We are 203,182 members in 81 forums discussing 147,655 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Male Breast Cancer → Topic: We lost another man. Thanks pink charities.

Topic: We lost another man. Thanks pink charities.

Forum: Male Breast Cancer — For men who have been diagnosed or are at high risk.

Posted on: Feb 25, 2018 04:53AM - edited Feb 25, 2018 06:18AM by Traveltext

Traveltext wrote:

Another member of the Male Breast Cancer Cialition has passed away:

This is a sad day. My condolences to his family.

The pink charities should accept that they are very much to blame for Michael's death, since they, by and large, keep men in the dark about this disease. Michael knew this when he said:

"The toughest thing was that I was diagnosed pretty late," he says. "If I'd been a woman, I'd have been more aware of the risk factors and family history, and that I was a candidate for breast cancer."

We all need to do more to bring about change in the ways the pink charities present breast cancer to society. I mean, how successful are breast cancer awareness campaigns when under half the population don't know that men get this disease too? Our diagnosis is later, and our prognosis is poorer. We're literallydying for change.

NED breast and prostate cancer. More on Male BC

Dx 03/14, IBC, Lgth. 2cm, Stge IIIB, Gde 2B, ER+/PR+, HER2- ; FEC x3, Taxol x3; Mx & 2/23 nodes; Rads x 33; now on tamoxofin.

Page 2 of 2 (36 results)

Posts 31 - 36 (36 total)

Mar 12, 2018 05:50PM wallycat wrote:

Traveltext, I do feel your pain. This is my own personal thought on the matter, and some of that I already posted....science and medicine and disease resolution has been predominantly focused and geared for men---heart disease is the number one killer and when a woman goes in to the ER thinking she is having a heart attack, she is sent home and not taken seriously (hopefully, some of that has changed). So my comment ...I WISH more men were featured and that medicine took breast cancer in men more seriously to me means that that might mean a cure---and that would hopefully end up helping women---who cares if that happened as an afterthought.

I fear that many men don't want to be a poster-child of breast cancer (not manly enough of a disease? or worrying that their mates will joke about having "a woman's disease" or who knows what).

I'll add that since women are foisted into seeing their gyns annually, those doctors (men and women docs) point out all the things we need to be watchful for...colon cancer, heart disease, blood draws that can flag disease before it gets too far gone, etc.. I just don't know (personally) many men that go for annual exams. I'm married to a guy that hasn't seen a doctor in 20 years. NO joke. A gal can only rant and nag so long and then what? I'm not saying men should be excluded, but dollars are focused where % effectiveness is a quantifiable outcome. I hate that money talks.

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Mar 13, 2018 02:15AM Bright55 wrote:

hi traveltxt very sorry to hear of passing of Michael And Cliff

Bright in hope

Dx 2011, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 2016, Right, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Surgery Mastectomy: Right

Mar 13, 2018 02:38AM - edited Mar 13, 2018 03:00AM by ShetlandPony

Like men, stage iv people are typically excluded from our culture's bc narrative, and that narrative has been created largely by the pink charities. Men and stage iv are both inconvenient for partying and fundraising. I know Traveltext is an advocate for stage iv needing more, as well as for men.

2011 Stage I ILC ER+PR+ Her2- 1.5 cm grade 1, ITCs sn . Lumpectomy, radiation, tamoxifen. 2014 Stage IV ILC ER+PR+Her2- grade 2, mets to breast , liver. Taxol NEAD. 2015,2016 Ibrance+letrozole. 2017 Faslodex+Afnitor; Xeloda

Mar 13, 2018 02:53AM Traveltext wrote:

Yes, it would be great if we could move away from bc as a pink disease. I have mets friends and they hate all the hoopla around this disease. As Shetland says, it's narrative that has been created largely by the pink charities. And it's an insult, really, to those dealing with late stage stage bc.

But wait, there's more. A look at the annual financial reports of some of these pink charities shows that as much as 70% of the funds raised go on admin costs. And 30 years of fundraising has certainly raised awareness levels that women get this disease, go have a mammogram, etc, but a cure is just as elusive as ever. I really believe most of the funds raised should be used to support Stage IV folks who are doing it tough.

The meme below tries to sum up the situation.

NED breast and prostate cancer. More on Male BC

Dx 03/14, IBC, Lgth. 2cm, Stge IIIB, Gde 2B, ER+/PR+, HER2- ; FEC x3, Taxol x3; Mx & 2/23 nodes; Rads x 33; now on tamoxofin.

Mar 13, 2018 10:54AM NotBrokenJustBent wrote:

And let's add to that meme that a clean mammos does not mean that all is well. It is a screening tool but not an absolute. That is another misnomer.

Mar 13, 2018 06:35PM - edited Mar 13, 2018 06:37PM by Micmel

Financially toxic. Boy that is the truth. Cancer is horrible. Even the name sounds horrible. It's like we cant even gang up on it and Lynch mob it. We are helpless but to idly wait for the answers. So sorry for any loss by cancer or any other crappy disease also. ~M~

Dx 1/22/2016, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, 13/35 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 2/9/2016 AC Surgery 6/20/2016 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 7/19/2016 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 11/6/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery Chemotherapy Chemotherapy

Page 2 of 2 (36 results)