grade 1, my onc would not have recommended chemo. I had the oncotype test done, got a score of 15, but, more importantly, it indicated that chemo would have only raised my chances of no recurrence in 10 years by 1%. Going from 90% - 91% for me was not worth it.
Apr 29, 2007 12:40PM Marie_S_ wrote:Wendy, you're a VERY wise woman to question this chemo recommendation. I find it beyond frightening to think of how many women wouldn't even think to question it and have recieved chemo unnecessarily. For God's sake, your Ki-67 is at ZERO...you couldn't even hope for a less aggressive invasive tumor!!
Apr 29, 2007 03:14PM WendyInCalif wrote:Marie,
Apr 29, 2007 03:22PM jpann39 wrote:Im so sad to see that a Dr. would go ahead with a treatment to the extent of chemo for a person who potentially doesnt need it for just the money....I know it commonly happens, but DANG where is their heart???
Apr 29, 2007 04:18PM iodine wrote:Wow, Wendy, considering all that you have been thru, I am amazed at not only how well you express youself but how well informed and directed you are. Whew!
Apr 29, 2007 05:23PM WendyInCalif wrote:Kathy, I am in Central California, Visalia to be exact. I went to Sansum Clinic in Santa Barbara after my diagnosis. I guess I won't be going back there. I will make an attempt to locate an oncologist in Fresno, California next which is one hour north of me.
Apr 29, 2007 06:19PM DoreenF wrote:Hi Wendy: I also am very impressed by your knowledge and your being a strong advocate for yourself. I can't imagine what you're going through with the loss of two close family members - that has got to be so hard.
Apr 29, 2007 06:45PM Tricia wrote:This information is so helpful. I am waiting for the results of my oncotype test. I have am MRI in a week and a half to hopefully help me decide to have another go at clean margins, one mastectomy, or two. I never imagined I would have to educate myself in order to make ask relevant questions, and make informed decisions. I really appreciate those of you who are so helpful answering questions. (Mine is ILC and LCIS ER/PR+ HER- )
Apr 29, 2007 06:54PM WendyInCalif wrote:Marie, I just perused the two informative web sites you so kindly made available. Thank you!
Apr 29, 2007 07:07PM ShirleyHughes wrote:Hi, Wendy. I agree with all of the ladies.
Apr 29, 2007 08:36PM Sue227 wrote:Wendy,
Apr 30, 2007 05:37AM WendyInCalif wrote:When I asked him about an oncotypeDX test, he seemed unaware of it and then stated that I must mean a MammaPrint. When I looked up MammaPrint, it apparently is not available in the U.S. but only in Europe (WTH???). Though it is FDA approved, it is a smaller, shorter study. He left it at that and so, I do not even know if he is going to send my block to Europe (WTH??????) rather than three hours away in, I believe it is Redwood City, CAlifornia. I am exasperated. I typed him up a somewhat rude and demanding letter but I had better not send it, huh? He also forgot to give my an Rx for Effexor at my visit and it appears to me I could use an SSRI right about now.
Apr 30, 2007 05:47AM WendyInCalif wrote:Sue, In my pursuit of information, I came across this:
Apr 30, 2007 03:57PM DoreenF wrote:Hi Wendy: Mammaprint is pretty new and is only available in Europe at this point. Oncotype and Mammprint have very similar results.
Apr 30, 2007 05:40PM lc111350 wrote:
Hi Wendy, I had stage 1 grade 2 er/pr pos her2 neg. I also was not expecting the rec for chemo but I checked out the MD Anderson web site and looked at their protocol. Friday I finished 4 rounds of cytoxan/epirubicin. We did dose dense (every 2 weeks) b/c I could shave a month off my treatment. I'm glad it's over. I did pretty good, continued to work, was very tired, took good drugs for nausea and diarrhea. Get that oncotype dx done and get another oncologist. and check out MD Anderson's website and see where you fit in their treatment protocol. best of luck to you, be strong, Lexapro is a great antidepressant and you might ask about it.
Apr 30, 2007 06:51PM vegasbaby wrote:Wendy, I would definitely push for the Oncotype test. I was Stage 1, node negative, no vascular invasion, highly estrogen and progesterone positive, her2neu negative, brca negative, and my tumor was 1.2 X 1.5 cm. I was 35 at diagnosis so premenopausal. I did a lumpectomy with clear margins. My oncotype dx score came back at 29 so I endured eight rounds of chemo. Four rounds of AC, then four rounds of Taxol. Yes, there were days when it sucked totally but it was not impossible by any means. I had a two year old at the time and am a stay at home mom and I managed just fine. Whether my onc gained financially from my treatment or not...I don't care. I know I did everything in my power to kill the beast and I'll never look back and wonder...what if? Push for the oncotype. That's your best bet! Good luck.
May 2, 2007 04:30AM WendyInCalif wrote:I have scheduled an appt. for a 2nd opinion re: the chemo. I received the History and Physical the original onc. dictated and he stated he was be acquiring a MammaPrint gene study. From what I recall, it is FDA approved but the company in Europe cannot find a US (pharmaceutical co? genetic lab?) to do the test. I recall also that the difference between OncoType DX and MammaPrint was the number of genes studied. I will have to read that again to decipher it.
May 2, 2007 04:46PM lc111350 wrote:
Hi Anne, it was based on tumor size. They have recently lowered the limit on size and I fell in to their new recommendations. I asked the radiation onc what he would do if it was his wife and there was no hesitation about doing it. I also saw my mother die from metastatic breast cancer and I felt like I had to do everything I could. Lastly I had a rare skin rash that is associated with malignancy that got worse after the lumpectomy and I figured my body was talking to me and I should listen.
May 2, 2007 04:58PM ADK wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me. I can certainly understand with your situation why you would do it. I don't even remember how large my tumor was, but I remember that it was borderline. The onc mentioned chemo in passing only once and wasn't very pushy about it. My rad onc agreed that I should not have done it. I also have Crohn's disease and the side effects of Chemo might have really had a bad affect on me. I hope all is well with you and you are healthy now.
May 2, 2007 05:43PM lc111350 wrote:Anne, just knowing that part is over makes me better. I get a month's break before starting rads (dreading just a little bit) and I'm taking a little time off to go to Sedona and get spa'd and recentered emotionally, physically, and spiritually. I hope you are well also.
May 2, 2007 06:25PM stacey2930 wrote:
I was diagnosed grade 1 stage 1 I had the oncotype DX test which came back in the low catagory so It was recommened that I dont do Chemo. I would definately get the oncotype to make sure the benefit of taking chemo outweights the risk. Stacey
May 2, 2007 07:00PM Shirlann wrote:I think it is time for a timely wake up call for all of us. While we want and need to do anything and everything to prevent a met or recurrence, 2nd opinions, when a diagnosis is on the fence, is essential.