Join Us

We are 217,466 members in 84 forums discussing 160,582 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: triple positive +-7cm tumor anyone else?

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: Jul 27, 2010 11:01AM - edited Jul 27, 2010 11:02AM by lago

lago wrote:

This is my first post. I just got my biopsy results on 7.13.10 but the radiologist told me (after I asked) when I had my biopsy on 7.8.10 that they pretty much know I had BC and the tumor was large. (Questionable area on left breast at 11:00 - 3:00. Not sure what that means but I know it sounds like 1/3 of my breast at least). I am going to have a modified radical mastectomy (taking level I nodes). So far I don't show any nodel involvement but since this is so invasive and big they don't want to make the mistake of choosing the wrong sentinal node. I have small boobs with very dense tissue. (A cups).  I'm also pre/peri menopausal age 49.

I'm still waiting for my sugery date! Tomorrow MRI, 2nd chestx ray (they think the shadow is actually my nipple) and BRCA testing. I don't have any history of breast, ovarian or prostate cancer in my family by I am Ashkenazi Jewish which makes me a bit higher for having the gene. (8% for Ashkenazi Jews, 10% for those of us that have been diagnosed).

I'd love to hear from anyone else who might be in this situation. So far I haven't seen many triple positives with large tumors like mine and also peri/pre menopausal. And yes like all of you I'm scared but ready to fight. I know every year they keep coming up with better treaments. There are so many women (and men) that win this battle or go into remission. I'm hoping the best for all of us and our families.

DONE!! goo.gl/IoaN6U • Tattoos 2.7.2012 • Nipples 10.6.2011 • Exchange 6.24.2011 • Chemo 1.18. 2011 • BMX 8.31.2010 Dx 7/13/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Jul 27, 2010 04:20PM lisasinglem wrote:

Hi lago - I'm not in the exact same position, because my tumor was only 2cm, with some DCIS as well.  But I am triple positive.  Have they talked to you about neo-adjuvant chemo to try to shrink the tumor at all? 

There was a time when we didn't know how big my tumor was, and the surgeon offered this up in case it was large.  The good thing about getting the chemo before surgery is that they can see very clearly how well the chemo is working - even if they can't save the breast with lumpectomy.

The Her2 + tumors grow very fast, by bc standards.  My onc told me that my 2cm tumor was probably only growing for a year - and would have only been detecable 6 months ago.  I'm so glad I went in for my mammogram.

The BRCA test can throw a whole wrench into the treatment options as well.  I wish you all the best.  None of us want to be here, but I'm glad you found us.

If you are going through hell, keep going. - Churchill Dx 6/8/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 27, 2010 06:59PM lago wrote:

No one has really talked to me about any chemo. I haven't even talked to an oncologist just the surgeon and the radiologist that did the biopsy.

My feeling is they know it's big and I'm small so there is no way that a lumpectomy would be an option. They probably want to know how big it really is so they know how to procede after the mastectomy. If they shrink the tumor they will never know. My breast is just too dense I guess. Who knows maybe after the MRI they may change course but I doubt it. They say the MRI is to check the other breast but I'm sure they're going to look at the bad on too. They told me I've had this for 4 years. I've always gone for mammograms.

I am meeting with the surgeon on the 4th so maybe I can get more information or at the very least a surgery date! I have no idea why they are moving so slowly.

I'm not worried about the BRCA. I really don't think I will test positive. There is no history of BC, ovarian or prostate cancer in my family to my knowledge. I just feel better safe then sorry. Also this test is still rather new. Stastically it may help others if I am included in the stats.

Sounds like you doing well. Odd but I had my mammogram & ultra sound 3 days after your diagnosis. Have you had your surgery yet?

DONE!! goo.gl/IoaN6U • Tattoos 2.7.2012 • Nipples 10.6.2011 • Exchange 6.24.2011 • Chemo 1.18. 2011 • BMX 8.31.2010 Dx 7/13/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 27, 2010 07:56PM negirly wrote:

I was 38 at diagnosis - premenopausal and triple + - My tumor was big +/- 10 cm.  I did chemo before surgery and got good results but still needed a mastectomy.  Don't be worried about the size - everyone responds differently and there are many with big tumors who did very well. 

I recommend a port as you will probably get herceptin every 3 weeks for a year and a port was awesome - I had very little pain with mine andpretty much forgot it was there.

Best of luck,

Karyn

Jul 27, 2010 08:21PM lago wrote:

Wow kward70. Thanks for sharing. You sound like you are doing really well. You are the first person that I can relate to. Keep it going girl!

I figured I'd end up with port and herceptin. Not sure why they aren't doing the chemo before. I'm not sure about radiation either but I think they won't know about that till they remove my breast and level 1 lyphm nodes. I think because they are taking the lymph nodes might be the reason they are not doing chemo first. It's hard to ask the right questions. 3 weeks ago I knew nothing. 

I take it you didn't get drugs for ER+, PR+ surpression because of the hysterectomy.

Jul 30, 2010 09:42PM lago wrote:

Good News:

Just got the results of my MRI. It appears my tumor is only 6cm x 4cm. Lymph nodes still seem clear.

Not So Good:

The othe breast has 4 suspicious areas. It probably isn't bc but they will need to biopsied. Also in the future mammogram will not be sufficient to moniter these. My surgeon and I agree that I am now going for a bilateral mastecomy. 

I'm not too upset about that since now reconstruction will match. I just know the pain is going to suck but I will survive. So far I do believe the implants are going in at the same time.

Aug 6, 2010 08:52PM marjie wrote:

We sound very similar (even diagnosed on the same date!!) but I don't know my ER/PR or HER status yet.  My tumour is 4cm and I am having my surgery on Aug 19th - lumpectomy and SNB.  Ultrasounds and MRI so far show no node involvement but who knows, I guess all I can do is keep my fingers crossed.  I have to say that it's a little disturbing when you are reading everyones diagnosis and their tumours all seem so small!! 

I am 47 years old and pre/peri menopausal.  I was kicking myself for not noticing this thing sooner, but the doctor said it's a very aggressive cancer and likely wasnn't even noticable 6mths ago. WOW!!  I just want it GONE!  I am going to get chemo and rads following surgery - I guess my chemo treatment will depend on the path report.

Keep me posted on how you are making out! I bet we have very similar paths to follow.

Treatment: Rt Lump/SNB Aug 2010, FECx3/Tx3, radsx25+8, Herceptin x18 Dx 7/13/2010, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Aug 6, 2010 10:40PM - edited Sep 11, 2010 01:56PM by lago

They haven't told me for sure what they are going to do next but I know chemo isn't optional, its a must, Herceptin (her2+) will happen and also hormone therapy. Sounds like Radiation is going to happen too because of the size of my tumor. They couldn't do a lumpectomy with me even if they tried to shrink it. Mass is just so big and aggressive and my boobs are small.

I think they are going very aggressive with me. Taking Level I nodes in the bad boobie and just a sentinel in the suspicious booby. That's fine with me. I don't want have to do this again. Wink I just hope I don't lose my eyebrows… but I have a feeling they're gonna go.

----------------------------------------------

Marjie I am  having a bone scan & CTon the 11th. I should get my results before you get your lump removed. You should ask about your hormone and HER-2 status. This information is part of the information they use to decide how to treat your cancer. I know I rather have some idea before the tell me. This way you can find out information before hand that may or may not be true but assists you in asking the proper questions when the oncologist is with you.

BTW under 5cm is a good thing. I hope you have 0 nodes.

Sep 11, 2010 01:15PM NadineEspana2003 wrote:

Hello.  I am 29 years old and was diagnosed in May of this year.   Bilateral mastectomy on the 7the of June.  I started my reconstruction right away and chemo on the 22nd of July.   AC/T Dose dense plus Herceptin for a year.  I am haflway through the chemo.  Done with the A and C, so exctited about this because I was nauseated for 8 weeks straight with it.  Starting the Taxol and Herceptin on Wed.  Not quite sure what the expect with that, hoping for the cakewalk they keep telling me.  I will not know about radiation until the chemo is done.  It's a possibility because I did have two nodes positive.  Even though all the testing that was done when I was diagnosed said that there were no nodes positive.    I did not lose my eyebrows or leg hair, lost hair everywhere else though.   Everyone is different on where they lose the hair.  The drugs affect everyone differently.  I am in good spirits through all of this.   It's the only thing that keeps me going.   The pain from the reconstruction hasn't been nearly as awful as other suggest.  At times it's a dull ache.   I have been expanded twice and only minor discomfort.  Again I think attitude is 90% of this.  Good Luck to you!  

Dx 5/20/2010, DCIS, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Sep 11, 2010 01:55PM - edited Sep 11, 2010 01:56PM by lago

Update on me. My BMX with TE was 11 days ago. I seem to be doing well. Never took even a tylenol or used the pain pump. Just a bit sore. My tumor is only 5.5cm (part was DCIS), nodes are clear, some precancer in the other breast but now it's gone so who cares. I'm still hoping for no radiation but I'm afraid my tumor is still a bit big. I think it has to be under 5cm. So now I officially have frankenboobs in time for Halloween. Tongue out

I see the oncologist on Tuesday.

Nadine… 1/2 through. Congratulations. Wow I hope my eyebrows don't fall out. I'm more upset about that than my hair. Guess it seems more maintenance. I can always toss a scarf on my head or go without but eyebrow is another story. Yes my PS says I'm healing nicely because of my attidude. Personally I'm not so sure. I think I was just healthy going in, had great surgeons and good genes. Attidude just helps getting through it. 

So have you had any taste bud changes?

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)