Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

What to Expect 1st appointment Surgical Oncologist

Options
tyggerj
tyggerj Member Posts: 13
edited March 2022 in Just Diagnosed

My cancer was found during routine mammogram, I never felt a lump. I have my first appointment with the surgical oncologist on March 3. I have waited 3 weeks for this appointment as my gyn referred me to Moffitt Cancer center which is an hour away. He wanted me to go see the same doctor that did his mom's breast cancer surgery. This has given me a lot of time to read all these message boards. I have made peace with the fact that I will need some sort of surgery. I am hoping you wonderful ladies can help tell me what I should expect at 1st appointment.

My diagnosis-Left Breast, IDC, Grade 2 2mm linear invasion

Left Breast, DCIS, Grade 2 Solid, Cribriform Pattern

ER/PR + HER - (Fish)

I have extremely dense breast, no mri was done. Should I ask for one?

How soon should I expect to have surgery?

Should I expect the doctor recommend lumpectomy/mastectomy or do they let you decide?

What additional testing will I need to go through prior to surgery?

Thanks for all your help

Comments

• piperkay
    piperkay Member Posts: 132
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi tyggerj. You have some good questions and you have found a great place to ask them. My own cancer was found by mammogram and I have dense breasts, never felt the lump at all, though it was small. I then had an ultrasound and needle biopsy from which the initial diagnosis was made. There were a couple of weeks between the mammo and ultrasound, and then a couple of days between ultrasound and biopsy. A few days after the biopsy I was called with the results and given information about how to make an appointment with a breast surgeon. Thanksgiving happened in the middle of this, and I saw the surgeon right after that long weekend. From the mammo to the surgical consult was about 5 weeks total. My surgeon told me about the probable triple negative diagnosis and about the choice to be made between lumpectomy (aka partial mastectomy) and full mastectomy. That appointment was on a Tuesday, and I could have had my surgery the following Monday, but I pushed it back one more week. The timing of these things varies greatly due to local and regional differences in the availability of health care resources, but it's always best to push for things to happen as quickly as possible. Time is definitely of the essence.

Many more ladies on this site will be able to give you additional and more detailed information, but I wanted to make sure you knew your message was received! Take a deep breath and get ready for a rollercoaster ride. We're here to help in any way we can.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,921
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi tyggerj,

You may find this list of Questions to Ask Your Surgeon helpful!

--The Mods

• msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 185
    edited March 2022
    Options

hello sweetie found my lump in. shower little sore under arm working in medical clinic at time so things did moved pretty fast. After test biopsy etc I was diagnosed with idc oncologist suggested mastectomy. I was planning g our 2nd marriages at time. Get 2nd opinion thought about lumpectomy both suggested mastectomy. Praise God im now this yr a 28 yr Survivor. For Inspiration in like to come back and give my story. msphil idc stage2 0/3 nodes 3 mo chemo before and after Lmast got married 28 yr Anniversary also. Then 7wks on rads and 5yrs on Tamoxifen.