We are 222,922 members in 82 forums discussing 156,987 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Idc/IBC

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: Aug 13, 2019 05:01PM

Missmom79 wrote:

i see there are others in the group that have IDC or IBC together. What does that mean? Is IBC a subtype of IDC right? Or could they be wrong and I have IDC and not inflammatory breast cancer like they think I have.

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Aug 13, 2019 07:45PM sbelizabeth wrote:

Missmom, infiltratiing (or invasive) ductal carcinoma (IDC) is a pathological diagnosis. The cancer cells can be seen under a microscope. If a pathologist were to look at a slide from someone who had breast cancer, he/she could identify it microscopically without looking at the patient. Just by looking at a slide that has breast cancer cells present, a pathologist would not be able to tell if the cancer was IDC or IBC.

Inflammatory breast cancer is IDC that grows in the lymphatic channels of the breast's skin, instead of in a lump. Occasionally IBC presents as a lump as well as in the skin, but not always. IBC is a clinical diagnosis, which means a doctor must have examined the breast and confirmed the presence of classical IBC characteristics (redness, swelling, heat, peau d'orange), AND done a biopsy that's positive for cancer.

I hope this helps. SB

pinkribbonandwheels.wordpress.... Dx 10/20/2011, IDC/IBC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 6/28 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 12/15/2011 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 4/18/2012 Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/21/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 7/19/2012 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 4/15/2013 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Aug 13, 2019 08:48PM Missmom79 wrote:

thank you

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)