We are 189,012 members in 81 forums discussing 141,576 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Male Breast Cancer → Topic: New to Board

Topic: New to Board

Forum: Male Breast Cancer — For men who have been diagnosed or are at high risk.

Posted on: Oct 2, 2012 06:32PM

Reddeer56 wrote:

Just joined the board and I have a few questions, maybe other members can help me with? I have read through most of the posts under this forum and most of the locations of lumps are directly under the nipple. I am going in for an ultrasound on Monday and I have lumps that are not under the nipple, but they are very close. I have a rather large one on the right breast above and to the side of the nipple and another one of the left breast that is small and below the nipple. I also have somewhere beteen 30-50 lumps from the left arm pit down to where your watch band would be. They range in sizes. There are a few similar lumps on the right arm around the elbow. None of these hurt or bother me.

My questions are: Do men get BC only under the nipple? Will they do an ultrasound on the lumps in my arm when they are looking at the breast lumps?

Thanks,

Mike

Page 2 of 2 (36 results)

Posts 31 - 36 (36 total)

Jun 17, 2017 01:22PM Traveltext wrote:

Sorry Redder, I missed your question about why they took the lumps nodes. Anyway, they only do this if they think they are cancerous. They mast have thought this. It's too bad they took them, but good news that the pathology found them to be benign.

You would be quite sore post surgery, but things will improve with time. The drains are a nuisance, but follow the draining instructions and go to a clinic and the first sign of infections or if you are at all worried.

The most important thing you have to consider now, is to be aware that your arm is a lymphedema risk because without lymph nodes infections to your arm can cause swelling. Be sure to ask your doctor about a course of action to prevent this, because once you have lymphedema, it is a lifetime condition.

More questions are very welcome.

One percent of those newly diagnosed with breast cancer are guys. I'm one of those. Recently diagnosed and treated for prostate cancer. Now NED for both. More on Male BC here. Dx 3/6/2014, IBC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 2/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/17/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 7/28/2014 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 9/14/2014 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 11/3/2014 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jun 17, 2017 02:08PM Reddeer56 wrote:

Traveltext,

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of lymphedema and its troubles. So far my arm is not swelling up. The Dr.'s assistant thought there might be some swelling in the triceps area, but I cannot say for sure. Definite swelling in the right breast and right side, looks it is not being collected by the drain at all. Feels like there is a big ball of some kind in my armpit area. Strange kind of feeling. I am hoping a lot of this will go away on its own. I am just now sure how the heeling process goes for something like this? Dr. Google is not much help except pointing to breast cancer patients who have this done a lot. Which is why I came back here for some help with this.

To make matters worse, I am a MS, Diabetic, Lupus patient. I fall allot, you should have seen me trying not to fall after the 2 hernias were fixed? Looked like a drunk person staggering out of the bar at last call!! The hospital had me decked out in an orange checkerboard gown. Orange for fall risk patients. You could not help but spot me!! Spent 3 days in the hospital before I could go home. They actually asked me if it would be ok to send me home with a blood pressure of 66/47, I said no. I was very surprised they would even ask such a question.

Jun 17, 2017 02:44PM Traveltext wrote:

When they take your lymph nodes they sever the nerves in the region and you'll find this lack of sensation disguising pain and any warning your brain may receive about trouble in that area. If you have any concerns about the healing process, take yourself to an emergency clinic for investigations. Wednesday for your doctor is a while away.

One percent of those newly diagnosed with breast cancer are guys. I'm one of those. Recently diagnosed and treated for prostate cancer. Now NED for both. More on Male BC here. Dx 3/6/2014, IBC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 2/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/17/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 7/28/2014 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 9/14/2014 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 11/3/2014 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jun 17, 2017 05:54PM MinusTwo wrote:

Sorry to butt in, but you should consider truncal LE. And get a referral to a certified LE/PT. That's what I ended up with. Below is a llnk that a number of BCO people worked on.

http://www.stepup-speakout.org/

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jun 17, 2017 06:36PM Traveltext wrote:

Thanks for pointing that out MT.

Jun 17, 2017 08:01PM - edited Jun 17, 2017 08:29PM by Reddeer56

Minustwo,

Thank you so much for the great tip. I have already spent about an hour looking at the site and it looks really good. Lots of information about what I need to review. Hopefully I will be able to understand and remember it. I have severe cognitive issues due to MS. But, I will spend allot more time reading. I have already found a place to go that is nearby if I need to go see someone. Not sure if insurance covers this, I am on a Medicare PPO plan? Time to go drain my bulb!

Thanks again!!

Page 2 of 2 (36 results)