We are 222,922 members in 82 forums discussing 156,987 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: 2nd biopsy after MRI

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: Aug 7, 2019 11:09AM

Kat01 wrote:

I suppose I'm too new at being diagnosed just July 25th to have all the answers and not be asking dumb questions. But after a routine mammogram led me to an ultrasound and core biopsy and a diagnosis of idc I had an MRI. The MRI showed another mass in same breast and now we go back to an ultrasound and possibly another biopsy. Is that common? It feels like forever finding out what this course will be.

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Aug 7, 2019 11:32AM Ingerp wrote:

All I can tell you is that, MRIs having something like a 30% false positive rate. As my BS put it, "they light up *everything*." Try not to worry until you know what's going on.

Dx 3/11/2016, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 3/22/2016 Lumpectomy Surgery 4/19/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/17/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 3/2/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 3/12/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 5/17/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 5/17/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/19/2018 Whole-breast: Breast

Aug 7, 2019 11:47AM GiddyupGirl wrote:

I know it feels like forever. I felt like I was on the every two weeks it was some new test. However it does get done and looking back it wasnt as long as it felt. Hopefully it is just something innocent. Ingerp had a great reply MRI's have lots of false positives. Fingers crossed.

Aug 7, 2019 12:00PM Kat01 wrote:

Thank you so much. I'll calm down and wait. 😊✌

Aug 7, 2019 12:17PM Moderators wrote:

Hi Kat01, and welcome to Breastcancer.org,

We're so sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but we're really glad you've found us. As you can already see, our amazing Community is full of awesome members, always willing to lend advice, offer suggestions, and support you -- we're all here for you!

Please keep us posted with what you find out -- we're all sending our best thoughts!

--The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Aug 7, 2019 11:16PM edwards750 wrote:

My MO didn’t do MRIs for that reason. Of course it didn’t hurt I didn’t have any valid reason to do them anyway.

Try and chill until you know. Easier said than done but we have been where you are with the anxiety. Whatever it is you can do it. We are proof of that.

Diane

Aug 18, 2019 09:23PM OnTarget wrote:

My breat MRI showed what looked like a new large mass in my original cancer breast (left), and two Birads 4 items in my right. They didn't do a second biopsy on the left because I was getting a mastectomy already. They did biopsy the right and found a little cancer tumor.

I had already decided on a BMX, but I think the doctor was glad to have more certainty.

Diagnosed at 42, Oncotype score 16, ITC in one node- considered node negative Dx 4/8/2019, ILC, Left, 3cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/23/2019, ILC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/15/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 6/14/2019 Zoladex (goserelin) Chemotherapy 8/6/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Aug 18, 2019 10:36PM Kat01 wrote:

The second mass found on the same breast during MRI is also cancer. So I'm having a mastectomy on that side. MRI showed no lymph node involvement. I'll have the nodes rechecked during surgery. So far no radiation or chemo is recommended. Just trying to process it all now.

Aug 19, 2019 08:24AM OnTarget wrote:

That's great that the lymph nodes look clear! I ended up having 3 tumors in the left and 1 in the right after my BMX.

It takes a while to process everything, but once you're doing with surgery, things can get back to normal!

Diagnosed at 42, Oncotype score 16, ITC in one node- considered node negative Dx 4/8/2019, ILC, Left, 3cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/23/2019, ILC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/15/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 6/14/2019 Zoladex (goserelin) Chemotherapy 8/6/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)