We are 196,347 members in 81 forums discussing 144,710 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Managing Side Effects of Breast Cancer and Its Treatment → Topic: Now diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, but I'm not convinced.

Topic: Now diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, but I'm not convinced.

Forum: Managing Side Effects of Breast Cancer and Its Treatment —

This is a place to discuss concerns, tips and strategies for all types of side effects from all types of medications and treatments, (chemo/rads/hormonal/targeted/pain meds/etc.

Posted on: Sep 7, 2011 02:29PM

thankful4life wrote:

I've been having severe joint pain and assumed it was from the Femara. I had switched PCPs, and the new PCP did lots of blood work. My rheumatoid factor was very high, so she went me to a rheumatologist. He also did blood work; again, my rheumatoid factor was very high. He did x-rays on my hands and hip.

Now he has diagnosed me with rheumatoid arthritis. I asked him if he thinks the Femara could be causing all of my joint pain, and he said that since I have such a high rheumatoid factor it can't be caused by the Femara.

The rheumatologist said he thinks the rheumatoid arthritis was caused by the trauma to my body (the cancer itself, 5 surgeries and then being hospitalized 4 times this summer). But my oncologist said she's never heard of that.

I have been on a break from the Femara for 5 days (will have a whole 6-week break - yay!!) and the joint pain has gotten less, although it is still there.

Anybody else with breast cancer also diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis? Thanks!

Sherry - Age 48 at diagnosis; ILC, IDC, Paget's, Lumpectomy on 11/18/2009 w/out clear margins, BMX w/free-TRAM reconstr.01/05/10; hyster/ooph 03/29/2010; Femara Dx 10/28/2009, ILC, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 2 of 2 (31 results)

Posts 31 (31 total)

Nov 14, 2017 08:39AM dtad wrote:

TimlinThe....so sorry you are suffering. Are you taking an anti hormone?

Dx 3/20/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/10/2015, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/21/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Page 2 of 2 (31 results)