Topic: Apparently I Am "Just Diagnosed." :(

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: Jan 13, 2021 03:34PM - edited Nov 12, 2021 12:58AM by lw422

Posted on: Jan 13, 2021 03:34PM - edited Nov 12, 2021 12:58AM by lw422

lw422 wrote:

Hello everyone. Here I am, terrified and confused like most of you were when you got "The News No One Wants To Hear." I had what appeared to be a light pink bruise on my right breast the week before Christmas and wasn't concerned. Watched it for a week or so to see if it would go away and decided to Google. Bad idea, but at least it prompted me to see my PCP right away. (Note that I have no peau-de-orange, no heat in the breast, no 1/3 of breast turning red, no lump, no hardness, no itching, no other apparent symptoms other than breast is slightly swollen and a light pink "bruise".)

My doctor took one look and said I needed to have a mammo/sono and I scheduled them as soon as I could. Luckily for me, I live 25 miles from MD Anderson in Houston, so that's where I spent my day yesterday. I had a diagnostic mammogram w/tomo (whatever that means), a sonogram, and two biopsies...needle biopsy to lymph node and core biopsy to the largest mass in my breast with clip placement. I will have followup MRI and skin punch biopsies next week (hopefully) and meet with my "team."

There are no results back from the core biopsy yet but the lymph node was positive for cancer so I'm pretty sure I know what the core biopsy will say. Naturally my biggest fear is IBC, so even though I'm holding it together so far, an IBC diagnosis will be devastating (not that any BC diagnosis isn't devastating, but IBC... UGH.)

Here's a little blurb from My Chart sonogram test results:

Right breast:
There is right breast global skin thickening, correlating with mammography. A dominant area of right breast skin thickening is seen at 3 o'clock position and correlates with an area of erythema. Skin thickening measures 0.5 cm maximally. There is no sonographic correlation for mammographic asymmetry in the anterior central breast.

There are multiple subcentimeter masses in the upper outer quadrant. This appears to correlate with the mammographic finding of asymmetry in the lateral breast. The largest mass is irregular and hypoechoic with angular margins at 10 o'clock position, 12 cm from the nipple measuring 0.9 x 0.6 x 0.5 cm. This mass was targeted for core biopsy and clip placement today.

Right nodal basins:
There is one malignant-appearing right axillary level I lymph node measuring 1.9 x 1.3 x 1.2 cm with replacement of the fatty hilum. This correlates with the mammogram finding of an abnormal-appearing lymph node. This lymph node was targeted for fine-needle aspiration and clip placement.

There is no right axillary level II, axillary level III, or internal mammary lymphadenopathy. There is no suspicious-appearing lymph node in the right supraclavicular region.

ACR BI-RADS Category: 5: Highly suggestive of malignancy.
Skin punch biopsy is recommended for right breast erythema.
Breast MRI is recommended.

Since I don't have the details of what type of cancer I have yet, I'll just put this here and move to the appropriate section once I know for certain what I am facing. I have been reading this forum for about a month but had nothing to contribute except a bunch of angst-filled questions, so I mainly read to see if others had already asked them. Nice to meet you all and I wish the best for all of us.

Page 36 of 36 (355 results)

Jun 12, 2022 09:15PM moderators wrote:

Oh believegr8things, we're so sorry you find yourself in this predicament all around! lw422 says it so well. Great suggestions. It may be that you need to temporarily hire or solicit additional help to stay on track with what you need to do for your health. We hope you get the support you and she needs to move past this difficult time.

Hugs, The Mods

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Sep 1, 2022 02:01PM dizzydodo wrote:

I am fairly new to diagnosis of breast cancer left breast. Cancer lump in lower left side of breast has been a pain. I keep getting little "zingers" thru my left nipple. Working on mobility in left arm...not sure how careful they are during the surgery nor how they pin that left arm back. Not fun anyway but working on keeping mobility at a very good level. I have young grands, tho I am 70+ so I need to have strength in that left arm and mobility. I went on tamoxifen, and have had such dizziness that it is really interfering with walking and even driving. I am going to stop it. I wanted a mastectomy, but that has not happened yet. Prior to this cancer I was quite active with gardening, walking, line dancing. Diagnosis: ER+ PR+ Intraductal is the diagnosis. Lymph nodes were all negative for cancer. Doctor put me on Letrozole. After reading the side effects I decided not to use Letrozole. Next was/is Tamoxaphen. I started out on it over a month ago. The biggest issue is dizzyness. It seems to be getting worse. Any advice on this? I had to pull over and asked my husband to drive again. We were taking turns driving to a funeral several hours away. I have never before been dizzy when driving, and it was very weird! Sitting still, looking forward, and suddenly feeling like I am piloting a spinning plane. Has anyone out there had this happen? My blood pressure is going UP also on this drug. Thank you for your comments!!! suzie

Sep 1, 2022 04:23PM moderators wrote:

Dear dizzydodo,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are sorry that your cancer diagnosis brought you here but so glad that you reached out to join us. You may want to check out the forum on Hormonal Therapy where others may see your questions and be able to respond. There are a number of active topics that address questions about Tamoxifen or you can start your own topic. Let us know how we can be of assistance so you can connect to the support and information that you need.

The Mods

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Sep 1, 2022 04:32PM lw422 wrote:

Hello Suzie and welcome to the place nobody wants to be. Sorry for your diagnosis and for the issues you're having with treatment. I didn't have Tamoxifen but there are lots of threads about it. Use the forum search feature and you'll get a lot of information. Good luck and I hope the dizziness and BP issues will be resolved. Take care.

Sep 2, 2022 06:02AM - edited Sep 2, 2022 06:03AM by rah2464

Dizzydodo sorry to hear the Tamoxifen is impacting you in this way. Please get to your MO and have a frank discussion about options. Perhaps you can go on a low dose (5 mg) and see how that works rather than take nothing at all. This medication can be extremely dehydrating which might account for some of your issues. Try adding a small gatorade daily into your increased (ha) water intake to counter some of the effects.

Dx 5/23/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/27/2018 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 7/27/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 36 of 36 (355 results)

Scroll to top button