We are 224,985 members in 82 forums discussing 158,057 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Weight Lifting and Strength Building Post Menopause

Forum: Fitness and Getting Back in Shape — Conversations about exercise, diet, and getting back in shape after breast cancer diagnosis and treatment.

Posted on: Oct 4, 2019 10:24PM

WC3 wrote:

I was wondering if any women here who are post menopausal and on anti hormone therapy do any type of weight lifting or strength training.

I lost a lot of muscle mass during chemotherapy and I'd like to build some of it back, however, I was a "hard gainer" pre menopause, meaning I got low strength returns for the effort I put in to it, and I'm wondering if it's going to be even more difficult now that chemotherapy has put me in to menopause.

Dx 2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Chemotherapy 5/31/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/14/2018 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Oct 5, 2019 07:05AM Ingerp wrote:

Aren’t we all supposed to be lifting weights, for the bone density if nothing else? I do upper body two days a week and lower body two days a week. I also do cardio those days. I do a yoga class two days a week. On the seventh day I rest. ;-)

Dx 3/11/2016, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 3/23/2016 Lumpectomy Surgery 4/20/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/18/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 3/2/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 3/13/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 5/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 5/18/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/20/2018 Whole-breast: Breast

Oct 5, 2019 07:16AM vampeyes wrote:

WC3 - Ingrep is right that we all should be lifting to strengthen the muscles and bones. I use to workout like crazy before BC, unfortunately SEs of Tamoxifen and low iron are making it extremely difficult to do as much as I use to. So I do what I can, currently that involves stretching videos, squats and lunges, I am working my way back to lifting. A friend of mine lifts, started after her treatments, has suggested starting with body weight and going slow to avoid getting hurt, so I am passing on her advice to you. Start slow and gradually work up, do what you can and don't force it as bad posture can wreck havoc on your body.

HUGS

Diagnosed at 41. Oncotype 21 Dx 9/20/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/17/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 11/14/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 1/28/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 2/28/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Oct 5, 2019 07:56AM - edited Oct 5, 2019 07:57AM by ruthbru

Start slowly and work your way back in. I did chemo, rads, anti-hormonals......the works (plus I was post-menopausal); and although I was in good shape going in, I am in even better shape now. The only thing is that it will take time.....more time than you'd like. I'd say that it was at least a year (probably more like two) before I felt like I had gotten back to ground zero, but after that you can start building from there.

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Oct 5, 2019 11:27AM MountainMia wrote:

Today was my first time back to the gym after surgery, chemo, and radiation. No shit, it was hard. I did about the same stuff I used to do, but with half the weight or less. That was all okay, but the big surprise was the discomfort in my right forearm, where my infusions were. :(

I figure it will be 2 or 3 weeks before I can shift up slightly in weights. But if I don't start, I won't even get that far.

The rain comes and the rain goes, but the mountain remains. I am the mountain.

Oct 23, 2019 05:35PM 2019whatayear wrote:

Woo hoo! Congrats on making it back to the gym!!!

-Victoria

I found myself reading others signatures & comparing my dx to others. I decided to delete my info off my sig, b/c I felt like I was viewing people as their dx vrs. as individuals BRCA-2-BMX 6/25 -chemo 7/24 AC/T

Nov 8, 2019 12:29AM - edited Nov 8, 2019 12:32AM by WC3

MountainMia:

Congradulations on going back to the gym!

Everyone:

Thank you for the replies! I am currently looking for a gym to join.

Dx 2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Chemotherapy 5/31/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/14/2018 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)