Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

GET THE SHINGLES VACCINE!!!!

Options
vivirasselena
vivirasselena Member Posts: 51
edited June 2014 in Just Diagnosed

Before ANY treatment (if you have time)  ask your doctor about the shingles vaccine.  I am into my 18th radiation treatment, and came down with a H O R R I B L E  case across my radiatated chest.

My dermo says EVERYONE in our position should get it.  THESE THINGS ARE HORRIBLE and have been the most painful part of treatment.

Comments

• Rushell
    Rushell Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2011
    Options

I am so sorry for the discomfort you are enduring hun. I hope your dermi has givien you something to relieve it.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that most people who have a serious illness that interferes with their immune system is encouraged NOT to get the vaccine.

But it is a good idea to check with your Doctor before receiving any vaccines, as they may interfere with your treatment.

A link to info regarding shingle vaccine: (remove this if I was not allowed to post this) http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/should-not-vacc.htm#shingles

Some people should not get shingles vaccine or should wait.

A person should not get shingles vaccine who:

• has ever had a life-threatening allergic reaction to gelatin, the antibiotic neomycin, or any other component of shingles vaccine. Tell your doctor if you have any severe allergies.
    • has a weakened immune system because of current:
      • AIDS or another disease that affects the immune system,
      • treatment with drugs that affect the immune system, such as prolonged use of high-dose steroids,
      • cancer treatment such as radiation or chemotherapy,
      • cancer affecting the bone marrow or lymphatic system, such as leukemia or lymphoma.
    • is pregnant, or might be pregnant. Women should not become pregnant until at least 4 weeks after getting shingles vaccines.

Someone with a minor acute illness, such as a cold, may be vaccinated. But anyone with a moderate or severe acute illness should usually wait until they recover before getting the vaccine. This includes anyone with a temperature of 101.3° F or higher.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,017
    edited August 2012
    Options

Oh, I am sorry for your situation.  I got it 6 months after finishing chemotherapy.  At that time, it was "only" for over 60, believe it is offered to those 50 & over now. 

But I DID have to wait those 6 months after finishing chemotherapy, per my oncologist, and the place where I got the vaccine.  Still, I agree - those who CAN, get it.  Expecially if you've had chicken pox as a child, which a lot of women of "my generation" have - 

Hope V is feelng better  Very generous of you, in such a time of pain, to reach out and be concerned for others.  Thanks for starting this thread.  Hope every woman who has ha chemotherapy, who can, will ge the shingles vaccine.

• Letlet
    Letlet Member Posts: 55
    edited July 2011
    Options

I got shingles exactly 5 days after chemo....not pleasant at all....

• Shirlann
    Shirlann Member Posts: 60
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hi sisters, I posted about this very thing several months ago.  Why this isn't MANDATORY I will never know.  But for goodness sake, get this shot.

Hugs, Shirlann 

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited July 2011
    Options

Geez, now you guys have me all worried.  I had a textbook case of chicken pox when I was little, so I know I'm at risk of shingles.  I dutifully get my flu vaccine ever year -- I even got the special avian flu vaccine the year that it was a separate injection.  I'm not quite old enough for the pneumonia shot, but I know that one's on the radar.

For some reason, though, I've been dodging the shingles vaccine, even though my grandma had a terrible case of shingles when she was around my age.

I guess it's off to the doctor's office again, eh?  (Or, maybe I can get this one at Walgreen's?)

otter

• LuvRVing
    LuvRVing Member Posts: 2,409
    edited July 2011
    Options

Yes yes yes yes YES!!!  Get it the minute you receive your diagnosis, before you have a single treatment!  I found out I had BC last June and I got the shingles vaccine the very next day.  I had heard of way too many people who were fighting cancer and then got shingles.  I wasn't going to let that happen.  I also got a flu shot and pneumonia vaccine.  My PCP was on the ball!

Michelle

• LuvRVing
    edited July 2011
    Options

Yes yes yes yes YES!!!  Get it the minute you receive your diagnosis, before you have a single treatment!  I found out I had BC last June and I got the shingles vaccine the very next day.  I had heard of way too many people who were fighting cancer and then got shingles.  I wasn't going to let that happen.  I also got a flu shot and pneumonia vaccine.  My PCP was on the ball!

Michelle

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited July 2011
    Options

My doctor will not allow me to get the vaccine as it contains a live virus and I had liver damage from the chemo I hac

• LuvRVing
    edited July 2011
    Options

Well, yes, I totally agree that you should discuss this with your physician.  And like everything else, there are exceptions. 

The beauty of getting it BEFORE any treatment is that you are probably not already dealing with damage from chemo or radiation. 

It is a discussion that every newly-diagnosed cancer patient should have with their doctor as a "first step" because getting shingles really, really sucks!

I am pretty sure you cannot just go to a drugstore and request it...I believe it requires a prescription.  And the administration is (or was last year) highly regulated by Medicare. 

Michelle

• MaryNY
    MaryNY Member Posts: 486
    edited July 2011
    Options

I'm another one who would not go for the shingles vaccine. I have an underlying autoimmune disorder which makes getting any vaccine a risk for me.

I think the title should instead be "ask your doctor about getting the shingles vaccine."

• MaryNY
    MaryNY Member Posts: 486
    edited July 2011
    Options

LuvRVing wrote:

I am pretty sure you cannot just go to a drugstore and request it...I believe it requires a prescription.

It looks like the walk-in clinics at some Rite Aids offer the vaccine. 

March. 29, 2011—U.S. drug store chain Rite Aid say more than 2,100 of the chain's 4,700 stores will vaccinate patients age 50 and older against shingles.

And it sounds as though someone can just walk in and request it. Not sure if Rite Aid will know or enquire about a person's medical history. This is why I think the title on this thread telling people to get the vaccine is not right.

• Maybe484
    Maybe484 Member Posts: 28
    edited July 2011
    Options

V, I am so sorry you're contending with this.

I wonder also if shingles might be a cancer warning flag--prior to diagnosis.  I had shingles four years before my cancer diagnosis, and at a younger age than someone without a compromised immune system might have shingles.  I've just finished rads, and my rads fields included where my shingles had been.

I've heard that shingles recurrences are also possible--gosh, I hope not. 

Best Wishes for healing--the pain and itching and the subsequent nerve issues--can be difficult.

• vivirasselena
    vivirasselena Member Posts: 51
    edited July 2011
    Options

Im certainly glad we can get an open discussion about it.  I had chicken pox as a kid, and my dr. said this is just a blow up of that again.

It is B R U T A L, and only on the radiated side of my chest.  YUM YUM!  3rd degree burns AND shingles!  Please all you newbies, before you start chemo or radiation....talk to your doctor about the shingles vaccine or at least starting on VALTREX as a preventative measure.

It's a beast.  You'll thank me!  Love and healing to all of you.  I love you.

michele

• 3monstmama
    3monstmama Member Posts: 123
    edited August 2011
    Options

Good advice to talk to your doctor.  But don't anyone beat themselves up over not getting the vaccine.  As well noted, its a live virus and anyone with a compromised immune system should not be getting things with live viruses.

personally, I would be way more concerned about getting chicken pox as an adult than I would be about getting shingles.  Seems that everyone I know who has gotten chicken pox as an adult has ended up in hospital and not for overnight either.  Shingles stinks but it usually goes away.  Chicken pox in adults can kill you.

JO-5 I think its physical contact with lesions and not just being in the same room.  I think its pretty hard to catch them without physical contact, at least I know I had a horrid time trying to catch chicken pox from being in the same room as my friend in 3d grade!  Laughing  if you sleep separate and wash your hands alot, you will probably be okay.

• Dilly
    Dilly Member Posts: 394
    edited August 2011
    Options

I got my shot about six or eight months after rads. (I didn't have chemo)  If I'd had a bit more info, I would have had it before tx... anyway, I got my vaccine only After talking with both my PCP and MO.

I was in the "over 60" group  but  with an underlying rare autoimmune disorder, and with strong allergic reactions to most antibiotics - nowadays it's Cipro if I need antibiotics. 

So, again, it's a judgment call we each have to make based on our personal situation and the best information we can gather.  Good luck JO!  Sorry you're having to deal with this. 

I'm encouraging my DH to get his vaccine "just in case." He's still waffling.

• susand
    susand Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2011
    Options

I have know several people who have gotten shingles this past year.  I asked my Doctor if I should get the shot and she suggested that I have a blood test to see if I had immunity (titers) to it.  The blood test showed that I did have titers so I was advised not to get the shot.  I am not really sure about this but do trust my doctor.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,017
    edited August 2012
    Options

There was an article in the New York Times not too long ago, doctors seem surprised not more people are getting the vaccine.  I think I remember hearing the age had been lowered to 50.  Not sure about that.

Susand - don't know what "titers" are - I was told if you had chickenpox as a child, you should get this vaccine.   BUT, I did have to wait at least 6 months after finishing chemotherapy.

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited August 2011
    Options

My son had chicken pox twice as a child.   The first time it was medium grade, but the second time it was full force maximum outbreak -- in his ears, between his legs, between his toes, in his hair --he was a mess.   The doctor said males can get it twice, but it is rare.  Females almost never get it twice, very very rare.     

At age 31 he and his wife both got shingles on their faces.   So, I asked if I should get the vaccine, and I had chicken pox as a child.   All doctors said absolutely NO since I have allergies to anti biotics and egg whites and have had cancer.    This includes onco, primary and endocrinologist.    

I am not second guessing anyone or anyone's doctor, but I would seek medical consult before getting the vaccine.       Nancy 

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited August 2011
    Options

I had chemo in 2006 for stage 2 and got Shingles last year.  I did have chicken pox as a child.  I was under the impression that folks with lower immune system should not get this vaccine????  I still have very low WBC counts even at 5 yr mark.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 4,011
    edited August 2011
    Options

NO VACCINATIONS for me! I run from them.

• icandothis
    icandothis Member Posts: 70
    edited August 2011
    Options

I got shingles about 3 months after treatment - right after my fourth infection in surgical site.

Wish I had followed the advise here - I think it should be recommended before treatment begins.

Shingles suck. And they hurt too

Sue

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028
    edited August 2011
    Options

I was just diagnosed with shingles yesterday.  My DH kept nagging at me to get the vaccine.....Cry

So the rash outbreak is only two millimeters from the edge of my breast implant, laterally, near the armpit.  I have the greatest degree of pain over the upper pole of that breast, just at the top of the implant, but no outbreak yet.  I wonder if it is because the nerve distribution was disrupted there at the time of mastectomy.  If so, hallelujah for having dead nerve endings!    I had what is called prodromal pain prior to the outbreak, which was extremely severe. [Unfortunately, this is not a good thing, as it signifies that I have a greater risk of developing post-herpetic neuralgia after the lesions are healed.]  Needless to state, I have been on Percoset for the pain.  The pain has abated since I started aggressive treatment.  I am also using some homeopathic remedies:  L-Lysine, aspirin crushed and mixed with Calendula gel, and I have bulked up on Vitamin C, Vitamin E and Echinacea.  I am going to Whole Foods today to look for some other topicals and also picking up some Braggs ACV. 

If you get shingles and they prescribe acyclovir, demand instead valacyclovir.  The latter is more expensive, but it is a superior treatment over acyclovir and you take fewer doses for fewer days.  Studies have shown that valacyclovir reduces the pain and duration of the pain significantly better than acyclovir. 

Deborah

• thegoodfight
    thegoodfight Member Posts: 124
    edited August 2011
    Options

I was set up to get my shingles vac just before I was dx'd.   Onc said absolutely not going into treatment.  I have asked since and he says no, feels shot itself presents me too much risk.  I see him again this week and will ask again, but I do trust him and will listen about this.

• Susie123
    Susie123 Member Posts: 82
    edited August 2011
    Options

It's true, you can get the shingles vaccine at a pharmacy, Rite Aid, as well as many other vaccinations. The pharmacists have gone through special training to be able to do this and know what questions to ask the patients. It does require a prescription, which your pharmacist can request from you Dr for you. If you have any concerns about if you should receive the vaccine, call your onco and ask. If you are actively going through chemo or treatment of any kind please ask your onco first. If you're not in active treatment I suggest you ask the pharmacist. They will be able to answer your questions. There are certain groups that should not receive the vaccine and they will be familiar with that. After all they have PharmD's, doctorates in pharmacology!

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Get the shot.period.I run from all shots but id rather take my chances with the shot then get shingles.....i had them and i was in the hospital for 7 days.i would rather give birth naturally then have them again...i never took the flu shot or the pneumonia shot either...I TOOK THEM ALL NOW...our immune system is down and we went to hell and back with this bc....we dont need anything else.Please everyone get the shot.I cannot stress it enough.I had shingles in my EYES.
  • whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028
    edited August 2011
    Options

JO:  I know your reluctance to get the shot.  That was my personal concern.  I don't even get flu shots!  But I sure do regret it now.  I do not regret my yearly decision to decline the flu vaccine, but shingles is horrible and the risk of long-term postherpetic neuralgia is very high after age 50.  Add our depressed immune systems from having had cancer and cancer treatment to the mix and it is a very high risk.  So as soon as I am over this outbreak, I WILL get the vaccine. 

According to the Centers for Disease Control, some people should not get the shingles vaccine - and Rushell listed those contraindications to the vaccine above.

• Unknown
    edited August 2011
    Options

I got the shingles vaccine as soon as I  heard they had one.  I had a friend who had and still gets shingles and know she can really do nothing except go on pain meds when she gets them.  She can tell when they are starting, says the area feels like it is dancing and then she gets an outbreak....this has been going on with her off and on for 10 yrs!!!   Then had a patient when I was doing her medical history who was telling me she just got over shingles and it was THE WORST thing she ever had to deal with.  That right there was enough to get me to call my Dr to see about getting it.  At the time not every place had it, think there was a shortage or something, so I had to call all over to find a pharmacy that even carried it.  My GPs office did not because I guess it has to be kept at a certain temp in a fridge set up especially for it since it is a live vaccine.  Then after I found it, I had to get to my dr's office within a certain time frame to have them give me the shot.  I had no reaction or problems with the vaccine. I was not yet 60 so had to pay for it myself, but I have not gotten shigles so feel it was well worth the money.  I only wish I had told Lago about it when I met her in Chicago that time I was there and met with some women because it was not long after that she came down with shingles and she can attest to the fact, they are bad.

I think the name of this thread says it all....GET THE SHINGLES VACCINE!!!!   guess I should add IMHO.

• amanda1116
    amanda1116 Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2011
    Options

OMG yes get the shingles vaccine if you can!!!  I had never even heard of it and had only heard of shingle when a friend of mine got them wound up in hosp for two weeks and in agonizing pain for three months.  She begged all of us (her friends) to get the vaccine.  I asked my OB/GYN and she said it's really for older people don't get it (yet).  I think asked me internist and he said, it is generally for older people but since he had shingles when he was 32, well, Amanda, you're right and here's the shot right now because shingles are just awful. And so I got it on the spot.  I hope it works...

PS My whole family had H1N1 flu two years ago and will never miss a flu shot again I can assure you. 

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited August 2011
    Options

Whippetmom...I am so glad I came across your post.  I was diagnosed with shingles last week!  It is underneath my left tissue expander, and I'm so worried that it will spread and cause an infection in the expander.  The dermatologist put me on Valtrex right away.  I also went to my plastic surgeon to have her take a look at it.  She put me on Bactrim and Cipro as a precaution.  The reason we are so scared about this is that when I got the expanders put in (in June), I developed a staph infection in the right expander and had to have it removed.  I guard the left one very cautiously!!  I go back to PS tomorrow morning, and hopefully I'll get some good news.  There is no pain on the skin around the expander, just the pain from the shingles about 1/2 inch underneath the left expander.  The breast skin is a little pink but not red or hot, and no fever, etc... I know that the shingles need to just run it's course, and from what I understand that could be at least a month.  What are your doctors saying? Are they worried about the implant? Thanks for listening!Smile

• thegoodfight
    thegoodfight Member Posts: 124
    edited August 2011
    Options

I asked my onc once yesterday about the shot and he said absolutely NOT!  Talked about our immune sytems being compromised and he felt the shot itself could lead to problems.  Just another opinion.