We are 207,396 members in 81 forums discussing 149,516 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Fitness and Getting Back in Shape → Topic: Let's Post our Daily Exercise

Topic: Let's Post our Daily Exercise

Forum: Fitness and Getting Back in Shape — Conversations about exercise, diet, and getting back in shape after breast cancer diagnosis and treatment.

Posted on: Sep 28, 2009 07:56AM

Morgan513 wrote:

I'm doing the Firm Cardio Step mix and will walk the dog for a mile later today.

Lorrie 

Dx 4/9/2008, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 1074 of 1,191 (35,703 results)

Posts 32191 - 32220 (35,703 total)

Jul 22, 2017 06:26PM badger wrote:

Ruth, you'll be chomping at the bit to get back at it but you're smart enough to pace yourself. When's your surgery?

Slow walk to the farmer's market this morning. Came back home and slept for a couple hours. Drying out the basement using the dehumidifier. It didn't flood, but we've had so much rain there's groundwater seeping in. Good thing for the floor drain.

7,466.2 miles walked ~ Find your calm. Move forward from this place. Dx 12/22/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 22, 2017 06:55PM ruthbru wrote:

Good Grief, and we are as dry as a bone!

Badger, surgery is Monday. Check-in at 5:10 am and surgery at 7:00.....I think that is good because I won't get one wink of sleep tomorrow night anyway so I will be looking forward to being unconscious, and since I'm the first patient of the day, there shouldn't be any delays & the surgeon presumably will be nice and fresh.

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 22, 2017 07:25PM Claire_in_Seattle wrote:

I think you will be very glad you did this, Ruth. I echo those who caution on too much, too soon, but once healed, you will be back to "athletic" in no time. Yes, it's true that the "athletic crowd" changes over time, being skewed after a certain point to those who actually exercise. Imagine that!

Breast surgery seldom affects your core, and what you are having really does. Big difference.

I am thinking that you might be able to spend summer afternoons in a lounge chair under a tree with an iced tea, reading a book. I was looking at LaFuma chairs yesterday with that in mind.

But I spent money for new bicycle pedals as I realize that I won't be riding clipped in again. I was lucky to make it to Portland with the problems I had with pedals and shoes gripping firmly. (It takes a lot less energy if you can ride clipped in.) So I will be trying a new configuration, but NEXT weekend. Hike tomorrow (to give my buns a rest, although did do a brief ride today).

So think of all the wonderful things you can do as a "lady of leisure"! - Claire 

Completed all treatment (AC +T, lumpectomy, radiation and 5 years of AIs - anastrazole). Now celebrating every single day for the wonderful life I have been granted. Dx 8/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH)

Jul 22, 2017 08:17PM ruthbru wrote:

Yea, the 'no working the core' sucks, but hopefully my abs etc. won't get too relaxed during their break!!!

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 22, 2017 08:20PM Claire_in_Seattle wrote:

You have to tell yourself "gentle healing thoughts" such as "just wait suckers"!

Completed all treatment (AC +T, lumpectomy, radiation and 5 years of AIs - anastrazole). Now celebrating every single day for the wonderful life I have been granted. Dx 8/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH)

Jul 22, 2017 08:36PM ruthbru wrote:

ThumbsUp.......exactly!

Jul 22, 2017 09:02PM Falconer wrote:

Ah, Ruth! I'll be thinking of you on Monday. Monday will be my first day back to yoga after an 8 week hiatus. After three days of jogging, my worst pain are my inner thighs. Looking forward to stretching the groin in some standing asanas!

Strong is the new strong. Dx at 45. Onco 16. Monthly Lupron shots Nov. 2016-December 2017 Dx 7/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/2016, DCIS, Left, 5cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/30/2017 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jul 23, 2017 05:38AM M0mmyof2 wrote:

Going to workout later today, heat is finally gone!!!!

If you value your freedom, thank a servicemember both serving and retired!

Jul 23, 2017 07:31AM badger wrote:

Good luck tomorrow, Ruth, we'll ALL be in your pocket!

Foggy cool morning, headed out for a walk soon.

7,466.2 miles walked ~ Find your calm. Move forward from this place. Dx 12/22/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 23, 2017 08:52AM ruthbru wrote:

Thanks, Badger.

45 minutes of Killer Abs.

Jul 23, 2017 10:55AM sweetandspecial wrote:

Good luck tomorrow Ruth!

Hysterectomy a couple years ago was one of the best things for me ever. Aside from getting rid of something that I no longer needed and could turn deadly at some point down the road the primary benefit for me personally is that I NEVER have to get up in the night to use the bathroom any more. My uterus was so full of fibroids that my poor bladder capacity was seriously compromised. Between the hysterectomy, ambien, and a C-section device I finally sleep well and feel like my old energetic, non-brainfogged self again 👏👏

Glad you're planning on following dr's orders for recovery 😉

lisa jayne Dx 9/28/2012, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/4/2012 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 12/7/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 8/6/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Jul 23, 2017 11:47AM TwoHobbies wrote:

Mommyof2, I'd be the one chasing the ice cream truck! Cute minions.

Octo - wow that is such an interesting article and I don't know what to make of it but I will say that thinking about all daily exercise as exercise, ie mowing the lawn, shoveling the drive, weeding- encourages me to incorporate more per week. Make any sense? Or is the brain so powerful that it affects our health negatively if we even think we're not doing enough.

Ruth I think you are in drought because we (and apparently Badger just north) hogged all the rain in the central part of the country. You can have some - really, take it!

Since my last check-in, I have a 21 minute lunchtime walk to report and yesterday I walked 35 minutes with 2 bouts or running to keep my bones strong. Hot and muggy, muggy here but the blooming wildflowers at the lake were a beautiful distraction.

Round 1 -bmx, tug flap reconstruction, tamoxifen. Local Recurrence-excision, TCx4, radiation, Zoladex, Anastrazole. Dx 2/22/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/25/2013, <1cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 23, 2017 11:47AM - edited Jul 23, 2017 11:47AM by TwoHobbies

This Post was deleted by TwoHobbies.
Round 1 -bmx, tug flap reconstruction, tamoxifen. Local Recurrence-excision, TCx4, radiation, Zoladex, Anastrazole. Dx 2/22/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/25/2013, <1cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 23, 2017 12:16PM - edited Jul 23, 2017 12:18PM by badger

FYI, great article in this morning's paper. Please pass the word if you know anyone who might be interested in the study.

UW-Madison study hopes to learn from group of medically extraordinary women who have survived advanced breast cancer

DAVID WAHLBERG, Wisconsin State Journal, July 23, 2017

Ellen Henning, a retired farmer from near Prairie du Sac, has been living with breast cancer for nearly 40 years, even though it has spread to other parts of her body.

The same is true for Peg Geisler, 81, of Madison, a retired UW-Madison administrator whom doctors also consider an "exceptional long-term survivor" of metastatic breast cancer.

Tammy Mocarski, too, has beaten the odds, surviving five recurrences of breast cancer. It was diagnosed in 2001, when the De Pere woman was 36 and had four young sons. To her surprise, she has lived to send them off to college.

The medically extraordinary women are part of a new study at UW-Madison to see if genetics, their immune systems, certain treatments or lifestyle factors can explain why they have lived so long with advanced breast cancer when most people die.

"There are so many variables," said Geisler, whose breast cancer, diagnosed in 1978, has come back four times. "Maybe this will help identify things that can be used, medicinally or environmentally, for other women."

Dr. Mark Burkard, a UW Health oncologist heading up the research, got the idea for the study from Geisler's remarkable story. After her cancer returned in 1982, she was told she had a 15 percent chance of living five years. But she has withstood recurrences in 2003, 2008 and 2013.

"Why do these people live so long with incurable cancer?" Burkard said. "If we can understand that, can we help other people live longer than they're living now?"

Roughly one-fifth of breast cancers spread to other parts of the body, he said. Among women with metastatic breast cancer, about 26 percent live five years and less than 10 percent live 10 years or more, he said.

The study is looking at women whose metastatic breast cancer originated at least 10 years ago if it is estrogen-receptor-positive, which responds best to treatment, or at least five years ago if it is estrogen-receptor-negative.

Fifteen patients at UW Health have enrolled, and Burkard has received $300,000 from the Avon Breast Cancer Crusade to find 35 more participants around the country.

By taking blood or saliva samples from the women and studying tissue samples from procedures, researchers will analyze the genetics of their bodies, their tumors and their immune systems to see if particular markers elucidate their endurance.

Questionnaires will seek information on lifestyle factors such as diet, exercise and social support.

If unique features are discovered, the findings could lead doctors to alter treatments, modify immune systems or recommend behavioral changes for other patients, Burkard said.

"We're hoping to use this information to help all our metastatic breast cancer patients be long-term survivors," he said.

For women in the study, the research is an opportunity to contribute something positive after decades of living in the shadow of cancer, not knowing if each new spot detected on a scan might be the one that could end their lives.

Nearly 40 years with cancer

Henning, 81, had a mastectomy and chemotherapy when her breast cancer was discovered in 1978. After recurrences, including a lump on her breastbone a few years ago, she had radiation and more chemo.

She wonders if the stoic attitude she has developed as a dairy and beef farmer might have contributed to her survival.

During her first years of treatment, "I'd get back from my chemo, change clothes and go out and take care of the cows," she said.

"When I get depressed, if somebody makes a bad remark to me, I always tell myself, 'Put a smile on your face, that will help.'"

Henning still helps her sons on the farm, rinsing the milk pails, filling the water tanks and making the noon meal.

UW doctors "are studying my blood to see what makes me tick," she tells her friends.

Geisler's breast cancer has returned in her spine, causing back and leg pain. But each time, after various treatments, her scans eventually became clear.

She cites her top-notch care, including 21 years of treatment by Dr. Paul Carbone, for whom UW's Carbone Cancer Center is named, as a possible contributor to her longevity.

She is also curious about genetics, hormonal responses to birth control and environmental factors. She grew up in Virginia and lived in New England before moving to Wisconsin.

Her social support has been strong, she said, and her emotional outlook understandably mixed.

"My attitude changes depending on the most recent diagnosis," she said. "You can get kicked back into fear and trembling very easily, and then you learn to roll with the punches."

Surviving with her sons

Mocarski, 53, has seen her cancer return in her lung, her ribs, her breastbone and her collar bone, mostly recently last year. But a scan a few months ago showed no tumors, and she isn't taking any cancer drugs, for the first time in 16 years.

"There's not a whole lot (of cancer drugs) I haven't been on," she said. "That's what I worry about the most, that I use up all of the combinations."

A former social worker who serves on the De Pere School Board, Mocarski learned she had breast cancer when her sons were ages 2 to 7.

She set short-term goals — hoping to see her youngest son make it to kindergarten, praying she'd survive until her oldest son could drive so her husband would have help if she was no longer around.

"I know I have today, and I'm pretty sure I have tomorrow, but I try not to look too far past that," she said.

Her oldest son is now 24 and in his third year of medical school at the Medical College of Wisconsin. The three others are in college, with two of them also planning to pursue health care careers.

Being in the UW-Madison study is one way Mocarski can reciprocate her good fortune, she said.

"I do question, after everything I've been through, why I am still here," she said.

"If they want to dissect me from head to toe — my blood, my DNA, my tissue samples — and it can help somebody else down the road, I am certainly more than willing to help."

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/health-med-fit/uw-madison-study-hopes-to-learn-from-group-of-medically/article_65b7d09b-d5c0-5225-a1af-8a938da51287.html

Jul 23, 2017 02:38PM M0mmyof2 wrote:

Pulled the weeds in my flowerbed.

Jul 23, 2017 02:57PM ruthbru wrote:

Thanks for the well-wishes ladies. I've been running around doing last minute detail things & am now shutting down the computer. I will be overnight in the hospital tomorrow and, if things go as planned, will be released about noon Tuesday. If I feel 'chatty' I will check in earlier, otherwise expect to here something from me on Wednesday. Heart

Jul 23, 2017 03:04PM LilacBlue wrote:

Ruth, you will bounce back quick with your level of fitness and I'll too be thinking about you tomorrow. Badger, interesting reading and if it puts us closer to a cure - all the better. TwoHobbies, tweeted your link to a single minute of exercise each day is linked A single minute of exercise each day is linked to better bone health in women and got two likes! KB870 - heck of alot of weeds pulled! Made a peach cobbler after dinner and now to watch The Handmaid's Tale and not too far off what the dystopian totalitarian regime that sits in the WH would like to have happen.

Hour of pilates this morning.

Nothing is ever the same as they said it was. It's what I've never seen before that I recognise. - Diane Arbus Dx 4/13/2012, DCIS/IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/12/2012 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap, Nipple reconstruction

Jul 23, 2017 03:36PM Heidihill wrote:

Good luck, Ruth. TH, am thinking of incorporating at least 2 minutes of running or biking at my peak heart rate to my daily routine too. Today I managed 13 minutes of that biking with DH, plus 30 minutes at cardio rate and 165 minutes fat burning. I dont usually have my sensor on but DH wanted to compare stats with his new fitness tracker. Badger, thanks for the article. Next month will be 10 years for me. Would love to participate in that study but Wisconsin is a bit out of the way. I will send my onc a copy and see what he says. 

Dx 8/2007, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, 2/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Hormonal Therapy 3/24/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jul 23, 2017 07:23PM TwoHobbies wrote:

'Ruth, I forgot earlier to tell you good luck and a speedy recovery!!!

Badger, fascinating study and I just can't wait to hear what they find! Also love the video you posted earlier. It is always one of my favorite and I love it no matter how many times I see it.

Heidi, congrats on your 10 years. Maybe this exercising is helping! I was definitely excited to see the "one minute" being a hater of running.

All I got done today was weeding (lots of weeds so lots of squats) and walking all over Lowe's and Home Depot.

Jul 23, 2017 08:16PM Wonderland wrote:

Good Luck tomorrow Ruth!!!

"Put on your coat. It's easier to stay warm than it is to get warm." George the Llama Man Dx 11/2006, IDC, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 2/36 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/27/2006 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 1/2/2007 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 6/5/2007 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 9/22/2007 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 9/9/2009 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 9/20/2009 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jul 23, 2017 09:05PM Falconer wrote:

Sweetandspecial- you do make a convincing argument!

Badger- thanks for sharing that piece of inspiration.

Heidi- Yes to ten years!! Here's to ten more!!!!

Ruth- holding you in the light. Hoping for a routine procedure that has you healing up well so you can return to your beloved yoga class!

Walked all over the island today.
Strong is the new strong. Dx at 45. Onco 16. Monthly Lupron shots Nov. 2016-December 2017 Dx 7/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/2016, DCIS, Left, 5cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/30/2017 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jul 23, 2017 11:52PM hbcheryl wrote:

Thinking of you Ruth, sending a big (((hug))) and wishing you a speedy recovery.  Heidi congratulations on 10 years, I wonder if they could include you in the study via your onc.  Mommy the Minion memes are hilarious.  LB I have such respect for the Macmillan organization, those nurses are angels on earth.

Well I went for my physical on Friday and got poked and prodded, had extra blood drawn just in case my foot was gout (thankfully came back negative) had x rays of my knee and foot in case it was my knee causing the foot problem, knee isn't in bad shape a little arthritis and narrowing of the joint so I have exercises to help strengthen it and he did give me a cortisone shot in my foot OMG I have never experienced such pain, I have had cortisone shots before in my foot (twice) but this time I had a cortisone flare geeze I was in tears wanting my Mum, thankfully by Saturday it was over, I did rest yesterday and today went to the gym and did Body Pump this morning but did not do the squats and lunges. Hope everyone has a great week.

Dx 7/25/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 24, 2017 05:38AM M0mmyof2 wrote:

Jul 24, 2017 12:03PM ruthbru wrote:

Survived surgery fine but the hospital food may kill me!

Jul 24, 2017 01:10PM Wonderland wrote:

Yea on surviving the surgery! Yuck and Boo on the hospital food!

(((HUGS)))

"Put on your coat. It's easier to stay warm than it is to get warm." George the Llama Man Dx 11/2006, IDC, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 2/36 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/27/2006 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 1/2/2007 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 6/5/2007 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 9/22/2007 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 9/9/2009 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 9/20/2009 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jul 24, 2017 02:32PM octogirl wrote:

ha! She's already complaining about the hospital food! Always a good sign that things went reasonably well....:-)

Yesterday's exercise was mostly housecleaning. Swam 45 minutes of laps today. Lots more fun than the housecleaning!

Octogirl

Dx 6/18/2015, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/16/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 9/8/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/15/2015 Hormonal Therapy 1/14/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 4/7/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Jul 24, 2017 03:30PM ruthbru wrote:

Ha, ha, it was probably more the anesthesia than the food. I just had some soup which tasted pretty good and just sent DH to procure a malt. All you fellow exercisers can appreciate this; at noon the nurse asked if I would like to dangle my legs over the side of the bed and and I told her I'd rather go for a walk, so we did. Since I'm moving fine on my own, they already pulled the cath......I also 'passed' the respiratory therapy evaluation. It pays to stay fit in every way!

Jul 24, 2017 04:44PM - edited Jul 24, 2017 04:45PM by M0mmyof2

Glad to hear you are doing well Ruth.

Going to workout in a bit

Jul 24, 2017 05:00PM Falconer wrote:

Yay, Ruth!

Mommyof2- I feel like eating lasagna after seeing those Garfield comics! Ha!

Jul 24, 2017 07:30PM badger wrote:

Thanks for checking in w/positive news, Ruth. The food must not be good, otherwise, you'd post a pic.

HeidiHill, congrats on ten years! It would be awesome if you could participate in the survivor study.

Cheryl, ow ow ow cortisone flare sounds brutal. Glad the shot helped but oh the cost.

Headed to the gym for some treadmill time and maybe weights. Be good to get my heart rate up a bit.

Page 1074 of 1,191 (35,703 results)