We are 199,591 members in 81 forums discussing 146,152 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Fitness and Getting Back in Shape → Topic: Let's Post our Daily Exercise

Topic: Let's Post our Daily Exercise

Forum: Fitness and Getting Back in Shape — Conversations about exercise, diet, and getting back in shape after breast cancer diagnosis and treatment.

Posted on: Sep 28, 2009 05:56AM

Morgan513 wrote:

I'm doing the Firm Cardio Step mix and will walk the dog for a mile later today.

Lorrie 

Dx 4/9/2008, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 1138 of 1,142 (34,235 results)

Posts 34111 - 34140 (34,235 total)

Jan 12, 2018 04:16PM Sweetybert wrote:

Thank you hbcheryl

Starting my 30 minute walk tomorrow with my hubby. I needed a jump start to get back on track.

Dx 8/9/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/15 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 9/12/2017 AC + T (Taxotere)

Jan 12, 2018 04:54PM patoo wrote:

BcsGirl/pat01, Natsfan also will abandon us if the Nationals are anywhere near going to the World Series. Fortunately the World Series is over(?) by October? Or does it go into October (yeah, you can tell I don't follow).

Dexa was postponed because machine was down so now not until the 25th.

Snickers/Vargadoll, I was in Asheville in 2015 with my sister. Toured 8 days and we had a ball, even finding a beach, and with the best being ending the trip with the Omni Spa - heavenly! MexiHeather, thanks for the compliment.

So glad we now have a start for Nashville. So we need to decide how much time to spend at Cheryl's friend. I believe she's like an hour in the mountains outside of Nashville? And how much time for Nashville. Weigh in, friends, about total length of the trip you would be willing to spend with these crazy gals. I'm open.

Okay, I need almost 5000 steps to make 10,000 so going to either do a DVD or watch a show and march with it.

Night sculpted friends.

"for we live by faith, not by sight" - 2 Corinthians 5:7 Dx 10/24/2008, ILC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 2/12/2009 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 4/2/2009 Breast Surgery Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel

Jan 12, 2018 06:58PM Claire_in_Seattle wrote:

I had a different reaction to President Trump's comment.

It made me reflect on how lucky and thankful I am not to have been born in a number of places in the world. For one thing, I would most likely have died from cancer, because standard treatment would not have been available. This would have been after I had been disowned by my family as "diseased". This is assuming that I didn't perish from childhood or a host of infectious diseases, or from needing to sell my body because there were no other means of earning a living (and acquiring AIDS in that deal). Or because there were no sanitary conditions for childbirth, and I succumbed to infection. 

There are some truly ghastly places on this planet, particularly for women. Compared to what so many women face, I have led (and continue to lead) a charmed life. - Claire 

Completed all treatment (AC +T, lumpectomy, radiation and 5 years of AIs - anastrazole). Now celebrating every single day for the wonderful life I have been granted. Dx 8/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH)

Jan 12, 2018 07:23PM Wonderland wrote:

It's been a week since the last time I posted. Just caught up with reading through the pages.

Badger: So sorry about your mother. Thinking of you and especially your mom.

Welcome to all the new ladies!

Nashville sounds wonderful!!!

I haven't been as active this week (got in a walk/run yesterday) as a good friend of mine was hospitalized a week ago and I have been staying many hours with her. She's a Little Person and was paralyzed from the waist down after back surgery 4 years ago. Due to severe ulcers (bed sores) on her bottom she had to have a colostomy which will be permanent. She is now in a nursing home bc she is on IV antibiotics for 6 weeks. She was confused in the hospital - one day she thought she in a village, another day she thought she was in an apartment, etc. She has had moments of confusion prior to her being in the hospital and we are all concerned as what this means for her future. My friend lives in her house by herself and has someone from Home Instead come 3 times a week in the evening. Her sister comes over every morning, gets her out of her bed with a lift and into the wheelchair, breakfast, etc. Her confusion adds a whole new level to her care.

Tomorrow is Girl Scout Cookie Delivery Day. Wish me luck as we distribute over 3000 cases for our Service Unit. That's just the initial order!

"Put on your coat. It's easier to stay warm than it is to get warm." George the Llama Man Dx 11/2006, IDC, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 2/36 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/26/2006 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 1/1/2007 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 6/4/2007 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 9/21/2007 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 9/9/2009 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 9/19/2009 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jan 12, 2018 07:38PM - edited Jan 12, 2018 08:09PM by ruthbru

I better not start expounding about how far America has strayed from the 'give me your tired, your poor' promise we have made to the downtrodden people of the world and the ideal that we are supposed to be a Shining City on a Hill or I will be banished by the mods........

So.......today I subbed (8th grade English, Falconer!) and went to Zumba. The snow has stopped, the streets are semi-cleaned off, but it is back to being real cold, 24 below this morning and tonight is supposed to be even worse.

Tessu, I really don't do that much (in comparison to Vargadoll anyway.....she is the Steps Queen). I just make sure to post every day so it seems like a lot!Loopy

Sweetybert, my experience was.....chemo made me feel so crummy that radiation was a piece of cake in comparison.

I just ordered a Nashville Visitors Guide. I've never been there. For people who have, what would be a good amount of time to hit the highlights? 3 days? 4? and how many days to we want in the mountains......would 3 be about right? Would a week (give or take a day) be about right?

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 12, 2018 07:54PM Snickersmom wrote:

Badger, I thought about you today - I was in back of a car with a Florida plate that said Badger! You guys are everywhere!

Dx 3/22/2017, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 5/3/2017 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 6/12/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jan 12, 2018 07:58PM Snickersmom wrote:

Ruthbru - if they banish you, I'll be right there with you!

Not sure about a week in Nashville. I was thinking maybe a total of 5 days? Never having gone with you all before, I know I'm low man on the totem pole of decision-making! So I will go along with whatever the group decide

Dx 3/22/2017, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 5/3/2017 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 6/12/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jan 12, 2018 08:14PM - edited Jan 12, 2018 08:14PM by ruthbru

I was thinking of the Nashville and mountain retreat both in my total. 4 days in Nashville and 3 in the mountains? Or 3 days each place? or 3 days in Nashville and 2 in the mountains? Or?

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 13, 2018 07:56AM pat01 wrote:

I've been to Nashville a couple of times. As Cheryl said, Country Music Hall of Fame Museum is a must see - if you like music (not just country) you will love this museum. Expect to spend a few hours there. Other things we did was tour the Ryman (the original home of the grand old opry), that was good too, but much shorter, 1-2 hours. We also went to "the Station Inn" which is an interesting music venue where you share long tables - heard bluegrass one time, the other time heard a songwriters forum, and one of the guys wrote songs for Cheryl Crow. Neither time were we able to get to the Bluebird, it is a very small place and tickets sell out quickly. The main drag is what you would expect, honky-tonks and souvenir shops. There is a lovely pedestrian bridge over the river which is nice to walk, and on the other side is Nissan stadium, home to the Tennesee Titans, which my Patriots are going to beat later today! If we are in Nashville over a Sunday and they are playing, I would love to go to a game with anyone who might be interested.

One thing I would suggest and caution about Nashville is to look for any major award shows that might be there in early October. We ran across one that was going to be later in the week (we only had a couple of nights in Nashville that trip), and they had a lot of outdoor concerts and events, which was nice, but also the city was extremely crowded, so eating, getting around, and getting a reasonable room was very difficult.

Horrible rain storm last night, but got rid of most of the snow, now temperatures are plummeting rapidly (it was 57 when I got up), giving us what the weathermen said will be a flash freeze. But I got my classical stretch in. Now to get some chores done this afternoon before and evening of football!

Dx 6/1/2011, DCIS/IDC, Right, Stage IA, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 13, 2018 08:13AM BucsGirl wrote:

Ha ha, sorry everyone. I do want to go on a trip with all of you one day. I'd just hate to miss a game (even if they stink right now). It's the one thing that my husband and I do together. You know? We have that in common. I wouldn't want to abandon him. Besides, these tickets are expensive. The NFL has dopey policies about selling them nowadays.

Patoo - That's cool that there are others like us in this organization who are into our teams. Yeah, I just can't make a decision until the schedule comes out. The World Series is played through October, so it should be over by November. I think it depends on how many games are needed in a series to determine the winner. I'm more of a football than baseball fan. But, we like both.

I'm starting out slow today. It's a playoff weekend. I'm hoping to reach the 10000 step goal by tonight.

**Formerly Known as TampaBayBucsGirl** Dx 9/29/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 10/25/2016 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 12/2/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/2/2016 Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 2/27/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 3/1/2017 Whole-breast: Breast

Jan 13, 2018 09:10AM - edited Jan 13, 2018 09:29AM by LilacBlue

Wonderland, I was sorry to read the prognosis of your friend. Claire, quite different. My reaction is equal to the UN statement, racist and shameful. A trip to Nashville would be nice, yet I'm not free to travel much in 2018. Chilling out this afternoon and evening, lying here on the sofa this cold, late afternoon. Looking to catch up on neglected correspondence and reading. Was listening to Radio 4 this morning whilst driving and a man was discussing weight loss by eating meals within a 12 hour window, such as 8am to 8pm, and then fasting for the remaining day. This appears to make a huge difference to whether fat is stored, or burned up by the body. Also mentioned how stress leads to weight gain. Perhaps nothing new gleaned, although found it interesting. Still think there is a hole to be filled in the bc book market; how to successfully lose weight on Al's. Go fitbit group!

BodyBalance this morning.

Nothing is ever the same as they said it was. It's what I've never seen before that I recognise. - Diane Arbus Dx 4/13/2012, DCIS/IDC, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/12/2012 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap, Nipple reconstruction

Jan 13, 2018 09:30AM badger wrote:

hi all and welcome Sweetybert!

2FUN, you're probably OTR by now. Not sure about Milw forecast but plan for it to be cold in WI.

Snickersmom, you are right, Badger Nation is everywhere.

RE: Nashville, my only conflict in Oct is the 17th but could skip the meeting (happily!) if necessary. I'm up for anything time-wise, as no plans around Packers football or Brewers baseball LOL. There's someone at work who's from Nashville so I plan to buy her a coffee and chat. I have the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Station Inn on my wish list.

Saw mom last night and it was a challenging visit. Instead of being ready to go to supper in the dining room, she was in her nightgown in the recliner, having a pity party for herself. Staff had told me that earlier, she'd been out in the community, doing a group activity, and waving at people. So, apparently, she's playing helpless victim for me. I refused to buy into it, and that made her mad. Good.

She is against AL as doesn't want to "lose her independence" so said mom in that case you need to prove you can be independent. You are not behaving like someone who can be independent and I can't be here 24/7 so let the people here help you. I had organized her meds but she re-did it, and not correctly. She hid three bottles of anti-anxiety meds from me but I found them, the sneak. That is addict behavior and dementia behavior. The steroid shot may have helped as consumption of pain pills has slowed considerably, possibly due to only having a few left and wanting to stretch them out, as she should have been doing all along. We see her family doc on Monday. His nurse called yesterday and I spelled out my concerns so they're in the know.

Fingers crossed for an incident-free weekend. Need to clean my house, do chores, and hit the gym. A nice long, hard workout will do me good.

7,165.4 miles walked ~ Find your calm. Move forward from this place. Dx 12/22/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 13, 2018 11:01AM Vargadoll wrote:

The weather has flipped again! It was in the high 40's -low 50's Thursday and Friday accompanied by lots of rain. Today we are back to 11 with the wind chill and it' spitting snow. It's going to get colder tonight and tomorrow. My outside Christmas decorations are not making it back to storage anytime soon! My temps are warn compared to several on this thread!

I am dragging today! My girl got me up 4 times last night! She usually sleeps 8 pm until I wake her. Before BC if she got me up it was no big deal. I could sleep 2 hours and be fine. Not anymore! I need my sleep! I have all the housework done and a big pot of vegetable soup cooking for me. I will make DH a nice pasta dish with Italian sauage in a few. I am realizing that I can not eat the things he does. I have fought to not fix two different meals but I give up! This added weight is not budging! I know my fitbit steps look big but before BC I was 28,000-36,000 a couple of days a week. I need to get back there! I feel the LE is what's dragging me down. I'm so close to have it under control and I need to keep moving foward!

Was it this thread that some one posted about scar tissue and LE? I just started laser light therapy for my fibrosis. I will let you know how it goes. Right now I'm not a happy girl because I have to wear my compression bra and chip bag during the day. I hate this bra even though it feels good.

Dx 12/23/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/6/2017 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/12/2017 Breast

Jan 13, 2018 11:14AM tessu wrote:

(((hugs))) to Badger and her mom, and to Wonderland and her friend, and to everyone else coping with health crises in loved ones (((hugs)))

My Pain Clinic doc got a bit cross with me when I told her I haven’t been walking like I ised to because it’s slippery out and I don’t have a dog anymore. She insisted I start getting outdoors regularly again, for fresh air and because she knows how much Nature has always relaxed me. So this morning I put on my studded anti-slip boots (Icebug) and went out for an almost 1 - 1/2 hour walk, but have no idea how many steps, because I forgot my cellphone. But I picked a great time, because I got to pet half a dozen friendly dogs who were also out for their park walks at the same time :) Then this afternoon I did 30 minutes on the exercise bike, ten sit-ups, and some hand weights work (just 1 1/2 kg but hey that’s my level right now!) So I am now feeling ridiculously proud of myself (and sore...)

Runnermum thanks for suggesting collagen, that’s new to me. I just started glucosamine pills that some of my local bc friends are taking, and I want to give that a month to see if they help the joint pains. If not, I’ll switch to collagen. I don’t like to add more than one new thng at a time because I develop allergies so quickly.

Hope you are all enjoying the weekend :)

Be gentle with yourself. Dx 7/29/2015, IDC, Right, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Hormonal Therapy 12/20/2016 Femara (letrozole) Chemotherapy CEF Surgery Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Jan 13, 2018 11:21AM - edited Jan 13, 2018 11:22AM by DancingElizabeth

Tessu - congrats on your amazing workout!!! That is really great!!!

As for me, still have an annoying and embarrassing cough. But, getting better - slowly. Last night, I went to the gym - after no workout for 4 days.

And, had a nice 30 min on the bike. Nothing too hard, but got in a good sweat and felt soooooo much better!!! I want to go again today but am a little worried about this bug (whatever it is) coming back.... My super-fit DD seems to be getting sick again. and she's never sick. Oh well...

Dx 4/13/2016, DCIS/IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 3/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/17/2016 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 5/31/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 7/6/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 11/7/2016 Hormonal Therapy 11/8/2016

Jan 13, 2018 11:54AM BucsGirl wrote:

Vargadoll - It might have been me. I have truncal LE. I do the whole compression bra and chip bag thing. I also have one of those cherry pit packs to wear when using my Flexitouch pump. The laser light therapy sounds like something I would definitely be interested in. My next f/u with the surgeon isn't until February. He wanted to see how it looks in 3 months before recommending anything. I'm supposed to be aggressively massaging the scar tissue, but it just feels too weird. I hate wearing my compression bras. I just want to be free.

I think I'm going to try out my new yoga dvd. It's called "Healing Yoga For Cancer." It's supposed to have poses that are gentle and easy. We'll see about that.

I also want to send hugs to everyone (and their family & friends) dealing with health issues. Hopefully things will start getting better soon.

**Formerly Known as TampaBayBucsGirl** Dx 9/29/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 10/25/2016 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 12/2/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/2/2016 Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 2/27/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 3/1/2017 Whole-breast: Breast

Jan 13, 2018 12:19PM Vargadoll wrote:

Bucsgirl- I have truncal LE to! I use my flexipump every night. Have you had any cupping done on your scar? I think it feels so good but have read others do not find it enjoyable. I even got my own cup and work on myself! I absolutely hate the compression bra! I was a Victoria Secret girl before all the nonsense! Do you have the chip bag that wraps around to your back? It's hard to put on! I will keep you posted on the laser therapy Happy

Dx 12/23/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/6/2017 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/12/2017 Breast

Jan 13, 2018 12:46PM BucsGirl wrote:

Vargadoll - I use my flexipump just about every night. I have skipped some days though. My chip bag was made by my therapist. I really need to get another one. This one is kind of falling apart. I've never had a cupping massage done before. I'm writing all of this down so I know what to ask for. I see that it's like a suction. Where did you get your cup from? Hey, I'll try anything to soften up the scar tissue.

It looks like my DVD player on my PC is broken. No yoga for me today.

Jan 13, 2018 12:55PM LilacBlue wrote:

BucsGirl, you can view Denise Hopkins, Healing Yoga For Cancer online (scroll below her bio) http://www.cwellness.com/contributor-profile/denise-hopkins/ many gentle poses in short clips.

Nothing is ever the same as they said it was. It's what I've never seen before that I recognise. - Diane Arbus Dx 4/13/2012, DCIS/IDC, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/12/2012 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap, Nipple reconstruction

Jan 13, 2018 01:29PM BucsGirl wrote:

Oh wow, thanks LilacBlue! I didn't know she had an online library of gentle poses. I'll definitely save this link and attempt again tomorrow. This is exactly what I need to get my back in shape again so that I can continue to heal.

Thanks again! Happy

Jan 13, 2018 02:07PM Vargadoll wrote:

Bucsgirl - I was researching online for them and one day a ad popped on FB. I ordered it then but can not remember what company. It's kind of scary that things I look at pop up on pintrest and FB! Definitely ask your doctor abut the cupping. I started mine before I was finished radiation.

Thanks for sharing the yoga info! I need to do something besides run around the house!

Jan 13, 2018 06:14PM ruthbru wrote:

Wonderland, maybe your friend is still suffering the effects on anesthesia. I hope so, and that she can get her bearings. I have a good friend, whom we are all very worried about. There is a strong history of Alzheimers in her family, and she has really shown signs of the disease in the last half year or so.....not just the 'normal' aging stuff. We're all been covering for her; sending text reminders of activities, picking her up for stuff etc. but we are wondering if we need to talk to someone in her family. She is married and her husband is very nice. I can't imagine that he doesn't notice.......very, very troubling.

Badger, hope your mom settles in better. Yikes!

I can't find any list of Nashville events in October. Too far out? Maybe the Visitors Guide will have more information when it comes (in two or three weeks). I noticed they do have Hop On/Hop Off tours. Being a Presidential History buff, I would love to see the Hermitage, home of Andrew Jackson, which is 20 minutes from downtown and 5 minutes from the airport (according to the internet).

Tessu, sounds like you had a very fun day!

This morning I went to POUND (very hard AND fun) & then stayed for Yoga (not so fun, I don't really care for this instructor's classes, so I was thinking very un-Zenlike thoughts such as, "How much time if left", "I can't wait for this to be over" etc.). Since then I've gone to lunch wit DS, spent quality time with the grand-puppies, had coffee with our old lady friend at the nursing home, and gone to two college basketball games. No rest of the wicked! Loopy

Jan 13, 2018 07:39PM badger wrote:

90 mins @gym today felt GREAT! 20 TM warm-up, 40 strength, 30 yoga aahhh needed that.

This after a call from mom, who fell again damnit. She managed to call 911. EMS came, got her up and checked over, but no trip to ER as mom refused. EMS was OK with that and so was I once we chatted. There was no need for me to go up there so hit the gym. We'll talk Sun morning then see the doc on Mon.

Ruth, I found the Southern Festival of Books, a three-day Festival celebrated each year in Nashville. They don't have the 2018 dates but it's held during the second full weekend of October. It is free and open to the public. No advance registration or tickets are required. All seating is on a first-come basis.

The Festival annually welcomes more than 200 authors from throughout the nation and in every genre for readings, panel discussions and book signings. Book lovers have the opportunity to hear from and meet some of America's foremost writers in fiction, history, mystery, food, biography, travel, poetry and children's literature among others.

7,165.4 miles walked ~ Find your calm. Move forward from this place. Dx 12/22/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 13, 2018 11:13PM tessu wrote:

LilacBlue thanks for posting the yoga video site! I’m viewing them over breakfast and yes these are something I could do! My health club has offered yoga off and on, but the poses are way too hard, def not beginner stuff. A college friend has been after me for years to do yoga; her insisting it’s easy has only made me feel guilty that up till now I haven’t been able to. Maybe this will do the trick :)

Be gentle with yourself. Dx 7/29/2015, IDC, Right, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Hormonal Therapy 12/20/2016 Femara (letrozole) Chemotherapy CEF Surgery Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Jan 14, 2018 02:25AM Heidihill wrote:

badger, glad your mom is OK for now. 

The exercise physiologist I saw (as part of my general checkup) said I should do yoga to open up my hips. I think she meant warrior poses, so I'm trying to incorporate those to my cooldowns. Last year, I tried to do a regular yoga practice but didn't keep it up. Oh well, my horoscope says yoga is not for me, I am more suited to HIIT. The physiologist also said I don't do enough slow, steady cardio and should devote another session a week to this. Something about training my muscles to use up fat during exercise and preserve glycogen. Apparently I build up lactate too quickly. I think I was building up lactate due to stress from the excruciatingly painful blood draws from my earlobe to test for lactate. It was not a good day for blood draws in general. They had to use an ultrasound machine to find a usable vein for other tests. Anyway my earlobe has recovered and I should start thinking of steady state cardio.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/going-steady-5-reasons-to-do-steady-state-cardio.html

Ruth, I would talk to the family and have her see a doctor who would be best qualified to diagnose what's going on. 

Dx 8/2007, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, 2/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Hormonal Therapy 3/25/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 14, 2018 05:51AM TwoHobbies wrote:

Did my stairs HIIT routine at work Friday. Yoga and lots of running around doing errands yesterday. I just started back to yoga after Christmas and I'm not really enjoying it since my head injury last March. I can walk, run, ride my bike and I'm perfectly fine but something about moving my head in these poses are making me slightly dizzy. I have 6 more sessions on this pack. May just do a lot of "restore and meditate" sessions.

Heidi, I think what we learn is a well rounded routine is the way to go. Slower cardio does help me lose weight - I just have trouble slowing down. I've been in the unable to get a vein camp - not fun, but have never had to go to the earlobe!

Badger, sorry about more trouble with mom. Maybe she will realize she could use assisted living.

Lilac, it is good advice to eat in a small window - and also not to snack all day even during that window. Mouse studies have shown that this can even blunt the effects of junk food diet. If I ever lose weight on the AIs - I am going to write the book. Frustrating work but I have at least lost the last 3 pounds I gained. Next goal is the 5 I have gained these last two or three years. As for how we cope with our president-by counting down the days! I'm so stunned by him, but not shocked because this is what we have seen all along. I work and live with immigrants from many countries every day. I'm just nauseous when I hear his ignorance and "values".

Round 1 -bmx, tug flap reconstruction, tamoxifen. Local Recurrence-excision, TCx4, radiation, Zoladex, Anastrazole. Dx 2/22/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/25/2013, <1cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 14, 2018 06:37AM ruthbru wrote:

TwoHobbies, I have two friend who really want to do yoga but can NOT because they get so dizzy. One had a bad head injury about 5 years ago and, although she can do any other kind of exercise, she actually gets nauseous when she tries it. She kept trying but finally gave up on it.

Some fitness club banned the news channels in their gym because they felt it wasn't in the best interest of their clients health to watch it while exercising. Sad but true at this point in time.

I am sitting here drinking a cup of coffee and then will do a toning DVD. Later this afternoon I will be glued to the TV watching the Minnesota Vikings hopefully win their playoff game. Fellow football fans, unless you are from New Orleans, please send up a cheer for them!

Jan 14, 2018 06:45AM BucsGirl wrote:

Thanks Vargadoll! It's interesting that you were able to do that during radiation therapy. My RO didn't want anyone or anything massaging my breast (LE specialist) during that time. Especially when we started seeing the signs of LE. I think they each have their own way of dealing with the edema. I wish I had known about cupping sooner. I did read an article about it. It sounds like it would help with the flow around the scar tissue. I also saw some devices on Amazon. I just need my surgeon to give me another referral to the therapist (sort of like a reevaluation). It has gotten a lot better. I just have a very small area with peau de orange skin. I just need to soften up that tissue around the scar.

Wonderland - I agree with Ruth. The anesthesia may be the culprit here. My mother is 4'11" and very tiny. She had surgery this past August and she's still in a short-term memory fog. It has gotten better. You mentioned that your friend is a little person. Perhaps the anesthesia would affect her the same way if she had a large dose. They say that it gets worse if they are under anesthesia for long surgical procedures. Hopefully it clears up. The anesthesiologist told us that it could take a year to clear up for elderly people. 

Yesterday I was able to reach 10000 steps. No elliptical activity, and I'm bummed about that. I'll do that this morning along with these yoga poses. I think the playoff games start at 1:00 today so I have to get an early start.

Jan 14, 2018 07:52AM badger wrote:

sorry Ruth, it's just not in my WI DNA to root for the Vikings. :-) But I'll hit the gym around that time.

On Weds we did a yoga movement that the instructor called scoop the water. Can't find the real name but it's similar to a tai chi movement called scoop the moon. The yoga variation was to fold down, scoop water in your hands, rise and bring it to your face, then stretch up and release it over your head. Both really good for hip flexion. Of course, the gym rat in me wanted it to be KB DLs LOL.

Here's a video showing scoop the moon. The instructor isn't the most dynamic but you'll get the drift.

Haven't been wearing my HR monitor lately as found it distracts from workout. If I cinch it tight enough to not slip, it's uncomfortable, and I have better things to pay attention to, like my form and my breathing. Feel good that I've advanced enough to not need it but the charts were fun.

Jan 14, 2018 10:18AM - edited Jan 14, 2018 10:18AM by badger

Sun morning check-in with mom yielded good news/bad news. The good news is she's finally yielded to the idea of assisted living. The bad news is it took another fall to persuade her. She said she fell in the early evening and used her pendant to call for EMS. Again, she refused hospital transport but this time she didn't call me. Wouldn't have been able to do anything, anyway. I can't be there 24/7 and that's what she needs. Natural consequences are hard.

Page 1138 of 1,142 (34,235 results)