Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Just Diagnosed? Start Here

moderators
moderators Posts: 7,808
edited April 2023 in Just Diagnosed

If you have just been diagnosed here are a few places to start from the main Breastcancer.org site:

Also, a great thread chock full of advice for those just diagnosed: Just Diagnosed - Get Prepared

And here some inspiring stories of Members For 10 Years or More.

Comments

• random_123
    random_123 Member Posts: 1

I have been just diagnosised with Invasive Carcinoma Breast Cancer. I'm scared but hopeful

• moderators

@random_123 we're sorry you find yourself here, but know you are not alone. We're here for you any time!

Also, we want to let you know we offer very supportive, moderated Virtual Community Meetups. There are a number of different groups and times, so if you're interested, please check them out here: Virtual Community Meetups.

Warmly,

The Mods

• jsnpotter
    jsnpotter Member Posts: 2

good morning. I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Definitely nerve racking waiting on and finding oncologist.

• moderators

Same for you, @jsnpotter! We're sorry you had to join us for this reason but wanted to send you a warm welcome to the BC.org community. We know it is scary, and it's okay to feel a mix of emotions right now.

While you wait for further medical appointments, the following article from our main site may be useful for you as you search for an oncologist: Five Things to Look for When Finding the Right Doctors for Your Breast Cancer Treatment

Hope this helps! Please know that we're here for you every step of the way.

Sincerely,

The Mods

• jsnpotter
    jsnpotter Member Posts: 2

Thank you so much!!! Look forward to using this site to talk thru those dark moments. And celebrate the victories!

• glammy005
    glammy005 Member Posts: 1

I had 3 needle biopsies done last week…the results were Grade2 in both breasts. Tomorrow I see a surgeon…I had a short discussion about my diagnosis with a hospital breast coordinator. I also had a short appointment with my primary care physician. I know that I am experiencing anxiety and my mind is racing, tonight I’m on the verge of crying. I can’t explain what I feel. My family is supportive (I am 70, married 47 years, 3 grown children, all married, 5 grandchildren), so are my friends. Somehow though I can’t wrangle my mind. I don’t know what is going to happen. I know there isn’t a quick fix. I did ask for help from both my primary care physician and the breast coordinator, I just wanted to talk with someone who has experienced breast cancer and what they learned, but nothing materialized and I feel alone. Any suggestions?

• moderators

@glammy005 we're sorry you had to join us, but really glad you found the BC.org community. Welcome!

We understand you're going through a scary and uncertain time, but you're not alone. Besides the discussion boards, and if you want to talk to others in real-time, we invite you to join one of our amazing groups of women who have all faced breast cancer, and they meet on Zoom to share their stories and provide support to each other. We thought it might be a wonderful way for you to connect with others who truly understand what you're going through. If you're interested, please check them out here: Virtual Community Meetups. There are different groups and times, and you can attend as many as you like. Let us know if you have questions.

Also, as tomorrow is your appointment with your surgeon, here is one of our articles that may help: Questions to Ask Your Surgeon

Hope this helps! We look forward to hearing more from you soon.

Warmly,

The Mods

• maesie
    maesie Member Posts: 2

Hello,

I found this site tonight registered and looked around a bit. I'd like a combination of scientific information as well as connecting with others through shared experiences. I was diagnosed 6 days ago, have an amended lab report and scheduled for a lumpectomy/partial mastectomy on October 30.

My preliminary need is to download Understanding your Test Results Lab Report and the page continually shows it's unresponsive. This is frustrating, Can you alert IT for a fix please? Thanks.

• moderators

@maesie - Welcome to our community! We're glad to have you here, and sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.

First of all, we're sorry for the technical difficulties you're experiencing downloading the booklet. We know it can be frustrating, especially when you're seeking crucial information. Before we reach out to the tech team, it might be worth trying the link again to see if the issue persists. Sometimes, technical glitches can be temporary, and trying it at a different time might resolve the problem. Please try the following link, and let us know if it works:

Download the booklet: Understanding Your Pathology Report

Besides this, you may also like to check out and join the conversation for those scheduled this month for lumpectomy, mastectomy, reconstruction, or other surgeries to gather and support one another
    through treatment and recovery. Here is the link to the October 2023 Surgery Support group.

Hope this helps! Please, let us know if you are able to download the booklet. And, if the page continues unresponsive, please use this form to report the issue directly to the techs. Thank you!

The Mods

• maesie
    maesie Member Posts: 2

Thank you for the prompt and courteous reply. It is appreciated. It appears to download well now.

It's always good to know the process for technical issues and the form you provided does just that.

• purpletiger
    purpletiger Member Posts: 10

Thank you for this supportive forum! I was just diagnosed with Stage 3 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma in my left breast and lympnodes under the left arm. Right now, I don't have any other information so it's a waiting game. I have my appointment with the Breast Cancer surgeon on Monday to get more information.

Since I don't have more information I'm keeping the information private until we have a treatment plan and then I can figure it out from there.

Definitely feeling a variety of emotions from scared to determined so trying to just focus on work and keeping normalcy as long as possible.

Open to any thoughts, advice, tips to someone on Day 1 and please let me know how I can hep you!

• moderators

Welcome, @lling777! We're so sorry you find yourself here, we know how overwhelming the first days and weeks can be after a diagnosis. Trying to maintain as much normalcy as possible right now is a great idea, and once you see your surgeon and have more info and a game plan, you'll start to feel a bit more in control. You've got this, and we're all here for you!

The Mods