We are 156,672 members in 80 forums discussing 124,031 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Just Diagnosed → Topic: Does Grade 3 mean stage 3?

Topic: Does Grade 3 mean stage 3?

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: Jun 17, 2008 05:02PM

karlynn17 wrote:

please help me. :)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Jun 17, 2008 05:05PM , edited Jun 17, 2008 05:10PM by Curlylocks

No grade III does not mean stage III.  Tumours are graded as a 1, 2 or 3, with 3 being the most aggressive.

My tumour was also a grade III. 

I saw your other post re: possible triple negative.  Chemo works well on aggressive tumours, there is MUCH HOPE!

I am a 3 year survivor of bc, if you have any other questions, please feel free to pm me or post again....

Michele 

Dx 10/23/2005, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 3/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/9/2014, IDC, <1cm, Grade 1, ER-/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 04/30/2006 Arimidex (chemical name: anastrozole, class: aromatase inhibitor) Surgery 12/15/2013 Prophylactic (also called preventive) mastectomy of one or both breasts : Prophylactic (also called preventive) mastectomy of my left breast , Prophylactic (also called preventive) mastectomy of my right breast ; Reconstruction of my left breast: DIEP flap; Reconstruction of my right breast: DIEP flap Surgery 05/02/2008 Prophylactic (also called preventive) removal of the ovaries Surgery 11/08/2005 Lumpectomy in one or both breasts: Lumpectomy in my left breast; Lymph node removal (also called dissection): Underarm (axillary) lymph node removal (also called dissection) , Lymph node removal (also called dissection) on my left side Radiation Therapy 05/31/2006 Chemotherapy 12/04/2005 AC + T (Taxol): Adriamycin and Cytoxan, plus Taxol Chemotherapy 02/10/2014 Cytoxan (chemical name: cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (chemical name: docetaxel)

Jun 17, 2008 06:53PM karlynn17 wrote:

Michele, thank you - I will let you know when I have more questions.  You are very kind and congrats on your progress :)

Karen

Jun 17, 2008 07:06PM geebung wrote:

Karlynn, you can have a grade 3 bc at any stage. I had DCIS which is bc that hasn't escaped from the ducts. As it was still contained within the ducts, it was stage 0 but my bc was grades 2 and 3. The grade is sometimes referred to as  histological grade and you can read up on this at http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/diagnosis/rate_grade.jsp

To read up on stages of bc: http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/path_report/index.jsp

You will need to copy and paste these links into your search window - I think you call that the browser? 

Just after diagnosis everything seems utterly overwhelming. Whether it's you or a loved one who is going through this, it's an exhausting, scary time. Hang in there and please ask any questions at all - there's no such thing as a 'silly' question!

Hugs,

gb 

Dx 2/26/2007, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+

Jul 25, 2008 11:19PM sierra-noel wrote:

Does that mean that a grade 3 tumor will be aggressive in it's growth they found it in July and im not scheduled until aug 28 for a bi lat and i still dont know about my nodes yet is this going to make any difference in the growth of the cancer?

Sierra-Noel

Jul 26, 2008 02:12PM Beesie wrote:

Sierra-Noel,

Grade 3 is a more aggressive breast cancer than grade 1 or grade 2, but overall breast cancer is usually very slow growing.  There are some exceptions - these tend to be the more rare forms of BC - but in most cases it's believed that the breast cancer was in your body for about 7-8 years before it got large enough to be found.  So an extra month or two usually is not a problem. 

If you are worried, I'd suggest that you ask your doctor.  I would hope though that your doctor wouldn't have allowed you to be scheduled for late August if he or she felt that there was a need to rush.  I know that my surgeon always keeps a couple of operating slots available for emergencies - those situations where he feels that the surgery needs to be done immediately.  For everyone else, the scheduling takes longer. 

Dx 9/15/05, DCIS-MI, 6cm+ Gr3 DCIS w/IDC microinvasion, Stage IA, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- “No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke