Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

In Honor of Alaska Deb, an idea

Deb-from-Ohio
Deb-from-Ohio Member Posts: 102
You might think this is a futile idea as a tribute to Deb, but her passing has just taken me beyond the limit with this disease...here's what I propose.....

We pick one day, and everyone on this board emails Pres.Obama demanding a cure, no more studies on chemo, stats, etc...a cure once and for all.......if nothing else, the publicity from getting so many emails in one day will bring our fight to the forefront........Obama is a new President, he can be molded......it's worth a shot.......He talks so much about what a great country we are, what we can do if we all get together, what change he wants, let's see if he's all talk.......

What do you all think?

All Emails are to go out on February 14th.

-----------------------

Subject for us will be our names and dates such as Debbie-dx'd 2008 . Or if you want to use it in memory of someone else, put in "In memory of so and so........others can use whatever they want, I'm sure everyone knows someone who has had cancer, they could use In Memory of that person........

Contact info for Sarah Palin

http://gov.state.ak.us/

there is a "contact us" button at the top.

---------------------

President Obama

www.whitehouse.gov

also a "contact us" button

-------------------------------------

Also "NEW"

Tom.Daschle@hhs.gov

President Obamas new Secretary of Health and Human Services

-----------------------------------

....and there is a myspace page dedicated to his

www.myspace.com/curebreastcancernow    (you do not need a myspace acct to view this page.

As of today, 50 friends on the myspace page, that's 50 emails ladies!

Deb

Comments

• PatMom
    PatMom Member Posts: 322
    edited January 2009

I'm in...what date?

edited to add: It needs to be far enough in the future to really get things organized, but not so far that it becomes lost in the shuffle.  Does anyone know Deb's birthday?  Would that work?

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited January 2009

How about a letter to MRS. Obama?  Women, etc...

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 180
    edited January 2009

I'm In.

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited January 2009

We need someone organized to think all this up....LOL, and that definitely isn't me......

• jezzy234
    jezzy234 Member Posts: 127
    edited January 2009
    IN!!!!!!  I like the idea about a letter to Mrs. Obama as well.  Let me know when......
  • Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited January 2009

I love this Idea too!

Im in- Cant Organize stuff at all though.

Pam

• Traci-----TripNeg
    Traci-----TripNeg Member Posts: 567
    edited January 2009

I love this idea too!!! Let's not forget about Palin in Alaska too!! She certainly a news maker! We can make some noise there as well. The newspaper in Deb's town did a very lentghy story on her. I posted a link to it on Deb's angel thread.

I have a gut feeling that they will be doing another story about her struggle, and sadly, her death. John mentioned they might write something as well.

I hope that all you girls will go to her rose thread and buy a $10 rose for her; so everybody can see all of her breast cancer sisters as well.

I look forward to emailing Obama. Let me know when!!

Love you girls,

Traci

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    edited January 2009

Oooo, Yes, Palin would light a fire under someones butt.

Good Idea.

• mkibbetson
    mkibbetson Member Posts: 40
    edited January 2009

Im in

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited January 2009

ok.......no organized people huh? How bout we shoot for Feb 14th in honor of  Love?  We can email both Obama and Palin.......I just know we can get a fire started under someones butt if enough of us do this........We can mention Deb's passing in the emails, tell them what kind of beautiful person she was and ask how many more loving, caring fantastic people are we going to lose?

Hows that, if ya all agree, pass it around the whole board!

Deb

• Traci-----TripNeg
    Traci-----TripNeg Member Posts: 567
    edited January 2009

I think Feb 14th is perfect. What will be our subject line? What did someone say....F something, we need a cure. That was awesome....

• lovinmomma
    lovinmomma Member Posts: 105
    edited January 2009

Sounds good to me!  I like Feb 14th!!

• newvickie
    newvickie Member Posts: 2,941
    edited January 2009

February 14th is perfect.  We just need to get everyone onboard and get email addresses.  I will do some searching and see what I can come up with. 

V

Edited to add...Deb had some great quotes on her blog site...maybe one of them would make a good subject line...

• cmb35
    cmb35 Member Posts: 554
    edited January 2009

I'm in, I'm not sure what it entails, but I'm in!

• samedaynurseJan
    samedaynurseJan Member Posts: 162
    edited January 2009

totally in......day and place to email is all I need :)

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited January 2009

I'm not an organizer either, but Vickie, how about asking the Komen and Network of Strength (Y-Me) boards to join us as well? They didn't know Deb, but they could help light this fire. We could each ask our in-person bc support groups to join us too. It'd be great to really bury them in emails.

February 14 is perfect -- so maybe the subject line should have the word "love" in it...?

Thanks, dcaudill!
    Binney

• newvickie
    edited January 2009

I have an email for Obama...its a general email that is http://www.whitehouse.gov/  Not sure that this is what we really want.  I do believe he can be reached through other avenues such as Myspace and Facebook. I will check into it.

Binney...hi friend...I will contact Komen and Network of Strenght about the "plan".  Will give them a link to this thread. 

If I find a Myspace, Facebook etc address I will edit this post to add them.  That will keep it all in one post instead of scattered around.

Found this site and if you scroll  to nearly the bottom you will see all the places he is listed...myspace, facebook etc...http://www.barackobama.com/index.php 

I think emailing through the white house is a better plan though.  Not everyone has Myspace etc.

• GrammyNancy
    GrammyNancy Member Posts: 24
    edited January 2009

I'm in.

• Carol1220
    Carol1220 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2009

I'm in too.

• newvickie
    edited January 2009

Ok...I contacted the Network of Strength with a request to help us get the word out about this. I gave them links to the three threads here regarding Alaska Deb...her passing, the roses and this one.  Hopefully I will hear back soon.

Only a phone number for the Koman Foundation so I will try to call them a bit later.

Having a major ice storm here so may lose power...if so I will return when its restored! 

Hugs

V

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited January 2009

We need to get the ladies in the other forums on here to read this also...........and Newvickie, we just now got over our storm, goodness, snow, ice and more snow...it's horrible, most of southern Ohio is snowed in!

Deb

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited January 2009

Vickie, I just went and posted it on the "Sound Off" forum at Komen. It's here:

http://apps.komen.org/Forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=267709&mpage=1#267709

Binney

• GEECH
    GEECH Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2009

I'm in and Feb 14th is perfect.  I'm amazed at all the monies collected for breast cancer. Why can't there be a CURE??? I just don't understand it. Where is most of that money going??? Contacting Sarah Palin is great also.

Take care,

Geech

• bluesue
    bluesue Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2009

How about a title of 'We Love Living" Please help us find a cure!!

• hollyann
    hollyann Member Posts: 279
    edited January 2009

Count me in!  What is the email addy???

• Jenniferz
    Jenniferz Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2009

Count me in also, please!  And, if I don't see anything on NOS toight, I'll put the request on the board.  If mods don't like it, then they can kick me off.  Don't think they'll say anything, though. Great idea!

• newvickie
    edited January 2009

Power and internet are going off an on...grrr...hate this weather...major amounts of freezing rain!!! 

Binney...thank you...I think the more we get the word out the better. My sister works at Cornell University and I talked to her...she can send an internal mass email to everyone on campus (staff)  to have them write on February 14th.  They can tell whatever story they wish so she is waiting for our "subject line". 

I will also be including everyone I know in this. 

What else should I do?

• newvickie
    edited January 2009

Contact info for Sarah Palin

http://gov.state.ak.us/

there is a "contact us" button at the top.

President Obama

www.whitehouse.gov

also a "contact us" button

• Catrenae
    Catrenae Member Posts: 572
    edited January 2009

This thread caught my eye... normally I post on our "Dec. 2008 Chemo" group... anyway I hought I'd make a suggestion.

What about setting up a page on Facebook.com and even MySpace.com? That could potentially generate a lot of hits... and letters.

Just a thought,

Cat

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited January 2009

How bout "In Loving Memory of our Fallen Angels" for a subject line?  WOW, so many great ideas....I was hoping all would go for this.......it seemed like such a good idea......I can do it on myspace if someone else wants to do it on facebook.....no big deal.........

Luv

Deb

p.s. in fact, am going to myspace now to set up one....let me know on the subject ladies!