Topic: Have any men had genetic testing for breast cancer?

Forum: Male Breast Cancer — For men who have been diagnosed or are at high risk.

Posted on: Feb 4, 2016 09:30AM

Posted on: Feb 4, 2016 09:30AM

moderators wrote:

We are looking to get stories from men who have had genetic testing. Have you ever had testing? If so, what were the results? Would you mind sharing your experience with us? If so, please send us a PM, or share it here!

Thanks so much!

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Page 2 of 2 (14 results)

Jul 28, 2016 02:07PM traveltext wrote:

Genetic factors make up around 10-15% of MaleBC cases if you are BRCA2 positive and quite a lot less for BRCA1. That leaves a huge percentage for "other" reasons, including, of course, environmental. Good to have the genetic test, though, since there are obviously people who would be interested in your result. My 43-year-old daughter has joined a regular screening program. My three brothers don't want to be tested. There's some more HERE on the new MaleBC site Rob and I have built. You will see a genetic survey there that might be something you could do. It's a Boston researcher and she's desperate to get more guys doing the survey. You're right though, there's only so much beating yourself about as to the causes, since you will likely never know for sure. Anyway, with good treatment, wou've got an excellent prognosis.

NED breast and prostate cancer. Dx 03/14, IBC, Lgth. 2cm, Stge IIIB, Gde 2B, ER+/PR+, HER2- ; FEC x3, Taxol x3; Mx & 2/23 nodes; Rads x 33; now on tamoxofin. Chemotherapy 3/6/2014 Other Chemotherapy 3/6/2014 AC + T (Taxotere) Chemotherapy 3/10/2014 FAC Hormonal Therapy 4/16/2014 Surgery 7/1/2014 Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy (Left) Surgery 7/23/2014 Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 8/8/2014 Whole breast: Left breast, Lymph nodes Radiation Therapy 8/22/2014 Whole breast: Left breast, Chest wall, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 10/24/2014 Liquid tamoxifen (Soltamox) Hormonal Therapy 10/30/2014 Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2014 Surgery 5/8/2022 Radiation Therapy Surgery Surgery Surgery Hormonal Therapy Surgery Hormonal Therapy Surgery Surgery Surgery Surgery

Oct 22, 2016 02:05PM tymann7 wrote:

I was diagnosed in April of this year of having IDC, in talking about family history with my oncologist, he suggested I have a BRCA test preformed. My sister and two aunts were diagnosed with breast cancer, so this information put me in a higher than normal risk class.

I have a twenty six year old daughter and thinking I may be a carrier was more traumatic than being diagnosed myself.

The doctor tested both the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes and I was ecstatic to find out that neither one had any clinically significant mutation!

WHEW !!

I had a right breast lumpectomy last Monday, and can say everything went well, mass was removed with margins, also sentinal nodes showed no sign of cancer.

Regardless of what my results were, I will still be overcautious about reoccurence, early detection is the key to success!

Dx 4/20/2016, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes Hormonal Therapy 4/24/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 10/16/2016

Feb 3, 2017 06:50AM cliff wrote:

I had the dna test done when I was diagnosed with breast cancer, negative results, I am now a lot more comfortable that I will not pass down breast cancer. Good thing too, My daughter just gave us our first grand child.

Dx 3/16/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, 2/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 3/31/2016 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

May 10, 2018 12:13PM topdubu wrote:

I have been BRCA tested-negative. Three of my six sisters have also had breast cancer--negative for them as well.

Dx 9/2003, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/2006, DCIS, Right, Stage 0, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 11/2016, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 3/17/2020 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Chemotherapy Radiation Therapy Radiation Therapy Chemotherapy Chemotherapy Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right) Surgery Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib)

Page 2 of 2 (14 results)

Scroll to top button