We are 197,799 members in 81 forums discussing 145,375 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Fitness and Getting Back in Shape → Topic: Post-mastectomy yoga :-)

Topic: Post-mastectomy yoga :-)

Forum: Fitness and Getting Back in Shape — Conversations about exercise, diet, and getting back in shape after breast cancer diagnosis and treatment.

Posted on: Mar 20, 2014 12:35PM

IndigoMont11 wrote:

This is not a "heavy" topic, but hi all!  At (very long) last, I'm starting yoga, 2 years out from surgery (as of tomorrow!) and nearly 18 months out from completing active treatment.  I had BMX, no recon.  I use silicon prosthetics but am going flat for working out (who cares then, right?).   For my first two classes (which I loved - and I'm so not an exercise class person!), I just wore an empty sports bra under my tanks because they are too thin to wear nothing underneath.  I'm thinking a bandeau or tube might be a lot more comfortable. I'm looking around, but just would like to know if anyone has tried any that they would recommend?  Also, I did two classes that were centered on deep stretching.  I am already feeling a lot of improvement in my radiated chest muscles as well as my stiff-feeling joints (a la tamoxifen and menopause).  I work 9-10 hours a day at a computer and while I don't have LE, I've still been feeling a lot of discomfort and even tingling all the way down to my left hand.  I'd love to hear from anyone out there who's been practicing for awhile or just starting too!  Hugs!

You are NOT alone here. Dx 3/2/2012, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/21/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 4/20/2012 AC Chemotherapy 7/12/2012 Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 10/15/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 12/13/2012

Page 2 of 2 (33 results)

Posts 31 - 33 (33 total)

Oct 12, 2017 12:45PM - edited Oct 13, 2017 08:51AM by TrmTab

Went to my first post-exchange yoga class last night, I am a day short of 5 weeks post-op. I went to a Yin Yoga class, so slow and long postures, only one downward dog all night, but I was hesitant to pop up...it was okay, but when we then walked our way back to forward fold, I couldn't transition but went back to my knees and got up without weight on my arms/pecs.

I figured one class this week. Next week I have signed up for 2 classes, Yin again, and a Gentle Yoga...which does lots of dogs, warriors, cobras, etc so will have to modify as needed for strength and flexibility issues. I am just as cautious/concerned about laying flat on my belly on the "hard" floor of a thin yoga mat as I am about popping up on downward dog....I am NO WHERE near being able to even think about Plank!

Dx 9/2015, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 12/21/2015 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 1/10/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 2/4/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 6/3/2016 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 9/8/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant

Oct 12, 2017 08:20PM - edited Oct 12, 2017 08:21PM by EastcoastTS

TrmTab:

I'm 5 weeks post Exchange today -- and could not do plank right now. And not sure about downward, either. I think I'm going to give it the rest of this month before I go back to Yoga. I was modifying slightly with TEs. Trying to baby the babies as I still have some minor pain.

Dx@ 49. Oncotype: 14, BRCA 1/2- Dx 1/4/2017, ILC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/26/2017 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 9/7/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Dec 2, 2017 02:46AM premmious wrote:

Are the classes still on and if where are they having the classes?

P. Harris BSN, RN

Page 2 of 2 (33 results)