Nov 3, 2017 02:40PM Willow22 wrote:toughcookie - isn't it wonderful to surprise people with so much hair!!!! I just had my port out, and the preop RN thought I had decided not to do chemo at all. When I said I'd already finished chemo, she wondered why I had left my port in so long (thinking I had regrown chin length hair since finishing). She was amazed and very interested (as were the radiation team) to hear about the process. I feel so lucky as I sit in the radiation waiting area, often with ladies who are just beginning to grow hair again, and I'm VERY GLAD I did it :)
Red - I used penguin cold caps, who send out a very nice "hair care" pdf. send me a PM if you'd like me to forward that to you. Some things they mention:
- use aluminum-free deodorant throughout chemo (I used Tom's baby powder scent aluminum free, but check carefully since they also make an "all natural" kind that does have aluminum in it)
- mix a small amount of the shampoo in a water bottle, and gently pour it over your head to wash. I patted a little to make sure it went everywhere, but no fingertip massage or rubbing the scalp.
- use tepid water (cooler than body temp) and very gentle water pressure to wet and rinse hair (or use a cup to gently pour over head). I hate being cold, so I used a round, flannel-lined patio table cloth and cut a slit up one radius and a small hole for the neck to make a shower cape. I use small chip clips/binder clips to close it - keeps my torso dry.
- DO NOT flip your hair upside down over your face to wash --- a number of gals with longer hair have gotten terrible tangles (some needing to be cut out!) doing this while washing (ie - don't wash your hair leaning over the bathtub with the water running from the nape of your neck down your hair).
- I use Kenra daily clarifying shampoo and then Kenra leave-in spray conditioner before combing. both are new products to me, and I like them so much I will continue even when done with all the cold cap hair care.
How long will the infusion center allow you to stay and cold cap after your chemo is complete? I think others have asked for extra time (that seems to be the one big difference between using caps on ice vs a cold cap machine).
good luck - you can do this! Willow