Topic: Apparently I Am "Just Diagnosed." :(

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: Jan 13, 2021 03:34PM - edited Nov 22, 2022 12:23PM by lw422

Posted on: Jan 13, 2021 03:34PM - edited Nov 22, 2022 12:23PM by lw422

lw422 wrote:

Hello everyone. Here I am, terrified and confused like most of you were when you got "The News No One Wants To Hear." I had what appeared to be a light pink bruise on my right breast the week before Christmas and wasn't concerned. Watched it for a week or so to see if it would go away and decided to Google. Bad idea, but at least it prompted me to see my PCP right away. (Note that I have no peau-de-orange, no heat in the breast, no 1/3 of breast turning red, no lump, no hardness, no itching, no other apparent symptoms other than breast is slightly swollen and a light pink "bruise".)

My doctor took one look and said I needed to have a mammo/sono and I scheduled them as soon as I could. Luckily for me, I live 25 miles from MD Anderson in Houston, so that's where I spent my day yesterday. I had a diagnostic mammogram w/tomo, a sonogram, and two biopsies...needle biopsy to lymph node and core biopsy to the largest mass in my breast with clip placement. I will have followup MRI and skin punch biopsies next week (hopefully) and meet with my "team."

There are no results back from the core biopsy yet but the lymph node was positive for cancer so I'm pretty sure I know what the core biopsy will say. Naturally my biggest fear is IBC, so even though I'm holding it together so far, an IBC diagnosis will be devastating (not that any BC diagnosis isn't devastating, but IBC... UGH.)

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Page 5 of 36 (355 results)

Jan 14, 2021 05:43PM - edited Jan 14, 2021 05:43PM by sondraf

Just a dye - radioactive tracers are only injected for nuclear bone scans and are done via a needle, not a cannula.

The position for the MRI is almost like getting a massage done at a spa. Keep telling yourself you are at a spa and you will be fine!

"The closer we come to the negative, to death, the more we blossom" - Montgomery Clift Dx 9/27/2019, IDC, Right, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/29/2019 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 11/29/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Surgery 11/28/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Right) Targeted Therapy 3/1/2022 Lynparza (olaparib)

Jan 14, 2021 05:52PM taralynn wrote:

glad the MRI is scheduled pretty quickly! It’s not painful and not claustrophobic as you’re on your belly. The tech did warn me I may feel nauseous from the injection used (but that didn’t happen!) I did feel a bit dizzy at first and while moving from my position when it was over. She didn’t warn me of that beforehand, so I got a bit nervous. but She explained it was from the magnetic pull I think? So crazy.

My actual MRI took about 20 mins. Not sure why they said 2 hours, maybe paperwork and such??

Mom of 3, Diagnosed at 39. Dx 10/15/2020, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 2/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/15/2020 Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel; Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Radiation Therapy 9/13/2021 Right breast, Lymph nodes Chemotherapy AC

Jan 14, 2021 06:01PM alicebastable wrote:

I thought the MRI was worse than the biopsy or surgery, but there was construction at the hospital and they were having to use a portable unit in a trailer. The technician seemed a little flustered - maybe they'd just started using the trailer unit - and I don't think I got positioned quite right on my sternum. Make sure they let you take your time getting as comfortable as possible, because once you're positioned, you can't move until it's over.

Ignore treatment info (below) which is a BCO glitch. Do not enter personal information on this site since they grossly mishandled a data breach.

Jan 14, 2021 06:03PM lw422 wrote:

Thanks for the MRI info, Sondra and Taralynn.

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Jan 14, 2021 06:10PM - edited Jan 14, 2021 06:11PM by lw422

I guess I need to get my boarding pass for the next bus to "Crazy Town." Next Tuesday is the MRI and Wednesday I am scheduled into the MDAnderson IBC Clinic for a consultation with the "IBC team."

I am so freaked out right now; I have to assume that my mammogram/ sonogram/biopsy results and physical examinations have them already convinced that I have IBC. I thought I'd need that skin punch thing as the ultimate diagnostic but apparently not. I hope I don't have a damn stroke from sheer anxiety.

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Jan 14, 2021 07:08PM wrenn wrote:

lw22, I would be freaking too but remember that your doctor told you it was IDC and try to stay with that. They are being thorough and ruling things out. Many of us got prescriptions for ativan in the beginning because it can be sooooo stressful before you actually have all of the information and know what to expect. Be good to yourself. Maybe some relaxing podcasts or meditation stuff? Take care.

Triple Negative Metaplastic. I had one dose of Cytoxan/Taxotere and was then cut off due to complications. Surgery 8/16/2013 Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Left): Simple; Mastectomy (Right): Simple

Jan 14, 2021 07:15PM lw422 wrote:

Thank you, Wrenn. I seriously need to stop googling and just let my doctors lead me through treatment. Everything I look up on the internet just stokes my "high anxiety" fire. Hard to believe that a month ago my biggest concern was whether my Amazon order was going to get delivered in time for Christmas. Life certainly has a way of jerking the rug out from under a person.

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Jan 14, 2021 10:12PM taralynn wrote:

LW, yes please stop googling!! I’m really the pot calling the kettle black here because I was a horrible googler. Now I want to kick myself from a few months ago.

Just keep reading my initial response to you. I had IDC with redness and swelling! No IBC! It’s possible! But Google will only lead you to all things IBC. But again, if it is IBC, your team is really on top of things and you’re in the best hands.

Mom of 3, Diagnosed at 39. Dx 10/15/2020, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 2/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/15/2020 Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel; Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Radiation Therapy 9/13/2021 Right breast, Lymph nodes Chemotherapy AC

Jan 14, 2021 11:10PM lw422 wrote:

Taralynn--I'm so glad that you don't have IBC, but I don't believe I'm as "lucky" (if any breast cancer victim can be called lucky.) MD Anderson has already assigned me to the IBC "team" even without the skin punch biopsy so that lets me know that they believe that is my diagnosis. I'll know for sure next Wednesday when I meet with them.

My breast is much more red and bruised looking today, I suppose because of the harsh diagnostic mammogram, sonogram, and 2 biopsies on Tuesday. (That was the worst and most painful mammo I have ever had.)

So I have stopped googling but I feel resigned to my fate. Once again, I appreciate everyone's help and support; this is a great place to be when faced with a common enemy.

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Jan 14, 2021 11:16PM taralynn wrote:

it’s definitely a very helpful community here, in all aspects of this journey we’ve been thrust into. Once you get some more answers and a plan in place, things get better, that was hard for me to believe at first but it’s true. Sending hugs

Page 5 of 36 (355 results)

Scroll to top button