Topic: Canadians in British Columbia

Forum: Canadians Affected by Breast Cancer — Canadian health care, clinical trials, and life in general in the north.

Posted on: Dec 19, 2011 03:17AM

Posted on: Dec 19, 2011 03:17AM

suz45 wrote:

I'm wondering how many West Coast Gals we currently have on here. It makes it a little easier to compare notes as our health-care is provincial. Would be nice to share tips and such to each other as we wade though the health-care Bureaucracy.

I'm in Richmond BC (a part of the Vancouver Lower Mainland) and the majority of my treatment has been at Vancouver General Hospital and Vancouver Cancer Agency.. with a few small surgical procedures done at UBC and my original Lumpectomy at Richmond General. My GP is also in Richmond. Ive been on the BCO boards since 2007 with a few breaks.

Please pipe in even if only to let us know your here Wink

Hugs Suz

Laugh your heart out, dance in the rain, cherish the memories & ignore the pain, love and learn, forget & forgive. Remember you only have one life to Live. Dx 11/25/2010, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, 8/23 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 315 of 315 (3,148 results)

May 7, 2022 08:09PM elderberry wrote:

gretknee: Where do you live? I would have thought Kelowna being a bigger place would have more options and more facilities for imaging and your doctor is in Kelowna after all. I don't understand not doing a biopsy "on the first go". Delays just add to the stress and every week counts. Yeah - you gotta be your own advocate and you gotta push!! Hoping for good results!

De Novo - this isn't a "brave battle" - it is a "furious struggle" Dx 3/6/2019, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, HER2+ Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab)

May 10, 2022 02:58PM cathy67 wrote:

Sisters in BC,

As some of you know, I am in waiting game again, waiting for biopsy report now. I cannot help reading all the posts published recently in this forum, needless to say, our system is so slow, I have to figure out some way to speed up, even a bit (I hope I will never need this).

Is there some private clinic for self pay diagnostic mammogram/ultrasound? I think this exam is cheaper than biopsy, shall be affordable, don't know how much it costs, thinking of the one month valuable waiting time saved if it is, or one month worries-free valuable time for mentor health if it is not.

Do you know if our system provides baseline MRI before biopsy? I saw someone mentioned in the forum, but I think that maybe not a technical question only.

If I had known my ultrasound would back biopsy, I would have definitely used private service. But even there is some place to do diagnostic mammogram/ultrasound, will our MSP system recognize the biopsy recommendation from it?

Oncotype 6, Dx 08/06/2019, IDC, Right, 2.1 cm, Grade2, 1/1 nodes,ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/9/2019 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy 11/20/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/26/2019 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

May 10, 2022 03:13PM moth wrote:

Cathy, this place does private mammograms & ultrasound http://www.vancouverbreastcentre.com/ourservices.h...

That same clinic can probably refer you to a private MRI if that's what you choose to have

I take weekends off

Initial dx at 50. Seriously?? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: Never Tell Me the Odds

Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Chemotherapy 2/14/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/19/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab) Chemotherapy 11/26/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/9/2020 External Hormonal Therapy 12/16/2020 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 3/3/2021 External Local Metastases 3/3/2021 Radiation therapy: Bone Targeted Therapy 1/1/2022 Trodelvy (sacituzumab govitecan-hziy)

May 10, 2022 03:31PM cathy67 wrote:

Moth,

I marked! I never known there is such service on broadway. These days I'm reading posts here, I know it is not rare that diagnostic mammogram did not see the abnormalities. My previous routine only includes mammogram, oncologist follows nccn guidelines, ultrasound is not recommended if no lumps addressed. I don't know when this suspicion started to grow up, maybe it can be detected earlier if routine includes ultrasound.

Thanks a lot, I think definitely we shall go for private service if waiting is too long.

Cathy

Oncotype 6, Dx 08/06/2019, IDC, Right, 2.1 cm, Grade2, 1/1 nodes,ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/9/2019 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy 11/20/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/26/2019 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

May 10, 2022 03:55PM wrenn wrote:

I've had mammogram and chest xrays at 505 (covered by MSP) I had no idea they also had paid services as well.

May 11, 2022 10:34AM cathy67 wrote:

Ladies,

I am studying how to talk to oncologist if the biopsy back positive. I have no way to know the result before appt, and then if it is, I must start to discuss for the next steps immediately, this results in lots of study based on uncertainty. Here is another question, if it is DCIS, do anybody know if oncotype breast DCIS test which is to tell the local recurrence rate without radiation is eligible to be covered by msp? I cannot find any info on website.

I just realized this one must be done using biopsy tissues, cause it is to tell whether radiation is needed, in other voice, it is to tell whether lumpectomy is risky for me, so I must raise up this question right there, if it is DCIS, before appt with surgeon. My appt for biopsy result is this Friday, I think I must reserve an appt spot in case I need it, so it can move forward immediately. And I also have a routine appt with oncologist, a few weeks later, right time to get in for oncotype test result if it needs.

I may think over too much, but it is my body, I must study.

Thanks.

Cathy

May 13, 2022 09:52AM cathy67 wrote:

Ladies,

Biopsy back normal!! Appreciated your support, enjoy weekend.

May 14, 2022 08:26PM gretknee wrote:

I’m based in Penticton so I was happy to go wherever to get it done asap and with the best team possible. Turns out closer to me was best.

Once I thought about it, it made sense to not do biopsy on first go. That would mean a radiologist would need to be on stand by and wouldn’t necessarily know which equipment will provide the clearest picture in advance.

Glad to hear your biopsy came back clear Cathy!

Has anyone on Visanne been told to get off the drug while lumps are investigated? My doc didn’t say anything but I also forgot to ask if I should be off it and obviously I’m not going to until told to stop taking it

Page 315 of 315 (3,148 results)

Scroll to top button