Topic: Invasive Ductal Carcinoma

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: May 24, 2022 07:25PM

Posted on: May 24, 2022 07:25PM

collijr wrote:

I was diagnosed in March. I am 53 years old with no history in the family. I am Pro+/Est+/HER2-. The mass is close to my nipple (@1:00/2.5 cm deep). It is 11mm in size. I'm having a tough time deciding between Lumpectomy/Radiation or Mastectomy. Also not sure about reconstruction or flat. There's so many decisions to be made. It's tough!

Surgery 6/1/2022 Lumpectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy Left breast

Page 2 of 2 (16 results)

May 28, 2022 04:18PM alicebastable wrote:

My radiation was also almost four years ago, and all I got was some dark pink on my clavicle and dry skin elsewhere - all very temporary. They did a wider field and 33 sessions on me due to a micromet. If your nodes are clean, it should be fewer sessions. What helped me with the tedium of going every day was the pack of dollar lottery tickets my husband bought for me at the beginning! Scratch the date off the schedule, then scratch off the lottery ticket. It actually made it kind of fun in a crazy way. I had early morning sessions and since I don't drive, Hubby just shifted his schedule by a half hour or so thanks to FMLA. We'd usually drive through a park right after my session which helped tremendously with the mental part.

Ignore treatment info (below) which is a BCO glitch. Do not enter personal information on this site since they grossly mishandled a data breach.

May 28, 2022 06:42PM k-gobby wrote:

I did not choose flat. Once I was told I could have a skin saving implant I went with it.

I met with the Rad Dr to review radiation after my left mastectomy and expander. I was supposed to get radiation. In the end, he said my type is sbout 2%of the population. It might offer an extra 1-2% longer life. If I was his family, he said I would tell them not to do it. There are other treatments. He said the possible long term effects balance my benefit. I could still have done it.

So chemo first, that stopped after 13 rounds due to blood troubles. I still will have radiation choices as I never had it as I said above.

What I want to say is I always asked the doctors and women here and a couple friends with cancer. I did not scour the internet, which can drum up fear. I like what I have heard, that once your breasts are gone, they are gone. Find our the risk. What those with your numbers have had the best results with. Make your choice from there that feels right in your gut and heart, not head. Those voices up there need to be quiet.

For me, I have the rt breast to come off and both implants in once my blood clot is clear. In 4 months, no problems with my expander. Being that it does not have my nipple, I know it is fake. It feels odd, but I know it is temporary.

Please report back on your Dr visit and talk. I am here for you too.

Chemotherapy 8/14/2021 Other Surgery 2/1/2022 Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Left): Skin Sparing; Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander Targeted Therapy 2/1/2022 Talzenna (talazoparib) Targeted Therapy 2/1/2022 Perjeta (pertuzumab)

May 29, 2022 02:47AM rah2464 wrote:

Alice that hubby of yours is a keeper !

Dx 5/23/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/26/2018 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 7/26/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jun 1, 2022 04:50PM msphil wrote:

hello sweetie we here know your feelings. I wanted to lift you up with my story Inspiration. This yr im a 28yr Survivor Praise God. I was diagnosed as we made 2nd marriages plans I found the lump in shower after 2nd opinion decided to go with mastectomy with reconstruction.. This yr is also Your 28th Wedding Anniversary.msphil idc stage2 0/3 nodes 3mo chemo before and after Lmast then got married then 7wks rads and 5yrs on Tamoxifen helped with no recurrence. Thank God. Positive thoughts and fiance then now husband family friends.. Keep Hope sweetheart.

Jun 1, 2022 06:51PM alicebastable wrote:

Rah2464, I've kept him for almost 40 years, so I agree!

Ignore treatment info (below) which is a BCO glitch. Do not enter personal information on this site since they grossly mishandled a data breach.

Jun 12, 2022 01:24PM msphil wrote:

yes sweetie its tough decisions during this time im a long term Survivor Praise God and like to tell you some of my story for Inspiration wrote a book bout it but Not aloud to mention it. I was diagnosed while making plans our 2nd marriages at 42 with no history of breast cancer in family. Working in medical field in O R as Instrument tech then on City clinic had own office in medical records so when felt lump and discomfort under my arm in shower I know. Had biopsy diagnosed and 2nd opinion is wanted lumpectomy not to go into marriage without breast or reconstruction which I had bout body rejected Expanded as foreign object. So had removed and been living with prosthesis in bras now. Had 3 mo chemo before and after Lmast then got married then 7 wks rads and 5 yrs on Tamoxifen. Im now this yr a 28 yr Survivor. Praise God and we just had our 28 yr wedding Anniversary. Pray this helps. Hope Faith Family my dear Husband helped me thru. msphil idc 0/3 nodes .

Page 2 of 2 (16 results)

Scroll to top button