Topic: Apparently I Am "Just Diagnosed." :(

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: Jan 13, 2021 12:34PM - edited Nov 22, 2022 09:23AM by lw422

Posted on: Jan 13, 2021 12:34PM - edited Nov 22, 2022 09:23AM by lw422

lw422 wrote:

Hello everyone. Here I am, terrified and confused like most of you were when you got "The News No One Wants To Hear." I had what appeared to be a light pink bruise on my right breast the week before Christmas and wasn't concerned. Watched it for a week or so to see if it would go away and decided to Google. Bad idea, but at least it prompted me to see my PCP right away. (Note that I have no peau-de-orange, no heat in the breast, no 1/3 of breast turning red, no lump, no hardness, no itching, no other apparent symptoms other than breast is slightly swollen and a light pink "bruise".)

My doctor took one look and said I needed to have a mammo/sono and I scheduled them as soon as I could. Luckily for me, I live 25 miles from MD Anderson in Houston, so that's where I spent my day yesterday. I had a diagnostic mammogram w/tomo, a sonogram, and two biopsies...needle biopsy to lymph node and core biopsy to the largest mass in my breast with clip placement. I will have followup MRI and skin punch biopsies next week (hopefully) and meet with my "team."

There are no results back from the core biopsy yet but the lymph node was positive for cancer so I'm pretty sure I know what the core biopsy will say. Naturally my biggest fear is IBC, so even though I'm holding it together so far, an IBC diagnosis will be devastating (not that any BC diagnosis isn't devastating, but IBC... UGH.)

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Page 30 of 36 (355 results)

Mar 1, 2021 02:26PM lw422 wrote:

Hello Shazza. I was diagnosed with IDC and IBC. So far my treatment has been chemotherapy (Taxol). I will follow Taxol with AC, then mastectomy, then radiation.

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Mar 2, 2021 09:12AM pesky904 wrote:

Hi LW422, just wondering how you're doing? Can I ask your age/are you pre/peri/post menopausal?

I too had a thickened endometerium last year (3 years post stage III TNBC dx). Had the biopsy, turned out okay and was supposed to have a follow up transvaginal US last fall but because of Covid I've been putting everything off.

​dx 6/17 stage III TNBC 6cm tumor Taxol 7-8/17 tumor grew to 10cm AC 9-10/17 tumor shrunk to 3cm DMX 11/17 expanders placed Rads 33 doses + cisplatin 1/18 Cisplatin discontinued due to SEs Xeloda 4-10/2018 Exch surgery 11/18

Mar 2, 2021 09:43AM lw422 wrote:

Hello Pesky (cute nickname!) I'm way past menopause; in my late 60's. I'm doing OK except I have cancer. :biggrin: I'm certainly no expert, but I'd say if you had a clean biopsy last year, it's no biggie to postpone the followup for a bit. I hope everything turns out well for you. I had already decided that if there were malignant cells in my uterus, I'd be happy to let it go. My GYN said a hysterectomy would be done at the same time as my mastectomy, but as it turned out I don't need it after all.

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Mar 2, 2021 08:26PM DH320 wrote:

Hi,

I've been diagnosed in January and are still trying to process. I stumbled across your pages googling.

I still got one more mri guided biopsy in front of me and then my docs deciding which way we're going.

I have a invasive ductal carcinoma 2.8cm right breast with axillary metastasis. After a mri they found a 1cm irregular mass and enlarged lymph node in the left breast. At the moment I'm feeling helpless and overwhelmed.

Dx 1/6/2021, IDC: Tubular, Both breasts, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Surgery 3/21/2021 Lumpectomy: Left, Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 4/22/2021 TAC

Mar 2, 2021 08:50PM lw422 wrote:

Hello DH320 and welcome to the club no one wants to join. We can all understand how you are feeling right now, so feel free to talk about your fears and ask any questions. We'll try to help if only to let you know that we are here, and we understand. Once you get a full diagnosis and a treatment plan in place, you won't feel quite as anxious. It is a bumpy ride, but we are here for you.

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Mar 3, 2021 03:11PM lw422 wrote:

So today my treatment room was near the nurse's station. Two of the nurses were discussing another patient who had died and I found it extremely distasteful. Apparently the woman had been diagnosed and then lived less than 6 months, and they were saying how sad it is.

Yes, it's sad. It also does not need to be discussed where nervous people currently in treatment can hear you. I guess I'm more sensitive than I used to be about stuff.

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Mar 3, 2021 03:21PM Astrid wrote:

Absolutely. Sensitivity to working environment is key. A word or email to N.IC might benefit them and help fine their care.

How are you doing L-Dub? Heart

"You cannot step into the same river twice, for other waters are continually flowing on." Heraclitus Dx 6/2002, IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Dx 7/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Dx 6/2012, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2-, Surgery Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy AC Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Chest wall

Mar 3, 2021 03:27PM lw422 wrote:

Hey Astrid. I'm doing well; how are you? I have Taxol #3 under my belt as of today, so moving right along.

I get "patient surveys" periodically so I will definitely send my thoughts on the nurses' discussion today. I was surprised that they were not more sensitive to their work environment.

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Mar 3, 2021 03:28PM Astrid wrote:

Hi and welcome DH320.

So sorry you are going through this, but glad you found this wonderful website.

Once you have your full diagnosis you can find a few threads here that you relate to, like for chemo or radiation treatment, staging, or type of cancer like your IDC and also your hormonal status.

So much to go through yet, and no wonder you are feeling overwhelmed!

Keep us posted as you get more unfo. It sounds like you might have bi-lateral breast cancer. I had that..and went through double mastectomy and lymph node removal. I'm stull here many years later, despite some local recurrences.

A day at a time.

Sending you a cyber hug

Astrid.Heart

"You cannot step into the same river twice, for other waters are continually flowing on." Heraclitus Dx 6/2002, IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Dx 7/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Dx 6/2012, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2-, Surgery Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy AC Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Chest wall

Mar 11, 2021 10:39AM lw422 wrote:

So Taxol #4 is in the record books, and so far all is well. I am noticing some improvement in my cancerous breast; swelling has gone down and it is not as tender feeling. I'm very hopeful that this is an indicator that the Taxol is doing its job. I have settled into my treatment and finally have reached a level of calm. I wouldn't have believed it possible a month ago and I'm so grateful.

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Page 30 of 36 (355 results)

Scroll to top button