Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Exercise after breast reduction- your experience?

Options
2sdbc
2sdbc Member Posts: 10
edited January 2023 in Working on Your Fitness

I'm having an oncoplastic reduction in 2 days, about a week after a lumpectomy. I feel like recovery from the lumpectomy was fairly easy but I know the reduction will be a bigger surgery. I'm moving from a 38G to a C or D.

I'm curious to hear stories of similar recoveries. I have a vacation planned about 2.5 weeks post surgery. My surgeon feels like it is doable, barring any complications. I won't be super active, but resting on a beach with friends is better than being in the cold and snow. I'm overweight, but active, playing sports and walking 3-5x/week.

How did you feel 2.5 weeks past surgery? Will I be able to manage the airport? I know I won't be swimming but can I walk the beach for 30 minutes? Or should I postone this trip?

Comments

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    Options

I had my reduction in early November 2019 and traveled by plane to visit family that Thanksgivin, 2019. My reduction wasn't as extensive as yours but I don't know if that has much impact. Also, I wasn't recovering from my lumpectomy at the same time. It was in April 2019, and was followed by chemo and radiation. So again, your situation might be different.

I did fine with my recovery from the reduction surgery. I was a bit tired; it had been rather a crap year, after all. But managed to visit reasonably well with everyone, and got home in one piece.

If your surgeon thinks it's doable, and you're in decent shape overall with activity, you'll likely do fine. If you can't walk on the beach because you're just too run down, will you enjoy resting quietly, or reading, or just napping? It sounds great to me!

Good luck with your surgery and beach trip. Enjoy!

• 2sdbc
    Options

Thanks MountainMia. This really helps. I am one week out from lumpectomy and feel great, but go back under the knife tomorrow. I'm strong but worried about pushing myself too much. If it wasnt for my husband I'd be out on the courts today. He's thinking I'll need a wheelchair for the airport and I'm hoping to walk the beach. We'll see but this gives me hope that I'll be able to enjoy the sun and sand.

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    Options

It won't hurt a bit to reserve a wheelchair for the airport!! Save your energy for the fun part. Just give the chair assistant a nice tip and be glad that's an option.

• 2sdbc
    Options

A quick update. I had the surgery yesterday. Over 2000 grams in total removed. Today I am tired and sore, of course, but feel confident that if I rest up now, I'll be on that beach in 2.5 weeks.

• raymondaz
    raymondaz Member Posts: 3
    Options

I would be very cautious. I went from 32 DD to small D/C granted I also had one week of partial SAVI radiation for 5 days. At 2 to 3 week post Oncoplasty I started spitting stitches. I was advised DO Nothing don't pick up anything over 1lb . Dissolving stitches need time to heal no luggage no dragging stuff lots of protein no sugar. The spots looked like little blisters by 6 weeks healed but had to have PS cut some stitches that came thru don't carry anything

• 2sdbc
    Options

Thanks for the advice. It's hard to be so helpless but message heard loud and clear. I'll stick with doing nothing..I was told no reaching, lifting or holding more than a coffee cup. The pathology came back on what was removed and there was no additional cancer. Phew. Thankful for that.