We are 201,509 members in 81 forums discussing 146,962 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Canadians Affected by Breast Cancer → Topic: Canadians in British Columbia

Topic: Canadians in British Columbia

Forum: Canadians Affected by Breast Cancer —

Canadian health care, clinical trials, and life in general in the north.

Posted on: Dec 19, 2011 09:17PM

suz45 wrote:

I'm wondering how many West Coast Gals we currently have on here. It makes it a little easier to compare notes as our health-care is provincial. Would be nice to share tips and such to each other as we wade though the health-care Bureaucracy.

I'm in Richmond BC (a part of the Vancouver Lower Mainland) and the majority of my treatment has been at Vancouver General Hospital and Vancouver Cancer Agency.. with a few small surgical procedures done at UBC and my original Lumpectomy at Richmond General. My GP is also in Richmond. Ive been on the BCO boards since 2007 with a few breaks.

Please pipe in even if only to let us know your here Wink

Hugs Suz

Laugh your heart out, dance in the rain, cherish the memories & ignore the pain, love and learn, forget & forgive. Remember you only have one life to Live. Dx 11/25/2010, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, 8/23 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 69 of 69 (2,054 results)

Posts 2041 - 2054 (2,054 total)

Jan 26, 2018 05:01AM runor wrote:

Hmmm. Well even if they don't approve me because of the cancer surgery (and radiation changes too), I have lifetime monster grooves in my shoulders from my bras. They are permanent. No one can deny that these boobs are too big! Well, one of them sure is. Thanks ladies.

Dx 3/23/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/5/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 26, 2018 05:26AM Wendy3 wrote:

My daughter had a breast reduction at 19 it was covered. My sister had implants after her surgery and it was also covered by BC medical.

The Pfizer calls were every other day for about three weeks it felt like stalking . Along with a ton of emails I ended up having to phone there and complain. It was all about the money as far as I was concerned. I will try and hold out on the Ibrance until it’spaid for

Dx 5/13/2015, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Feb 1, 2018 01:32AM - edited Feb 1, 2018 03:05AM by AnxietyGirl85

Hello fellow west coasters!!

I've already made my own thread for this, but it was suggested that I try asking here, too.

I'm in Vancouver and being treated at the main BC Cancer location. I'm scheduled to start chemo in two weeks, and I want to use cold caps to keep my hair, but I can't seem to get a straight answer on if I'm allowed to use them.

The oncologist was a jerk about it when I asked him and turned me down flat, said cooling caps are banned, my surgeon had told me that scalp cooling is available here and the nurse wasn't sure but didn't think it would be a problem. Three different health care professionals in the cancer system, three different answers.

My question for you is, is anyone here in Vancouver currently using cold caps, or has anyone used them here recently?? How did you go about doing it, who did you contact to make it happen, and what kind of cold caps did you use??

Dx 11/22/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/14/2017 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 2/14/2018 AC + T (Taxol)

Feb 1, 2018 03:15AM wrenn wrote:

I haven't used them but if you search "Dr. Chia" here there was a post years ago saying her was interested in it. They won't supply them but if you bring your own I don't think they would object. They did supply me with cold gloves which I didn't like because I couldn't use ipad.

Also you can change oncologists if you are really hating yours.

Keep us posted.

Metaplastic IDC Triple negative...Tumour is 1.5cm. BMX Aug. 16th. Chemo cancelled after one dose due to complications. Dx 7/25/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/16/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 11/25/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Feb 1, 2018 08:28AM AnxietyGirl85 wrote:

Hi wrenn!

Do you know who I might contact in the chemo unit to ask if I'd be allowed?? I've already been in touch with the brand I want to use, and I know the expense and onus is all on me, I just don't want to shell out thousand of dollars (that I don't have) for this only to show up with it and have them refuse to let me use it, that's a huge concern of mine.

I'm hesitant to just call and ask around because I haven't had a good experience with the Cancer Agency so far, lots of miscommunication on their part that has left me unhappy and very uneasy about this whole process, so if I knew just who to talk to, specifically, or what extension to call, that would help.

Dx 11/22/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/14/2017 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 2/14/2018 AC + T (Taxol)

Feb 1, 2018 10:04AM NewDay123 wrote:

Hello,

Thought some of you might find this article interesting re: Ibrance and tumour marker testing that doesn't happen in Canada. The article seems to imply these are for stage 4 ... so if you don't want to read it, that's OK.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/a-tale-of-2-friends-with-breast-cancer-1-has-coverage-for-costly-drug-the-other-forced-to-pay-1.4495123

It's a CBC article about "A tale of 2 friends with breast cancer" where 1 has coverage and the other is forced to pay. The one forced to pay lives in B.C.

---

Hi AnxietyGirl,

Welcome, and I'm sorry you have to be here. I didn't use a cold cap so I'm not able to help.

I'm wondering where you can purchase the cold cap, what is their return policy? If you never use it, can you get a full refund?

---

I'm not on this site much now that it has been a few years and I'm doing well. I hope you're all doing well too!! I didn't read through all the messages, but thought if more people knew about Ibrance in B.C./Canada can lobby for it, for those with stage 4.

I make sure to get some sunlight/daylight whenever possible and not to work too much. I hope you're all getting a chance to enjoy some sun.

Best wishes.

Dx 11/2015, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol)

Feb 1, 2018 10:42AM Ashlyn wrote:

FYI: Ibrance will be getting covered through BC Cancer Agency very soon.

DX 28 - stage IIB • DX 34 - stage IV (lung, mediastinal nodes) // BRCA signature in tumor (not inherited) Dx 1/3/2012, DCIS/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/8/2012 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left) Chemotherapy 4/3/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 9/10/2012 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 11/2/2012 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 5/20/2014 Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2016 Aromasin (exemestane) Dx 7/10/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs/other, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Hormonal Therapy 7/12/2017 Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 9/14/2017 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 9/21/2017 External: Lymph nodes Targeted Therapy 10/15/2017 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Feb 8, 2018 01:46PM stellamaris wrote:

Runor, my breast reduction was covered. I had it 3,? Months after mx

Dx 10/5/2015, ILC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 10/30/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 12/2/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 12/18/2015 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 2/11/2016 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 3/24/2016 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Feb 8, 2018 04:14PM runor wrote:

THank you, Stellamaris. Was it covered as part of cancer treatment or was it under a different reason? Like, boobs causing upper body problems?

Dx 3/23/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/5/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Feb 9, 2018 06:07AM AnxietyGirl85 wrote:

Hi NewDay123,

I wanted to wait until I knew if I would be allowed to use it before I spent the money and made the arrangements, since it's all a big hassle and I can't really handle any more of that in my life these days! Trying to keep this all streamlined.

Then I spoke to the Cancer Agency and they turned me down flat, cooling caps are banned in all of their chemo units, end of discussion, so now it doesn't matter anymore. I'm doomed to lose my hair, there's nothing I can do about it. :( It would be hard enough if it was available and I couldn't afford it, but it seems exceptionally unfair that I'm willing and ready to put myself into debt for this and the Powers That Be are actively preventing me from doing it, it's almost like they ENJOY seeing their patients lose their hair. >:(

(Apologies if I seem angry, I am right now, it's just all too much to cope with at the moment.)

Feb 9, 2018 06:53AM moth wrote:

Oh that's a bummer AnxietyGirl. I'm sorry you didn't get the answer you wanted. I saw a news story from 2014 about it and I guess they're still not budging. http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouver/2014/07/17/...

Do you know yet when you're starting chemo?

Dx at 50; Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, pathology ER+/PR-, HER2-; Oncotype says ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 2/15/2018 AC + T (Taxol)

Feb 9, 2018 07:32AM AnxietyGirl85 wrote:

I start next Wednesday, Valentine's Day, which has always been my least-favourite day of the year (ask me about my Valentine's Day horror stories, ugh). The irony isn't lost on me. It's times like this when it's hard to believe that the universe doesn't have it in for me.

I've been in touch with the Canadian distributor for the Paxman system and she's suggesting that I go to the media with it (CBC and CTV), but I start chemo in 6 days, I'm already exhausted and incredibly fragile from all the stress, I work very long days with no time or privacy to make phone calls to sort this out, and I'm doing everything in my power to keep this diagnosis private, it's all so much, I just don't think I have it in me to tackle this by myself right now.

It shouldn't have to be this hard. Cancer is hard enough all on its own, there's no need for those in power to make it more difficult for us.

Feb 9, 2018 08:04AM Meow13 wrote:

Anxiety, are there no other places? I don't know the Canadan health care systems but maybe you could come the US? In Seattle maybe?

Feb 9, 2018 08:24AM wrenn wrote:

The use of cold caps is approved by Health Canada but some centres just don't allow it. There was an article about a woman being allowed to use it at Penticton Hospital (which is closer than Seattle) but might not be worth the struggle to travel while trying to maintain a heavy work schedule and to maintain privacy. Going to the media might be an added stress. Maybe once you are done treatment and have built up some strength you could make that a project.

Telling you your hair will be back by next year is not going to help but finding ways to face this nightmare with fewer stresses will help.

Metaplastic IDC Triple negative...Tumour is 1.5cm. BMX Aug. 16th. Chemo cancelled after one dose due to complications. Dx 7/25/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/16/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 11/25/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Page 69 of 69 (2,054 results)