Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

BCI (Breast Cancer Index) in Canada

Options
smoki
smoki Member Posts: 4

I live in Vancouver. Just finished 5 years of Tamoxifen. I recently discovered the Breast Cancer Index test (breastcancer.org Screening and Testing page has a link to some information) , which can apparently identify those who can benefit from extended (10 year) hormonal therapy. It's a genomic test (like Oncotype DX or MammaPrint).

I really want to get this test done! But the company, Biotheranostics, does not take referrals from Canadian doctors :-(

Does anyone here know if there is a way to get around this? Have you been able to get the BCI test from Canada? I'm fortunate enough to be able to pay for it if necessary, but I can't even get it ordered...

Comments

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited April 2022
    Options

I'm wondering if your best bet would be to go to Bellingham for an oncologist appointment and get them to order it? I know Canadians who have commuted for treatment in the US (like when trodelvy wasn't approved here yet). Going over the border for 1 appointment and some blood work seems like it should be simpler, kwim...

• cathy67
    cathy67 Member Posts: 411
    edited April 2022
    Options

smoki,

Thanks for letting me know this test, I wish you can find the way to get it.

For me, when it is my time to turn at 5 years old, I would prefer continue my hormone therapy cause I don't have big side effect at least so far.