Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Celebrities and Breast Cancer

Options
shlee
shlee Member Posts: 3
edited June 2020 in Just Diagnosed

Hello

i am newly diagnosed.

just because it help me, i would like to know if anyone knows what stage and what type of breast cancer these women were diagnosed with and about what size their tumors were:

elizabeth edwards

sandra day o'connor

sheryl crow

gloria steinem

christina applegate

melissa etheridge

edie falco

maura tierney

anyone else i might have forgotten

THANKS

Comments

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited October 2012
    Options

bump

• shlee
    edited October 2012
    Options

sorry, also is was wondering if anyone knows their hospitals or doctors they used

also here are some more names:

ann romney

cynthia nixon

kylie minogue

robin roberts

jaclyn smith

Diahann Carroll

• shlee
    edited October 2012
    Options

sorry what does bump mean? i didnt mean to offend anyone. i just wanted to know because i thought it might be inspirational and maybe wanted to use one of their doctors/hospitals...

• QuinnCat
    QuinnCat Member Posts: 408
    edited October 2012
    Options

I know tidbits here and there...maybe others can fill in the blanks.

Maura Tierney

She was on The View. I do remember she was Her2neu positive.  She mentioned chemo, but all Her2 have chemo.

Guiliana Rancic

You don't have her on the list.  I recall she had DCIS with microscopic IDC. No nodes.  No chemo.  She was probably ER+ as they were discouraging anymore hormone treatments for IVF.

Christini Applegate - She was BRCA.

Cheryl Crow - had a lumpectomy.

Interesting how they are all somewhat vocal about their breast cancers, but never share the details on a level that would interest another woman who is experiencing BC.  That is my feeling.

Ann Romney - DCIS, no chemo.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited October 2012
    Options

shlee...bump is an effort to generate a response- not offensive at all. Another lady that had bc was the one who had her own show with her husband. Starts with a J I think. She was trying to get pregnant and found out she has bc. She has gotten through that and they have a baby now so happy ending for now. Elizabeth Edwards had bc in 2004 and it came back in 2007 in her bones. Sheryl Crow had an aggressive bc, had treatment and now has a brain tumor but they it under control whatever that means. Robin Roberts had an aggressive bc and now she has a blood disorder that is life threatening. Her sister donated an organ to her. I think I heard Gov Romney or maybe it was Ann talking about her bc which was aggressive too. Dont know about the others but heard they had bc. It is downright scary how many women have bc. No rhyme or reason but frightening. You could google to find out what hospital they went to.

• QuinnCat
    edited October 2012
    Options

edwards - the woman trying to get pregnant is guillana rancic....I mentioned her above.  I thought I had heard that Sheryl Crow's brain tumor was not malignant...could be wrong.  I would be interested where you heard her breast cancer was aggressive?  I assume Robin Roberts had an aggressive cancer (if it was early stage) as she had Adriamycin as chemo. Her sister donnated her bone marrow.  Romney's was DCIS - so not sure how/why she would have said "aggressive."  But then.....

• Andrea623
    Andrea623 Member Posts: 572
    edited October 2012
    Options

Melissa Etheridge had a lumpectomy, with chemo. She's spoken about it in the past and if you google it, the info is easily found. I'm a huge fan of her's.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,222
    edited October 2012
    Options

Here is a link for some of these ladies and their stories:

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20307103,00.html 

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited October 2012
    Options

yeah  bump means to put some highlight on this tread.

• christina0001
    christina0001 Member Posts: 449
    edited October 2012
    Options

Welcome shlee. Smile

• blackcat2012
    blackcat2012 Member Posts: 116
    edited October 2012
    Options

Didn't Sharon Osbourne have bc?

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,222
    edited October 2012
    Options

She had colon cancer.

• blackcat2012
    blackcat2012 Member Posts: 116
    edited October 2012
    Options

Oh, I thought I heard breast, oops!Embarassed

• loriio
    loriio Member Posts: 55
    edited October 2012
    Options

What about Hoda on the Today Show? I saw a segment yesterday that she had been cancer free for 5 years. I didn't get to watch the whole thing so I don't know what type of breast cancer she had. It was the first time I'd heard she had breast cancer.

• icandothis
    icandothis Member Posts: 70
    edited October 2012
    Options

Wanted to add

Ingrid Bergman - understand she didn't go for treatment because of work commitments, was diagnosed late. Died in 1982 after 8 yrs of treatment.

And then, let's not forget our First and Second Ladies, all of whom were fortunately diagnosed early:

Betty Ford
    Nancy Reagan
    Happy Rockefeller

Cancer don't give no respect

• QuinnCat
    edited October 2012
    Options

While it is nice to hear of happy outcomes, they don't mean much to me unless I hear about stage, grade, oncotype score, size, etc.  If I had the easiest of all BC's, they would give me hope, though.

• SelenaWolf
    SelenaWolf Member Posts: 231
    edited October 2012
    Options

Also, Kathy Bates ("Titanic", "Harry's Law"); she's survived ovarian cancer and was, recently, diagnosed with breast cancer.  I believe, she's had a bilateral mastectomy.

• D4Hope
    D4Hope Member Posts: 37
    edited October 2012
    Options

I believe Robin Roberts had triple negative. I think any type of breast cancer has the ability to metastisize, I don't think ther are an easy breast cancers. It's all a crap shot.

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,870
    edited October 2012
    Options

Sheryl Crow had DCIS, lumpectomy, radiation and no chemo.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,008
    edited November 2012
    Options

I just saw this on line today.....it doesn't say that Sharon ever had breast cancer, it just says she carries the gene and therefore got the double mx.

Sharon Osbourne has double mastectomy - Yahoo! News

Sharon Osbourne says she had a double mastectomy after learning she carries a gene that increases the risk of developing breast cancer.

Osbourne told Hello! magazine that "I didn't want to live the rest of my life with that shadow hanging over me."

The 60-year-old "America's Got Talent" judge, who had colon cancer a decade ago, said that without the surgery, "the odds are not in my favor."

She added: "It's not 'pity me,' it's a decision I made that's got rid of this weight that I was carrying around."

The magazine went on sale Monday.

Osbourne, husband Ozzy and children Jack and Kelly became rock's most famous clan thanks to reality show "The Osbournes" a decade ago.

Jack Osbourne, 26, was recently diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2012
    Options

Here's a link to an article that was posted on line September 12, 2012.  I didn't know Kathy Bates had bc

Kathy Bates reveals breast cancer diagnosis, double mastectomy - Los Angeles Times

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2012
    Options

Here's another I hadn't known about, the author, Judy Blume...this article dated September 5, 2012.

Judy Blume reveals breast cancer diagnosis; had mastectomy | NJ.com

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2012
    Options

Can anyone say "epidemic"?

• QuinnCat
    edited November 2012
    Options

Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman-Schultz is brca2+.  She had BC, I believe in 2009.  Based on her having "7 operations," does sound like she had reconstruction (though I can't account for those 7 without a chemo port insertion)  and no doubt, an ooph.  In her own words, in an interview with Robin Roberts, she did not have radiation or chemo.  Having brca2+ BC myself, I'm surprised she didn't need chemo (it seems as if it is usually aggressive, whether ER+ or TN).  My guess is that she was DCIS....just a guess, based on that.

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2012
    Options

A few other celebrities who've dealt with bc diagnoses:

Nancy Reagan

Carly Simon

Linda McCartney 

Dame Maggie Smith - was in the Harry Potter Movies

Peggy Fleming - Olympic gold medalist ice skater

Suzanne Sommers

Kate Jackson, another one of Charlie's Angels

Wanda Sykes, comedianne

Olivia Newton John

Betsy Johnson-fashion Designer

Cokie Roberts - news reporter

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2012
    Options

And several more:

Martina Navratalova

a big surprise to me:  Ann Romney

Jill Eikenberry, from L.A. Law

Joan Kennedy, ex wife of Ted

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2012
    Options

Mary Gates, mother of Bill Gates, died of breast cancer in 1994.

• janeqpoppy
    janeqpoppy Member Posts: 28
    edited September 2019
    Options

Renowned ABC News journalist and political commentator Cokie Roberts has died at the age of 75.

Roberts won countless awards, including three Emmys, throughout her decades-long career. She has been inducted into the Broadcasting and Cable Hall of Fame and was cited by the American Women in Radio and Television as one of the 50 greatest women in the history of broadcasting. She was named a "Living Legend" by the Library of Congress in 2008.

"We will miss Cokie beyond measure, both for her contributions and for her love and kindness," her family said in a statement.

Her death was due to complications from breast cancer.

Link (although this story is all over the internet today)

She was fabulous and will be sorely missed.

But I'd like more details than just "complications"...

Edited to add: Cokie had a lumpectomy in 2002 and six months of chemo. Those are all the details I could find. Couldn't find what type of cancer-- back then people weren't as familiar with the terminology as we are today. Don't know if she had radiation. She was declared "cancer free" -- I do not like those words... no one knows if they are cancer free. A better term is NED, "no evidence of disease."

This is sad and scary...

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited September 2019
    Options

Anyone know what kind of mets she had? I saw that back in 2002 they thought she found it very early stage. I hate this disease.

• janeqpoppy
    janeqpoppy Member Posts: 28
    edited September 2019
    Options

Meow13-- we cross-posted. I can't find any more details, but I'm very curious. If you find anything, pleas post here, okay?