Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Invasive ductal carcinoma

Christinag53
Christinag53 Member Posts: 17
edited April 2021 in Just Diagnosed

I was just diagnosed today with IDC. Grade 3. Estrogen and progesterone negative. I have an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow. Please tell me there is hope. I had DCIS a few years ago on my right side and now this on my left side. I’m a mess right now. I did have an ultrasound on my lymph nodes and that was all clear.

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,815
    edited January 2021

Hi Christina, and welcome to Breastcancer.org.

We're so very sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but we're really glad you've found us. You're sure to find our Community an amazing source of information, advice, encouragement, and support -- we're all here for you!

We know right now it's hard not to feel worried and overwhelmed, but we can assure you that while you learn more about your diagnosis, and start getting a treatment plan in place, the better you'll start to feel. To get you started understanding your diagnosis, and what it may mean for treatment, check out the main Breastcancer.org site's section on Your Diagnosis, which will explain what each piece of your pathology report means.

Others will be by shortly to help give you hope and advice. Please come back often, ask lots of questions, and get the support you need here. We're right along with you as you navigate this new world! Let us know if we can do anything at all.

--The Mods

• quinnie
    quinnie Member Posts: 113
    edited January 2021

Christinag53: So sorry you are going through this again. I am somewhat similiar to you. 13 years ago I had DCIS on the R side, ER/PR negative. I had lumpectomy and radiation. 8 months ago was diagnosed with IDC on the L side grade one ER/PR positive with negative lymph nodes. Being ER/PR negative and grade 3 is a little more worrysome but until the final pathology report, size etc are known it is hard to know what to expect. I'm glad you are seeing your surgeon so soon. Go with a list of questions: HER 2 status, size, grade, if they are going to do a onco test on the tumor. Others on this site are more familiar with your type diagnosis since mine was only grade 1 and HER 2 negative. Did you have an MRI or other diagnostic texts, genetic testing?

• Christinag53
    edited January 2021

Thank you for the info. I do know the lump was about 1cm. The part that scares me the most is being grade 3 and ER-/PR-. I don’t knowHer2 status but will ask tomorrow.

• mamasha
    mamasha Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2021

just sending a virtual hug.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,044
    edited January 2021

Hope you are HER2+. That give you lots more treatment options.

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    edited January 2021

I was diagnosed with triple negative cancer (along with a couple of other kinds of breast cancer) on 8/29/2016. Grade 3, KI67 of 96%. I'm still here. Triple negative is scary, but it's not a death sentence. There are treatment options.

You may want to check out the triple negative threads. Chances are someone has had a similar diagnosis to yours.

Good luck. You'll feel better once you get a treatment plan in place.

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301
    edited January 2021

Just want to send support! Of course you're worried... you received good info and suggestions from the others. Hope you get some additional answers/guidance at your appointment. The fewer unknowns the better - Best with the appointment!

• Christinag53
    edited January 2021

Thank you everyone for the replies so far. My head is just spinning. I feel so lost right now

• Gradyep
    Gradyep Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2021

Christinag5-

I’m so very sorry for what you are going through. The not-knowing is the worst. When we don’t have a full picture, we tend to focus on the worst case scenarios. You will feel much better after meeting with your surgeon and having a plan. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way

• Christinag53
    edited January 2021

Just got back from the dr. It is stage 1. ER-/Pr- HER2+

Tumor is very small. She said I will need 6 doses of chemo. They are going to start that before surgery. She said the type of chemo works extremely well with this type of tumor so that is why she wants to start it right away. It’s all so overwhelming. Getting a port put in on Tuesday.

• quinnie
    quinnie Member Posts: 113
    edited January 2021

Christina: THis is all good news for you. Its hard to believe that anything is good with breast cancer but yours should be easily treatable. Have you had genetic testing? Mine was all negative but have a significant family history of BC. Grandma, Mom, 2 aunts, 6 cousins. And all are surviviors of BC. Grandma died from old age at 92 so my plan is to be like her!!! Do you mind if I ask you what is your age/? I am 64. First diagnosis at 51.

• Christinag53
    edited January 2021

I am 45. I was 41 when I had DCIS. My aunt had breast cancer but they believe she got it after menopause. Apparently she knew she had a lump for a long time. Imean years!! It had spread everywhere so I thank God I caught this early. It’s going to be rough but I’ll beat this. Definitely not letting cancer take me out! My grandparents on my dad’s side lived to be in their late 90’s. I am planning on at least that.

• melbo
    melbo Member Posts: 266
    edited January 2021

I was diagnosed with the same type of cancer stage 2A. So far I have finished chemo and surgery and should start radiation at the end of the month. Chemo wasn’t a walk in the park, but it was doable. I recommend joining a chemo forum here and reading up on past chemo forums to get an idea of how different women reacted to the medication you will be on

I did six treatments of TCHP (see my stats below for drug names if you don’t know them yet) and had a pathological complete response to the chemo. My oncologist told me that with the medications they use now the majority of his patients with HER2+ disease get a complete response to chemo.

None of this is easy, but just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you will get through this

• Christinag53
    edited January 2021

Thank you so much. I have been struggling this morning but your post gave me hope. I will be having 6 doses of the same chemo. Trying to stay positive is hard sometimes. I jus want to do whatever I can to minimize side effects and stay strong.

• Christinag53
    edited January 2021

@Melbo just noticed you are in Maryland. I live just over the MD/PA line but all of my doctor’s and treatments will be in Westminster

• melbo
    edited January 2021

my biggest advice for minimizing side effects is drink lots and lots of water — which will likely be difficult because chemo will probably affect your taste buds and water will taste terrible. Most of the women in my chemo group (July 2020) struggled to get enough water. I ended up mixing my water with pedialyte to help with the flavor and to replace electrolytes since one of the very common side effects of Perjeta is diarrhea.

I’m South of Baltimore and get treated at the Anne Arundel Medical Center. They have been good to me so far.

• Faith-Strength-Hope-in21
    Faith-Strength-Hope-in21 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2021

Hi there,

I just joined this forum, and saw your post. I was also just diagnosed with IDC after bilateral mastectomy on 12/1.(originally thought to be just a large area of DCIS of the L breast). The IDC of the L breast, grade 2, was 1mm and 3mm in size, nodes negative, margins negative. HER2 positive, ERPR negative. My Oncologist is recommending 12 weeks of chemo (Taxol and Herceptin) followed by Herceptin injections, once every 3 wks for 13 cycles. A Total of 1 yr of treatment. Even though I just had the two tiny microinvasions, and nodes and margins were clear, her thought is that the chemo and targeted therapy would be an added insurance policy just in case there is a "rogue" cancer cell running rampant. I've been on a crazy research expedition ever since, trying to find out as much as I can and decide if the risk outweighs the benefit. One reference I have for you if you like to research, is the APT trial. This is the trial she referenced for me. I'd be happy to share what else I find in my research if you'd like.

• Christinag53
    edited January 2021

I’d appreciate anything you want to share. It’s amazing how dr’s recommend different things. Mine was adamant on doing chemo first. She said the type I’m going to have has amazing results with this type of tumor and that sometimes it will kill it with the first dose. This is all just so overwhelming. Mine was grade 3. I guess that’s the difference maybe.

• melbo
    edited January 2021

chemo and a year of herceptin is absolutely standard for HER2+ disease. It’s an aggressive cancer, but there are good medications that target it.

• minustwo
    edited January 2021

If you are in fact HER2+, you should definitely go with at least Taxotere or Taxol chemo and the Herceptin infusions for a total of 17 I believe. Her 2 positive is very aggressive, and if they know ahead of time, they usually do chemo BEFORE surgery. I think most docs now add Perjeta with the Herceptin, but it was fairly new when I started and I only did that with the first 6 infusions.

My original BMX was for DCIS and they didn't test for HER2+ at that time. And yes, I did have a rogue cell that escaped so I had a recurrence even though they had clear margins & all of the 6 serial nodes they checked were clear.

• Christinag53
    edited January 2021

My dr said 6 doses of TCHP with 3 weeks between each one. Waiting on genetic testing but I think I want a bilateral mastectomy after chemo. Especially since I already had DCIS on the other side.

Anyone changing their diet as well? I’m eliminating sugar, alcohol and red meat right now. Only caffeine is in green tea or matcha. Trying to go as plant based as possible. When I do have have meat or eggs I’m doing organic. Also juicing a lot and having a lot of smoothies. Trying to boost my immunity as much as possible

• minustwo
    edited January 2021

Christina - Chemo isn't easy but you can do it. I did not change my diet before starting. I lost 60 lbs with chemo and had to eat whatever I could consume.

• Christinag53
    edited January 2021

Thank you for saying that. Chemo was my biggest fear but you guys are making me feel better about it. I only weigh 110 so I really don’t want to lose much at all. I want to eat healthy but I’ll eat what I can to keep my weight up

• minustwo
    edited January 2021

Christina - oh yes, you can do this. Of course healthy is important. But you will need lots of protein and you're talking about cutting red meat. One thing that MD ANderson recommends is BeneProtein. I added it to Instant Breakfast and oatmeal and everything since there's no taste. I did not give up alcohol because my MO told some great stories about other docs. His recommendation was maybe I should hold off on the Gin & Tonic on the infusion days. And I had previously given up Coca Colas because of the sugar & the bone health. When nothing else tasted good, the MO said it was better to drink those than not get liquid. I'm sure that will cause controversy, but...

So my watchword was and still is MODERATION. I don't specifically give up anything, but I don't overdo.

• Christinag53
    edited January 2021

Thanks for the info and for telling me I can do this. That is the thing I need to hear the most right now.

• minustwo
    edited January 2021

Christina: Here's a link that will give you lots of hints - even if you just read the header.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topics...

• msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 184
    edited January 2021

hello sweetie want to give you some encouragement. I was planning our 2nd marriages when i discovered the lump in the shower. That was September got biopsy early october and then 2nd opinion which was same mastectomy. I wanted lumpectomy but fiance said ill love you with one breast too. Diagnosed at 42yrs old idc stage2 0/3 nodes 3mo chemo before and after Lmast (got married) then 7wks rads then 5yrs on Tamoxifen. Had reconstruction but got fever 103 rush to hospital expander removed body rejected it. Use prothesis in my bras and bathing suits cant tell. Hope and Positive thinking with my faith got me thru. This yr i will be a 27 yr Survivor Praise God. msphil. And this is the right place to hear from others going thru and been thru.

• Christinag53
    edited January 2021

27 years is amazing!!! My oncologist yesterday told me this is totally treatable and there is no reason I can’t live another 40-50 years after this. Your message made me feel so good this morning. Thank you!!

• Mcodoluto
    Mcodoluto Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2021

I was recently diagnosed with IDC ER and PR+ HER2-Stage 1 and had a lumpectomy(1.4cm) and all margins were clear. My oncologist recommended 28 treatments of radiation along with 5yrs of Letrozole. Has anyone in this forum been on Letrozole and if so what were your side effects if any. I was so apprehensive about taking it but I am aware of the protocol for my particular BC so of course I will take it. Thank you all.

• Sadie1960
    Sadie1960 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2021

I’m doing this too! Food choices are so important. Hi. I’m new...haven’t got my I go input yet. I’ve already had lumpectomy so am waiting for pathology. Frightening!