We are 222,154 members in 81 forums discussing 156,588 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Diet and Nutrition - Together!

Forum: Fitness and Getting Back in Shape — Conversations about exercise, diet, and getting back in shape after breast cancer diagnosis and treatment.

Posted on: Apr 3, 2019 02:40AM

PebblesV wrote:

This thread is for those of us who have goals to focus on our diet and nutrition to get to our healthier selves. Whether to lose weight, combat or avoid side effects from treatment, just feel better overall, or any other reasons, it always helps to do this together, share our learnings and experiences and keep one another on track!

Starting this as a branch off of our going through hormonal therapy together thread. Everyone at all phases of treatment and those declining treatment and those at any and all phases of this journey are welcome! Let’s share our progress, recipes, workouts, nutrition discoveries, and updates.

Dx 9/7/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 9/19/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 6 of 6 (157 results)

Posts 151 - 157 (157 total)

Aug 9, 2019 06:59AM Ingerp wrote:

Pebbles--yes--getting to the gym is the hardest part. I started out going three days a week and am up to six (I will never give up my seventh day of rest--really gives me something to look forward to!!). If it helps, this is my schedule: two days a week of yoga, two days a week of upper body weights and cardio, and two days a week of lower body weights and cardio. I've found it helpful to break up my weight days. I started out just looking up a routine on line. It never takes more than about 25 minutes to complete that part of my workout, and then I jump on an elliptical and/or a treadmill (just walking!) or just the past week or so I've been doing a little on a rowing machine.

Let me just throw this out there. Even several years ago my PCP said I'm spending plenty of time at the gym (and I go even more now). What I'm not terribly successfully trying to do is add more movement during my work day. It's the whole idea that sitting all of those hours might shorten your lifespan more than not working out. I have an app called "Move" that signals you to get up and do *one* exercise for a minute or two every hour (or whatever interval you set it to). I've been trying to take short walks with my dog (where I live I usually just open the door to let him out). I've tried the standing desk thing (I work from home), but with limited success. I've even toyed with jumping rope for like 30 seconds periodically through the day. None of them have ever stuck past a week or two. Seems like something comes up--rough day at work, going out of town, . . .-- and I get out of the habit. <sigh>

Dx 3/11/2016, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 3/22/2016 Lumpectomy Surgery 4/19/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/17/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 3/2/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 3/12/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 5/17/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 5/17/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/19/2018 Whole-breast: Breast

Aug 9, 2019 10:44AM PurpleCat wrote:

Hi Pebbles - wow, we do sound a lot alike! :-) Except for the swimming … I'm very impressed! I'm sure you can ask for a diagnostic, if that's not already standard. My surgeon told me it was because they need to get a new baseline. I've already gotten the reminder phone call to schedule it, and would love to just do it, like, TODAY, to get it over with, but insurance requires a wait of a year and a day unless there's a new issue requiring investigation, so I'm probably going to end up doing it on or near the anniversary of my diagnosis. I'm trying to be glad I don't qualify for a rushed timeline, but I would so love to just get it over with.

Thanks to those who have shared fitness tips and experiences with that first mammogram after treatment. I keep telling myself that EVERYONE experiences scanxiety, especially at this stage, and the ominious uneasy sense of doom I keep feeling does NOT mean it's going to turn out badly, just that I'm normal. Sometimes it works …

Dx 10/2018, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/4/2018 Lumpectomy Surgery 10/18/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy

Aug 13, 2019 08:17AM GreenHarbor wrote:

If anyone is looking for more motivation to join a gym, consider this..... we got a reverse 911 phone call last night informing us that we should not use our tap water AT ALL due to a water/sewer main break in our town. I’m off to shower at the gym and buy some bottled water.

Dx 7/5/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 8/23/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 9/15/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/1/2018

Aug 13, 2019 09:07AM Ingerp wrote:

I've showered at my gym when we lost power. (Also hung out to read my morning paper, drink my tea, . . .)

Dx 3/11/2016, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 3/22/2016 Lumpectomy Surgery 4/19/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/17/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 3/2/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 3/12/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 5/17/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 5/17/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/19/2018 Whole-breast: Breast

Aug 14, 2019 01:50AM PebblesV wrote:

Ingerp - I love that you started at 3 days a week and now have a habit of 6 days a week! I'm starting at 3 days a week right now, so maybe I will be able to work my way up to where you are. So far, I went to the gym Mon., Weds., Thurs. and Fri. last week and Mon. and Tues this week during my lunch break, Tues. last week I did weights at home, and on the weekend I have to mix it up, still workout but in some other way like outdoor walks, swimming or tennis when I'm less constrained on time.

I think I'm starting to make a habit of it. Half the battle is getting up from my work (I work in an office) to break up the day to get into my car and hit the gym. Once I'm there, it's much easier to work out!

I walk the pups every day, I actually don't count that as a workout but it IS movement so that works! I have the Apple Watch that tells me to stand up every few hours so I just do it and work standing up. It's a good idea probably to break things up, especially for those of us who work behind a computer all day!

Purplecat - I may as for the diagnostic, it would definitely be good to know right away instead of waiting for that dreadful call. I'll ask my MO about it! By the way, my MO shared with me that one of his patients was so anxious about the mammogram every year that she ended up getting a masectomy - even though her results came through fine every year! A bit of an extreme reaction but I'm sharing the story just to share that we all get super anxious at this time. I feel like the first one is the most anxiety driven, after that, maybe it becomes more and more in the rear view mirror...

GreenHarbor - where are you? No tap water and no home showers? Wow, well I like that you have a bright side to it on motivation to join the gym!

I think I'm getting in the zone of going to the gym or doing some sort of workout 5 to 6 days a week now. The more I can make it a daily habit, the better I'm getting about it. I need to switch up what I do, so one day is the elliptical and then strength training upper body, the next is abs and strength training lower body, then back to the elliptical and so on, and on weekends that's when I swim or bike ride or take the pups on an extra long walk or take a dance class or exercise at home or play tennis with my husband (not well LOL, but well enough).

Now how to balance the fact that I'm trying to eat less but these extra workouts are making me hungrier?

Domino gives it some thought...

Dx 9/7/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 9/19/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 15, 2019 10:52AM GoKale4320 wrote:

Hello! I love this thread. It’s so positive and the focus is proactive.

Here is what I have been doing: Last summer I switched to a Plant Based diet after reading The China Study by T. Colin Campbell and watched the video “Forks Over Knives” on Netflix. I didn’t do it overnight, but I had taking small steps in that direction and finally made the leap.

I fast overnight most every day (except for vacations and special circumstances) at least 13 hours.

I pack my breakfast and lunch for work- frozen blueberries with high fiber cereal, pumpkin seeds on top. Lunch -usually steamed kale, beans, Brussels sprouts, spices including turmeric, black pepper, ginger, dry mustard, crushed garlic, and other vegetables With a tablespoon of ground flax seed on top. Dinner last couple nights was a black bean burger I made on a slice of bread with spinach salad.

I go to the gym in the morning before work to lift weights 3 times a week or run/walk on the treadmill the other 2 mornings. I take a walk at lunch and then I either go back to the gym after work or go home and walk or ride my bike. Weekends - it’s more of the same. I throw in some jump rope a little. What I need to do is yoga or Pilates on a regular basis.

A few things to motivate myself is I keep a log on my phone of my exercise. I aim for 10 hours a week. When I don’t want to go to the gym, I tell myself that I only have to exercise 10 minutes and go home. But once I’m there, the numbers on the treadmill spur me on. Or I think of another weight bearing exercise to do.

I also have a Fitbit- I love it! It also motivates me.

Dx: January 2017, IDC, Stage IIa, 1/23 nodes, Dx 1/2017, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 19, 2019 08:17PM GreenHarbor wrote:

Welcome, GoKale! This is a great thread, with lots of support and sharing of ideas.

My eating habits went WAY off track this weekend. I had a houseful of guests. It was a lot of fun, but I’m looking forward to getting back to healthier meals. The water woes in my town continue.... we can use tap water for everything except drinking and making ice. Drinking water has to be boiled. We’re on day 5 of this, ugh.

Dx 7/5/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 8/23/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 9/15/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/1/2018

Page 6 of 6 (157 results)