We are 220,316 members in 81 forums discussing 155,749 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can't get motivated

Forum: Fitness and Getting Back in Shape — Conversations about exercise, diet, and getting back in shape after breast cancer diagnosis and treatment.

Posted on: Oct 28, 2018 08:04AM - edited Oct 28, 2018 08:08AM by viewfinder

viewfinder wrote:

I've walked most of my life for exercise; not a lot; about 3/4 hour, two times a day.

Then I was in a serious fall and had ankle surgery. The pain in my ankle has gotten worse as I get older but I managed to walk about 20 minutes a day...until I was diagnosed with cancer in April of this year. I just stopped walking...in part because of initially being so down in the dumps, constant running to doctors, hospitals for tests, surgery and then running every weekday for three weeks for radiation.

It's getting cold where I live so use it as an excuse not to walk (I lived in South Florida for 30 years and really dislike the cold). I just can't get this together. Anyone else had a similar situation? Any suggestions?

“You would not have called to me unless I had been calling to you,” said the Lion. – C. S. Lewis Dx 4/2018, IDC, Left, <1cm, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes Surgery 6/11/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 9/13/2018 Hormonal Therapy 10/12/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Oct 29, 2018 10:51PM CaliKelly wrote:

Hi viewfinder! Exercise, for me, not only strengthens my body, but relieves a lot of the stress this disease puts us through. Surprisingly, instead of sapping my energy, it gives me energy, and perks up my mood. Here's my suggestion, hopefully you have health club somewhere nearby. Now, hear me out😄I know people hate gyms! Or so they think! The key is finding what you like to do at the gym. There is solitary exercise, like treadmills, bikes, elliptical machines, weight machines dumbbells (not the other members,the kind you lift😉)Or there's group exercises, fun or torturous classes. My sister wouldn't go, she thought they were"meat markets" all young people in shape. Not so at all! She found Zumba classes!Just really pure fun, dancing ! Mostly always all women of all ages and sizes, having a blast. Ive gone to gyms all my life. It's a great place to exercise, make friends, get motivated, and weather not a factor! It really does help get through treatments, to be active. Check it out girlfriend! Dont let me down after this pep talk!

Dx 6/17/2015, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 8/20 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Chemotherapy 8/11/2015 TAC Surgery 1/20/2016 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 1/30/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 6/29/2016 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Chemotherapy 11/3/2016 Xeloda (capecitabine) Surgery 10/7/2017 Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap Surgery 1/30/2019 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Oct 30, 2018 04:31AM NancyHB wrote:

I’m on that struggle bus Every. Single. Day. Finding internal motivation is so hard!! Part of my struggle is that I’m not as fast or good or as consistent in my abilities as I was pre-diagnosis, and I sorta feel like a failure so “why bother?” I like to run, and with winter on its way (I’m in MI) the cold and dark are giving me just the right excuse to skip my early-morning runs.

When I’m at my worst and determined NOT to move, I remind myself that I always feel better after (even if it’s just being proud of myself for getting out there and doing it). I never regret going for a run (now on the little track at the Y), or hiking at the nature center, or taking a yoga class, or hitting the weight machines - but I always regret it when I don’t.

I find if I schedule and prepare ahead of time - get all my gear together the night before - then I’m less likely to not do it, because all my gear is staring me in the face. I try gentle reminders with myself that I may not want to right now, but I’ll be happy after! And lastly I tell myself that I’m worth the self-care. I fought really hard through treatment - twice - and am at the precipice of starting treatment again, and I need to use this time when I feel good to do whatever I can.

An accountability partner helps me too - someone to gently nudge me to get back out there and try again, to do what I said I was going to do. There are exercise threads here which might help.

Keep up the good work - you’re worth the time and energy!!
"Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life." - Omar Khayyam Dx 11/22/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 12/4/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 1/18/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 6/11/2012 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 1/27/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 2/14/2016 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Left Chemotherapy 2/29/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 7/20/2016 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap Dx 1/31/2017, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone

Oct 30, 2018 06:51AM viewfinder wrote:

CaliKelly, what a delightful pep-talk. There is a place in the are where I can go for walking inside. It's low cost or no cost for county residents, so I'll give it a try. And try to motivate myself to walk late afternoon when it's warmer. Thanks for your encouragment.

“You would not have called to me unless I had been calling to you,” said the Lion. – C. S. Lewis Dx 4/2018, IDC, Left, <1cm, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes Surgery 6/11/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 9/13/2018 Hormonal Therapy 10/12/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 30, 2018 06:59AM viewfinder wrote:

Yes, NancyHB , I've found it harder and harder to get motivated since I got the news that I had cancer this August. Guess it can be summarized in two words "pity party," though there are other issues in my family's lives that also make things challenging.

Within my heart, I do know that the almost total lack of exercise will hurt me...so I better work on an attitude shift. And get walking.

Oct 30, 2018 12:51PM - edited Oct 30, 2018 12:51PM by CaliKelly

That's the spirit girls! Proud of you👍And maybe we can't do exactly what we used to do, so what! We do what we can, then next time we try to do it a little better, Or not, but we try! We get knocked down ,but we get up again! Sounds like a song😉I agree about accountability buddy, helps you feel more guilty for not going😂 Guilt is underrated. I'm sorry to say im one of those annoying people who love working out, it really does make you feel better after.Im in southern California so I can relate to the cold weather. Last night it was 60°! We were freezing!😂😂😉

Dx 6/17/2015, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 8/20 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Chemotherapy 8/11/2015 TAC Surgery 1/20/2016 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 1/30/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 6/29/2016 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Chemotherapy 11/3/2016 Xeloda (capecitabine) Surgery 10/7/2017 Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap Surgery 1/30/2019 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)