Topic: Canadians in British Columbia

Forum: Canadians Affected by Breast Cancer — Canadian health care, clinical trials, and life in general in the north.

Posted on: Dec 19, 2011 03:17AM

Posted on: Dec 19, 2011 03:17AM

suz45 wrote:

I'm wondering how many West Coast Gals we currently have on here. It makes it a little easier to compare notes as our health-care is provincial. Would be nice to share tips and such to each other as we wade though the health-care Bureaucracy.

I'm in Richmond BC (a part of the Vancouver Lower Mainland) and the majority of my treatment has been at Vancouver General Hospital and Vancouver Cancer Agency.. with a few small surgical procedures done at UBC and my original Lumpectomy at Richmond General. My GP is also in Richmond. Ive been on the BCO boards since 2007 with a few breaks.

Please pipe in even if only to let us know your here Wink

Hugs Suz

Laugh your heart out, dance in the rain, cherish the memories & ignore the pain, love and learn, forget & forgive. Remember you only have one life to Live. Dx 11/25/2010, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, 8/23 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 316 of 316 (3,160 results)

Jun 3, 2022 11:02PM bbymom wrote:

cathy67, no, unfortunately I rarely get results from the techs. I did try but no luck. I'm not getting my results until Monday. It would have been 8 days if I got in on Frday, so one business day later than yours. Hopefully a long wait time = good news! and no more biopsies!

Sorry to hear about the hormone therapy side effects.Hope the lupron shot works well for you. I'm definitely worried about all these side effects. I was supposed to start this week but delayed it to Sunday night as I have lots going on this weekend. My RO wanted me to be on it for at least a few weeks before our appointment at 6 weeks after the end of rads, so I'll still be ok. (Btw, isn't it strange that this 6-week follow up appointment is a call instead of in-person? I found that strange as I was hoping she'd examine everything to ensure all is healing ok.)

Jun 3, 2022 11:04PM bbymom wrote:

suz45, I LOVE the quote in your signature: Laugh your heart out, dance in the rain, cherish the memories & ignore the pain, love and learn, forget & forgive. Remember you only have one life to Live. I will hold on to this one. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Jun 4, 2022 08:58AM cathy67 wrote:

bbymom,

It took me 8 days to get appt, and I believe the report was already there, but we, as patients, cannot get it directly ourselves. .. that is in Canada.

If it needs biopsy, I think they shall contact you earlier. And furthermore, if it is high suspicion, they shall book biopsy for you right there.. that was what I experienced, the tech person back with biopsy appt, no any explanation. So I think you don't need biopsy, at least. Pray for it.

Cathy

Oncotype 6, Dx 08/06/2019, IDC, Right, 2.1 cm, Grade2, 1/1 nodes,ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/10/2019 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy 11/20/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/27/2019 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Jun 5, 2022 10:55PM bbymom wrote:

Hi Cathy, I think you're totally right. That's been my experience thus far as well.

Jun 9, 2022 11:45AM gladis wrote:

Yesterday, while awaiting in the darkened hospital room for the US tech to return - I thought of you Cathy.

(And furthermore, if it is high suspicion, they shall book biopsy for you right there.. that was what I experienced, the tech person back with biopsy appt, no any explanation.)

(I read, pray for this strong Canada crew, and rarely have enough courage(? ) to post)

When the tech didn't return for a long while, I knew...it's bad.

It was.

I'm lost...sad,...don't know where to turn...

this is another cancer, (suspicious due to blood vessel/solid for sarcoma/lymphoma)

on top of BC and I'm still recovering (mentally not even digested )

(&I'm still not yet well enough for RT since April's lumpectomy--the consult in Vancouver was for 27 July )

but I will say-this 'thing' has been with me for a decade.

Absolutely, under diagnosed. (Long story)

Even when I showed the article to my surgeon at UBC, he dismissed it as 'rare' (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11079174/)

(I have every symptom but NO doctor wanted to believe it -->(????)

My family doctor (TY GOD that I have one in BC. I pray for his health)

who read the entire published study said

"Don't worry" "This is rare"

No doctor -not even the head of Oncology in RI or the famous MG of Boston

(we can't say names but he's famous and published a main stream medical book)

could diagnose what CA doctors did yesterday---- in less than 6 ms.

I'm awaiting a contrast MRI now-

like Cathy mentioned-if it is bad-you know right away because you have an appt in hand "-D :-(

It is just my poor husband and me- we are wrecked

My real name was Swtpoto (everywhere, ebay etc) but here in what looks truly awful

Glad Is

in a foreign but beautiful <3 country with this is very scary,

but having this board -is my rope. I'm glad you are here BC BC

Thank you for 'listening' this morning.

Hug,

me

Jun 9, 2022 12:25PM wrenn wrote:

Hi Gladis, Sorry for what you are enduring. My reading comprehension has taken a nose dive the last couple of years so I am not sure if you had the Bx diagnosing Lymphoma or get an appt for something suspicious? Either way what nightmare on top of the BC.

You CAN name doctors on here. :-) Or at least I sure have. Let's test it. My onc is Stephen Chia

I'm glad you have a family doc. They are scarce. I don't have one but see an amazing NP at the cancer centre in Vancouver. I think you are on the sunshine coast.

Rambling now but wanted you to know that although many people aren't posting in this mess many are still reading and are keeping you in their pockets. Keep us posted.

Jun 9, 2022 12:52PM cathy67 wrote:

gladis,

Sorry to hear what you experienced, diagnosis is complicated while treatment has options, all these create extra mental illness on top of BC. I know.

Oncotype 6, Dx 08/06/2019, IDC, Right, 2.1 cm, Grade2, 1/1 nodes,ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/10/2019 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy 11/20/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/27/2019 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Jun 9, 2022 09:24PM bbymom wrote:

Hi Gladis, I'm sorry to hear about the suspicious finding and that it wasn't investigated earlier. You're right, no biospy appt is usually good news (my results ended up being ok - monitoring will continue but no biopsy needed). Biopsy just means they need more info and hopefully you get some answers soon and results are not bad. The waiting is the worst thought, I know, plus it sucks that it's on the heal of breast cancer - That is a lot of stress! Hang in there and practice self care... deep breathing, long walks, nutritious food, etc.. Take care and keep us updated!

Jun 10, 2022 08:36AM cathy67 wrote:

bbymom,

Glad to know your good news, take break, enjoy summer, and then go for follow up. Mine shall be in October, have not booked yet.

Jun 10, 2022 11:03AM gladis wrote:

Good morning Cathy, bbymom , Wren (co feline lover) "-) and any other 'like me watchers' <3

I'm super happy for your no worry for now results. I'd take it in a heartbeat!

Sadly, I am aware of how this biopsy will go,

I am the one who had to point at this other cancer for my doctors and was 'lucky' one listened and then the others followed.

Dr Scali (let's see Wrenn "-) is the derm who has pre-diagnosed a sarcoma/lymphoma while we wait for a more detailed look

-but it's all there in the US and the symptoms😭

(on the heel of IDC-ugh).

And while I Knew..

(I actually reached out to the moderators on this site back in April about this very thing.

I felt like I might not be able to 'be here with all of you' with so much 'other cancer'

YET,.it still shocked me.)

I'm trying to take bbymom's advice and care for myself without thinking, --------what's the point.

Then, alternating that thinking , -----------with loving the F-word out of every moment.

(Squeezing my good natured (mostly) Amos to pieces too, poor guy :-D

Luckily, I found you brave souls right here in my LR

and have slipped you into my pocket wherever i am

My three a day gratitude /attitude list

(ty) my pack of animals that go wherever I go

and a good man in my life.

I am going to go write that down on the wall so I can remember. 😉

Have a better day today -keeping you close in pocket

Hug,

me->glad is...

😊

Page 316 of 316 (3,160 results)