Join Us

We are 218,036 members in 84 forums discussing 160,860 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Diagnosed at 35

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: Aug 21, 2020 10:59AM - edited Aug 21, 2020 03:29PM by Jalia

Jalia wrote:

Hello all,

I am new here. Had my biopsy on Tuesday and got a call from my doc yesterday with the bad news. It is a poorly differentiated invasive ductal carcinoma in the right breast...per google, this is not good. I feel so numb right now. Radiologist called me today and explained more, says it's about the size of a tangerine. Radiation, chemo, and/or surgery may be needed. Also recommended MRI to see how much is there and confirm

I first felt it while breastfeeding my daughter in May. Since I have a family history of breast cancer, I made an appointment with my doc who referred me to have an ultrasound. I did not get a biopsy then, per their recommendation since I was breast feeding and we thought perhaps it was clogged milk.

Well 3 months later, it doubled in size...had another ultrasound...then biopsy..now this. I feel so heavy.

To make things worse, my Mother has also been diagnosed with breast cancer. This is the first time for her. It's all so unreal and I just feel kind of overwhelmed. Meeting with two surgeons next week to see where I am going from here. They say I did everything right, went right to the doctor, breastfed my daughter who turned a year old this month...and here I am, with breast cancer. At 35!

Don't know what else to say. I am just praying...but I feel so heavy. I hoped that this disease would pass over me and my Mom. My Grandmother had it, but I was just hoping that it would not continue to plague my family. Now here I am..

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Aug 21, 2020 11:42AM ElaineTherese wrote:

Hi Jalia!

I'm so sorry to hear about your news and that of your Mom. I also had "poorly differentiated" (Grade 3) cancer, and I found that it responded to chemo very well. (Chemo works best on quickly dividing cells.) Try not to Google too much. Google includes lots of dated information that can be scary.

I think we all feel numb and overwhelmed by a cancer diagnosis. I remember reading a book to my sons about autumn and getting all teary-eyed because I wondered about how many more autumns I'd spend with them. It turns out that I've spent six more autumns with them and will have many more. I didn't realize then what I know now, and that is that breast cancer is very treatable and the survival rates are pretty high, even for someone like me, who was diagnosed at Stage III.

It's going to take awhile to process the twin diagnoses of you and your Mom, so be sure to take that time. Don't think you have to be a super strong person if you don't feel like one. Don't be afraid to accept the help of others; most people want to do something, and if you can think of specific things for them to do, ask them.

Be kind to yourself; you didn't do anything to deserve this. A lot of us did all the right things, and cancer got us anyways. ((Hugs))

DX IDC June 28, 2014, 5 cm., 1 node tested positive (fine needle biopsy); 0/20 after neoadjuvant chemo + ALND; Grade 3; ER+ PR+ HER2+ Neoadjuvant chemotherapy starting 7/23/14 ACX 4, Taxol X 12, Perjeta X 4; Herceptin: one year Chemotherapy 7/23/2014 AC Targeted Therapy 9/17/2014 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 9/17/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 9/17/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 1/12/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Hormonal Therapy 2/25/2015 Aromasin (exemestane), Zoladex (goserelin) Radiation Therapy 3/9/2015 Breast, Lymph nodes

Aug 21, 2020 11:43AM ajminn3 wrote:

Hi Jalia- getting that call from the doctor is the worst feeling. It’s over whelming to be sure and can do a number on you mentally, especially as a young mother! I was diagnosed last year at 34 when my youngest was 9 months old with no family history. It was such a roller coaster. I’ve now made it through a BMX with recon, chemo, and rads. Feel free to message me if you’d like. I always like connecting with other moms going through this to support and answer any questions I can. You’ll find a lot of info and support on these forums!

Dx 12/2019, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2 Dx 1/2020, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IIA, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Zoladex (goserelin) Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Aug 21, 2020 12:12PM Jalia wrote:

I am crying at your responses.I feel so guilty and my husband is doing his best to comfort me. He is so wonderful! I feel like, I brought this disease into our house and after seeing family members deal with it...I know the toll it takes. I just feel so bad and looking at my daughter...I just want to cry. When I had her, it was like a dream to have this wonderful girl in my life and I want to be hear to continue to raise her. I am a stay at home Mom and I care for her, she is my job...so its like, how will we manage now?

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I haven’t even shared the diagnosis with anyone else in my family. We plan on telling my husband’s parents this weekend, they will be great support.

Aug 21, 2020 12:17PM Moderators wrote:

Hi Jalia, and welcome to Breastcancer.org,

We're so very sorry to hear of your diagnosis, and at such a young age, but we're really glad you've found us. As you can already see, our Community is full of awesome members always willing to offer advice, encouragement, information, and support -- we're all here for you!

As you navigate the forums and introduce yourself on other topics, and ask questions along the way, please don't hesitate to reach out to us Mods with anything you may need.

Sending hugs,

--The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Aug 21, 2020 04:13PM Jalia wrote:

thank you

I also was informed it is Triple Negative. I feel a bit hopeless reading the information about the type it is. Loke why me

Aug 21, 2020 05:58PM ajminn3 wrote:

Jalia, I can tell you that the period of diagnosis to getting a plan in place with my care team was absolutely the darkest time for me. Full of anxiety, crying, worrying, etc. The waiting period is so, so hard. It’s ok to cry and be upset. Know that you certainly did not bring this on your family and that children are incredibly resilient and honestly, I can’t believe how well my 3 boys (now 6, 4, 1.5) have adapted to my current “cancer life”. Also, Everyone told me to stay off google, but that’s easier said than done. There’s so much constantly changing in the breast cancer world. My aunt In law had triple negative 5 years ago, made it through surgery, chemo, and rads and is still cancer free. She says all the time how much has even changed in terms of treatment in those 5 years.

Dx 12/2019, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2 Dx 1/2020, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IIA, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Zoladex (goserelin) Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Aug 21, 2020 07:15PM ElaineTherese wrote:

Jalia,

There's some threads for just for triple negatives:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/72/topics/752075?page=1181

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/72/topics/873053?page=4

It's often helpful to get information and advice from those who share similar diagnoses. I know I love my triple positive board.

Again, don't spend too much time on Google looking at stuff about triple negative breast cancer. Many women successfully treat their triple negative breast cancer and live for years after diagnosis.

DX IDC June 28, 2014, 5 cm., 1 node tested positive (fine needle biopsy); 0/20 after neoadjuvant chemo + ALND; Grade 3; ER+ PR+ HER2+ Neoadjuvant chemotherapy starting 7/23/14 ACX 4, Taxol X 12, Perjeta X 4; Herceptin: one year Chemotherapy 7/23/2014 AC Targeted Therapy 9/17/2014 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 9/17/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 9/17/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 1/12/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Hormonal Therapy 2/25/2015 Aromasin (exemestane), Zoladex (goserelin) Radiation Therapy 3/9/2015 Breast, Lymph nodes

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)