We are 220,316 members in 81 forums discussing 155,748 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Regular Exercise During Treatment After Sx Offers Benefits

Forum: Fitness and Getting Back in Shape — Conversations about exercise, diet, and getting back in shape after breast cancer diagnosis and treatment.

Posted on: Dec 27, 2018 11:46AM

Moderators wrote:

Regular Exercise During Treatment After Breast Cancer Surgery Offers Benefits
December 21, 2018

Women who followed a supervised, structured exercise program during treatment after surgery for stage I or stage II breast cancer had better heart health compared to women who weren't part of the exercise program. Read more...

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Jan 2, 2019 11:26AM Egads007 wrote:

" In this study, some of the women who participated in the exercise program had never owned a pair of running shoes or exercise clothing before the study started, but they did very well. "

I was one of 'those women' that didn't own a pair or Nikes and a die hard 'non exercising' guru pre-diagnosis. Five years on and I'm a die hard gym rat. Aside from the obvious health benefits exercise (especially strength training) brings, the peace of mind and empowerment I've gained is nothing short of awesome. I can't stress enough the importance of a regular regime, mind, body & soul. A real life changer.

Thanks Mods for posting this very important piece....something every single one of us should read and take into consideration!

Happy New Year!

"I base all my fashion choices on what doesn't itch" (Gilda Radner) Chemotherapy 3/19/2013 Doxil (doxorubicin), Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 8/22/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right Radiation Therapy 10/31/2013 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Dx IDC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 2, 2019 11:38AM - edited Jan 2, 2019 11:39AM by santabarbarian

The thing that was emphasized by the integrative cancer doc I consulted was exercise. "Your heart should think you are in training during chemo... It should think it needs to build strength." He recommended something very easy-- an interval training routine that is very short. You can do it walking, jogging, hiking, or on a bike or treadmill:

1. 30 seconds @ moderate/talking pace, then 30 seconds at intense pace (hard to talk). Repeat 3 x.

2. 3 minutes of rest.

3. repeat the above 3 times.

It's a total of 18 mins, including 9 minutes of rest. And it will tell your heart it needs to be working!!

pCR after neoadjuvant chemo Dx 7/13/2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 8/13/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 12/27/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 2/11/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)