We are 214,047 members in 82 forums discussing 152,598 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Canadians in British Columbia

Forum: Canadians Affected by Breast Cancer —

Canadian health care, clinical trials, and life in general in the north.

Posted on: Dec 19, 2011 06:17AM

suz45 wrote:

I'm wondering how many West Coast Gals we currently have on here. It makes it a little easier to compare notes as our health-care is provincial. Would be nice to share tips and such to each other as we wade though the health-care Bureaucracy.

I'm in Richmond BC (a part of the Vancouver Lower Mainland) and the majority of my treatment has been at Vancouver General Hospital and Vancouver Cancer Agency.. with a few small surgical procedures done at UBC and my original Lumpectomy at Richmond General. My GP is also in Richmond. Ive been on the BCO boards since 2007 with a few breaks.

Please pipe in even if only to let us know your here Wink

Hugs Suz

Laugh your heart out, dance in the rain, cherish the memories & ignore the pain, love and learn, forget & forgive. Remember you only have one life to Live. Dx 11/25/2010, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, 8/23 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 88 of 88 (2,618 results)

Posts 2611 - 2618 (2,618 total)

Dec 3, 2018 01:36PM janky wrote:

runor - I have now had 2 mamms since dx in November of 2016, and because of my BC,they advise me right away that all is good and see you next year the doctor reads it right away which is nice, so I am thinking that is the case with you too, not that you are a SHIT Disturber (though you may well be?!) ;) Wishing you well!

DearLife - I just returned from my dream trip to Australia - 5 weeks of awesomeness! I truly hope and pray you can go as it was an amazing experience for us. I am in Alberta so we flew Calgary to Vancouver, then straight to Brisbane (14 hours)! Praying all good things for everyone...

Dx 11/7/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/16/2016 Chemotherapy 2/9/2017 Radiation Therapy 5/16/2017

Dec 3, 2018 04:51PM - edited Dec 3, 2018 04:51PM by Walden1

I'm still under the care of my MO for annual mammograms,but wondering is there a point where they officially say, you are "discharged" from the cancer agency - i.e. start booking all your follow up imaging and checkups through your GP?

Dx 12/28/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/11/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 5/2/2018 Mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Zoladex (goserelin)

Dec 3, 2018 05:37PM wrenn wrote:

My oncologist (Chia) told me that he follows patients for 2 years after treatment and any concerns would be dealt with through GP after that. The GP can contact your oncologist any time if they have concerns. My NP contacted Chia once and he looked at a scan/xray (can't remember what it was about) and he said everything looked ok.

I hope everyone gets good news soon and am hoping the sunshine this weeks helps somewhat. Waiting is so hard.

Metaplastic IDC Triple negative...Tumour is 1.5cm. BMX Aug. 16th. Chemo cancelled after one dose due to complications. Dx 7/25/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/16/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Dec 3, 2018 06:45PM DearLife wrote:

Thanks everyone for your good wishes.. They should call it SCARE TISSUE 🙄.

Runor my breasts have always misbehaved. Mostly benign, but not this year. I am sorry to hear but it is reassuring to know your swelling persisted too. Even after a reduction I am double D so there is lots to corral. And my tumour was small but 7 cm deep so it must be a big scar. It doesn't hurt, can't feel a lump and have no symptoms except anxiety. Yes the waiting is hard.

Went for a walk around the harbour today. Lots of ducks - including hooded mergansers - and a couple of sea lions. A slice of joy in the sunshine

Janky, I am glad you had your dream trip to Oz!

I will keep you posted.

❤️

I've looked at clouds from both sides now. Joni Mitchell Dx 12/1/1998, LCIS, Right Dx 1/9/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 2/26/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 3/1/2018, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Hormonal Therapy 4/17/2018 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Dec 3, 2018 07:30PM runor wrote:

Scare tissue - good one!

Dx 3/23/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/5/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Dec 5, 2018 01:56AM Pots wrote:

Waiting for results sure messes with your mind...I think we all jump to the worst case to protect ourselves. I get CT scans every 3 months, it's how my MBC is being monitored and I usually work myself into a big knot the week before getting the results. Yes scanaxiety is real. To cope...I tell myself that the results are only information. Once I get the “information" I can make decisions, plans etc. I still get a mammogram on my remaining breast once a year. Yes it is part of monitoring.

If you don't mind, I would like to share a bit of wisdom living with this dreadful disease. My MBC wasn't found on my annual mammogram or in a CT scan. It was found on a chest X-ray that was done to check out a cough. Yes completely random. So my advise is that the monitoring is important but also pay attention to how you feel. Are you more tired, have a cough, have weird aches...it's hard figure out what is the new normal and what is weird. I keep a journal to track how I feel, track what's changed. It's all information.

On a happy note, my last CT scan shows that after 6 months of low dose Taxol, 2 out of 3 tumours disappeared. The remaining tumour shrank even further. I am considered stable which is terrific news. I’m back on an AI in the hopes that it will starve the last one. Yes I am more easily tired post-chemo and my feet hurt more from neuropathy but I actually feel pretty darn good.

I live in east Van and would be happy to host a gathering if you would like a more central location. We have lots of room and a big dining room table. I’ll be back from our Australian/New Zealand adventure in mid-February so early March would work for me.

Be well,

Ann

Dx 7/2013, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 5/20 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx 5/2017, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to other, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx 3/2018, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs/other Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Chemotherapy Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Chemotherapy Taxol (paclitaxel)

Dec 7, 2018 05:06PM NVDobie wrote:

Hi, Ann

Thanks for sharing your experience and wisdom. It is good education to some of us still learning about this. I am going to take your advice and learning to be more in tune with my body, know what is normal and what is not.

Great news on the latest scan! Sounds like Taxol kicked butt. That is great!

Dx 12/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/4/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Chemotherapy 3/7/2018 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 3/8/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 6/10/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 7/30/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/11/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery

Dec 8, 2018 10:59AM DearLife wrote:

Pots that is such great news that the Taxol is working for you. Everything is going in the right direction. Now you can breathe and enjoy the holidays. And get ready for your big trip!

Taxol was originally derived from the Pacific yew tree. There is a yew growing along the path where I often walk. I like to pat the trunk as I go by. I love the fact that some of these treatments have come from natural sources.

Good advice to monitor how we are feeling.

I had my recall mammo yesterday and the spot in question did not show up! They said it might be an “anomaly". I have an ultrasound on Monday to check. (I was able to get an earlier appointment at BCCA than at X Ray 505.)

So far, so good, and I asked for way more info before I left the clinic. This time the tech was willing to talk to me. Seeing the two scans on the screen helped a lot. She said last time they may not have told me much because it was my first 3D mammo and they need more time to study the images.

I have heard that ultrasound monitoring is best for dense breasts and alternating mammos and ultrasounds is a good idea, say every six months. Even if you have to pay, ultrasounds are just $100.

Does anyone rely on regular ultrasounds for monitoring?

As for another get together, I am in and will go anywhere! All being well, we will be in New Zealand until mid March, so I hope it could be after that. Thanks to Marian, NVDobie and Pots for all offering to host.

Marian, how are you doing on the chemo?

I've looked at clouds from both sides now. Joni Mitchell Dx 12/1/1998, LCIS, Right Dx 1/9/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 2/26/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 3/1/2018, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Hormonal Therapy 4/17/2018 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Page 88 of 88 (2,618 results)