Topic: Apparently I Am "Just Diagnosed." :(

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: Jan 14, 2021 09:34AM - edited Nov 23, 2022 06:23AM by lw422

Posted on: Jan 14, 2021 09:34AM - edited Nov 23, 2022 06:23AM by lw422

lw422 wrote:

Hello everyone. Here I am, terrified and confused like most of you were when you got "The News No One Wants To Hear." I had what appeared to be a light pink bruise on my right breast the week before Christmas and wasn't concerned. Watched it for a week or so to see if it would go away and decided to Google. Bad idea, but at least it prompted me to see my PCP right away. (Note that I have no peau-de-orange, no heat in the breast, no 1/3 of breast turning red, no lump, no hardness, no itching, no other apparent symptoms other than breast is slightly swollen and a light pink "bruise".)

My doctor took one look and said I needed to have a mammo/sono and I scheduled them as soon as I could. Luckily for me, I live 25 miles from MD Anderson in Houston, so that's where I spent my day yesterday. I had a diagnostic mammogram w/tomo, a sonogram, and two biopsies...needle biopsy to lymph node and core biopsy to the largest mass in my breast with clip placement. I will have followup MRI and skin punch biopsies next week (hopefully) and meet with my "team."

There are no results back from the core biopsy yet but the lymph node was positive for cancer so I'm pretty sure I know what the core biopsy will say. Naturally my biggest fear is IBC, so even though I'm holding it together so far, an IBC diagnosis will be devastating (not that any BC diagnosis isn't devastating, but IBC... UGH.)

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Page 31 of 36 (355 results)

Mar 12, 2021 01:50PM lw422 wrote:

Hey there Jana! Hope you are doing well these days. My chemo schedule at MDA seems to have permanently migrated to League City. I'm not really happy about that but I'm sure they are trying to get everyone scheduled somewhere so I'll just take it as it comes. I have an ultrasound later this month at Mays, I assume to see how things are progressing. Take care.

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Mar 12, 2021 02:30PM minustwo wrote:

LW - I agree. So glad you've "settled in", but sorry you're having to trek to League City. Will Taxol be your only chemo? Have they talked about "down the road"? Do you expect to have surgery after chemo. Was there a discussion about rads?

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Mar 12, 2021 02:47PM lw422 wrote:

Hey -2. Yes, I will be having dose-dense AC after Taxol, then a mastectomy, then radiation. I get the "full monte." :biggrin: That is pretty much the standard for IBC. I'm dreading AC because I know it will be harder than Taxol, but we gotta do what we gotta do!

I don't like the League City facility as much as Mays or the main MDA building, but I suppose that's a small thing in the grand scheme. This week I had to have blood work at Mays, meet with my MO there, then drive to League City for the chemo...ugh. That was a long day. Most times the lab work is done at the same place as chemo but I guess since I had my meeting with the doctor they did it there.

Hope things are going well for you.

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Mar 12, 2021 10:15PM Astrid wrote:

Hi LW

Glad to hear your breast feels a bit different. It sounds very positive.

It sucks that you have to travel so much

But wonderful to read that you now feel a sense of calm.

That is soooo good.

HeartAstrid.

"You cannot step into the same river twice, for other waters are continually flowing on." Heraclitus Dx 6/2002, IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Dx 7/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Dx 6/2012, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2-, Surgery Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy AC Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Chest wall

Mar 13, 2021 04:29PM lw422 wrote:

Hey there Astrid. I hope all is well with you. I'm feeling pretty good these days and so glad the initial anxiety has settled down. These 2 months seemed like years to me. Take care.

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Mar 22, 2021 09:13AM lw422 wrote:

So this week I'll be halfway done with Taxol, and I have to say that it has been fairly easy thus far. I'm dreading what's to come, but dread is my constant companion since January.

Where did my life go? :crybaby:

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Mar 22, 2021 10:48AM minustwo wrote:

LW- thanks for checking in. I have been wondering how you're doing. Sounds OK other than the constant driving.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Mar 22, 2021 11:05AM lw422 wrote:

Thanks, -2. Just when I thought I was getting a grip, another unscheduled pity party. I hate my life right now.

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Mar 22, 2021 11:12AM minustwo wrote:

I know where you're at LW. My best word of advice for the today - it's the first day of spring & we are having a lovely day. Get outside and try to breathe in & out deeply (without getting too much pollen). Take your mind off the treatment and the disease for even just a few moments if you can. Hang in there girl. Remember the old advice - you don't have to be brave, you just have to put one foot in front of the other. And your mind can be in neutral to do that.

Mar 22, 2021 10:23PM Astrid wrote:

Hey L-Dub

Seems entirely sane of you to shed some tears and mourn life as it was.

It's a good time to be extremely kind and gentle with yourself. Ask your inner child how she is doing and if she'd like anything in particular when you get a few still moments...

I remember doing that and she said 'chicken soup' please...which made me laugh but I made it for me and little me and we both felt much better.

SmileHug

"You cannot step into the same river twice, for other waters are continually flowing on." Heraclitus Dx 6/2002, IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Dx 7/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Dx 6/2012, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2-, Surgery Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy AC Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Chest wall

Page 31 of 36 (355 results)

Scroll to top button