Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Suggested treatment

Options
Sue2021
Sue2021 Member Posts: 4
edited May 2021 in Just Diagnosed

I am 49-year-old woman diagnosed with invasive carcinoma (NST). The Histopathology report states that a US guided trucut biopsy confirms a malignant mass in 12 o'clock position in the left breast. The provisional tumour grade is Nottingham grade II. No lympho-vascular invasion. Category is B 5 b (invasive malignancy).

Would like to have your opinion on what should be the best treatment?

Comments

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,591
    Options

Sue2021, I'm sorry, too, about your diagnosis. You will likely be meeting with an MO (Medical Oncologist), RO (Radiation Oncologist) and a surgeon. You will see most of use abbreviations for our doctors, treatments, etc. Don't be afraid to ask. Most of us here won't bite. :)

This is a scary time, but as you and your doctors develop a treatment plan, things should begin to settle down just a little.

(((hugs)))

Carol

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 464
    Options

just came to say sorry you have had to join us

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,747
    Options

sue,

I agree with the previous comments but bear in mind that none (well, most) of us are medical professionals nor are we qualified to evaluate your case. When you’ve met with your mo and developed a treatment plan you can then seek a second opinion . Bottom line is that you have to be comfortable with the plan and it’s not always possible or desirable to compare yourself to someone who seems to have a similar dx. All the best

• tntnsd
    tntnsd Member Posts: 124
    Options

Hi Sue

I am so sorry that you have join this club. I have to say it is the club we really don’t want more people to join but if one has to, it’s where one feel most relieved and less alone on the fight of bread cancer.

I am 49 too when I was diagnosed end of last year. I was so scared when googling into about my diagnosis and breast cancer, until I found this board. Yes, your treatment will likely involve breast surgeon, medical oncologist and/or medical radiologist. You will have a treatment plan (based on hormone receptor status, and HER2). It will be some more imaging (MRI to see if they miss anything), genetics testing..., but they are all doable once you meet your team of doctors.

Hope you have a great support system at home.

Hug

• Sue2021
    Options

Hi, thank you all for the warm messages and responses. Appreciate it.

I have updated my diagnosis with respect to tumour size, hormone status and Her-2 status. Can I have some advise on the adjuvant therapy please? Appreciate your time and effort. The lumpectomy has already been completed on 27th April 2021.

The additional information is that the Ki67 score was 40%

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,939
    Options

You'll need to make your updates public in the settings section so they'll show up.

• Sue2021
    Options

Thanks Alice. Just changed the settings :)

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

Sue - sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis but glad you are already making progress in your treatment path. Has surgeon or MO ordered an Oncotype test to determine further characteristics? This is usually done to determine whether or not chemotherapy treatment is reco. Initially it seems like you get a treatment plan set up in stages. That is because each additional piece of information is important in determining best course for you. Hope you get a low Oncotype number and that radiation therapy is easy to complete.

• elainetherese
    elainetherese Member Posts: 1,625
    Options

Hi!

A Ki score of 40% suggests that you had a tumor that was growing quickly. But, most oncologists would not make treatment recommendations on the basis of a Ki score alone. Rah2464 is right; what you need is an Oncotype Test to determine whether the benefits of chemo outweigh the risks. If you end up with a low oncotype score, you won't get chemo, though your doctors will likely recommend hormonal therapy. ((Hugs))

• Sue2021
    Options

Thank you Rah2464 and ElaineThere for your prompt replies and kind words. The oncologist is suggesting the oncotype dx test to be done. Hopefully with the results we can take an informed decision. Hormonal therapy has also been recommended.

The other question I have is, since radiation seems to be a given, what is the opinion on doing chemo before or after radiation?

Thanks for all your support