We are 217,545 members in 81 forums discussing 154,231 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Interested in how tamoxifen & AIs affect runners

Forum: Fitness and Getting Back in Shape — Conversations about exercise, diet, and getting back in shape after breast cancer diagnosis and treatment.

Posted on: Oct 8, 2018 05:12PM

healthystrong wrote:

I think both of these medicines have affected my speed, stamina and attitude.  And not for the better!  Anyone have any thoughts/experiences they would like to share?  

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Oct 8, 2018 08:43PM Paco wrote:

Yes to all three. I've been on Tamoxifen for 6 months now and my endurance is in the toilet and my feet hurt like they never did before. Plantar fasciitis and tendinitis.

Trying to stay positive and load up on cross-training but I do wonder how I'll ever get my running mojo back. Boooooo

Dx @ 48 Dx 12/28/2017, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/13/2018 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 3/27/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 4/26/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Oct 9, 2018 07:44AM healthystrong wrote:

No one ever believes me when I say that I think the drugs have affected my performance--really ticks me off.  Keep up with the cross training. Don't give up.  I am not sure about the feet.  Maybe see a doc, get some therapy and some new shoes. Not sure if tamoxifen would cause/exacerbate this.   I was on tamoxifen from Jan 2013 to Nov 2015 when I went on to an aromatase inhibitor.   Your body should adjust to the tamoxifen somewhat so please keep up with the cross training.  In a way it is almost like you are starting the exercise program from the ground up, but keep up with it.  So many benefits from mood improvement to overall health.  Keep me posted!

Jan 26, 2019 02:36PM lorreymom wrote:

I can actually graft a decline in my 5 km times before, during and after tamoxifen. It’s not good. I was improving, getting stronger, then was put on tamoxifen. I went backwards. I told my oncologist and he took me off. My strength, pace and distance abilities came back and I ran my PR half marathon time this year. I told a breast cancer researcher colleague this and he is interested in studying it. He’s done work with exercise and diabetes before...his focus switched to breast cancer. Hope he follows through...I want to know why.

Proud blogger about running back to health after cancer on pinkribbonrunner.com Surgery 10/23/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Dx 11/5/2013, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 11/21/2013 CEF Chemotherapy 2/13/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel)

Jan 26, 2019 02:48PM healthystrong wrote:

I would love to find out why as well.  Please keep me posted.  My weight has not fluctuated substantially but  I  feel like my legs are heavier and larger. I am on AIs now and did a half marathon in March and one in June. Just not as fast and I know part of it is aging but a lot of it is the drugs. Running used to give me great joy and now I dread it --I feel like it is an obligation.  But I refuse to give up!

Jan 29, 2019 08:53PM lorreymom wrote:

Never give up! Running may be harder on tamoxifen, but you are getting many good things from doing it. Perhaps try not to be so hard on yourself? Recognize that tamoxifen won’t allow you to run the same pace. So focus on just enjoying your runs in another way. Maybe scenery, people you run with or just a slow medatative run? I understand your frustration. I was there. But you will find it again. As my mother in law always says, “this too shall pass”. Everything is temporary. ❤️

Proud blogger about running back to health after cancer on pinkribbonrunner.com Surgery 10/23/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Dx 11/5/2013, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 11/21/2013 CEF Chemotherapy 2/13/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel)

Feb 3, 2019 12:01PM healthystrong wrote:

Thank you so much Lorreymom!!!   I am going  to run today!

Mar 7, 2019 04:16PM lorreymom wrote:

I wrote an article about tamoxifen and running on my blog. Hope you find it helpful.

https://pinkribbonrunner.com/tamoxifen-and-running...

Mar 7, 2019 04:34PM AMLMom wrote:

Thank you for this thread and this post, and the article on your blog. This is one issue that I hadn’t thought about. I haven’t started tamoxifen yet, but I’m registered to run the NY marathon in November. Just2days ago I had my first post-diagnosis/post-surgery workout (mostly walking with a few one minute jogs). I guess I’m in denial. Sometimes I still don’t believe that I have breast cancer. 😞

Dx 11/2018, DCIS/IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 2/13/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Reconstruction (left)

Mar 9, 2019 02:55PM healthystrong wrote:

Lorrey mom---Thank you so much for sharing your pink ribbon runner blog.  I was feeling a large amount of frustration not only at myself for my inability to perform, but also at others who were so dismissive of me and told me it was not the drugs it was just me.  (lots of them women). I am still running and am happy to be out there.  AML mom---everyone reacts differently to the drugs so please do not let this discourage you!! Keep up with your running and keep us posted!  Good thoughts to all! 

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)