We are 220,518 members in 81 forums discussing 155,810 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Bioidentical Progesterone helps sleep, hair & lower risks cancer

Forum: Managing Side Effects of Breast Cancer and Its Treatment —

This is a place to discuss concerns, tips and strategies for all types of side effects from all types of medications and treatments, (chemo/rads/hormonal/targeted/pain meds/etc.

Posted on: Nov 2, 2018 11:05PM

macb04 wrote:

Lots of people have the wrong idea, that ER/PR positive means that both estrogen and progesterone are cancer causing molecules. If that were true then puberty would cause us ALL rampant breast/uterine and ovarian c. Not true at all. I had exposure to ARTIFICIAL progestins in the birth control I used, like so very many of us.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is another good article. They have stigmatized Progesterone unfarely, when in reality it was the ARTIFICIAL Progestins that were altered for PROFIT, that are the cancer causing molecules. Researchers were often sloppy, siting Progesterone, when they were actually talking about ARTIFICIAL progestins.

Progesterone has so many positive roles in our health, I have looked up some links to supporting research.

1. Maintains the Uterine lining, reducing risks of Endometrial cancer. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13697137.2018.1472567
  2. Has a benign effect on Breast Cells, inhibiting Breast Cell Overgrowth https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22432812
  3. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29962257
  4. Decreases Hot Flashes and Night Sweats https://www.endocrine.org/news-room/2018/oral-micronized-progesterone-may-decrease-perimenopausal-hot-flashes-night-sweats
  5. Increasing metabolism and promoting weight losshttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4245250/
  6. Balancing blood sugar levels
  7. Acting as a natural diuretic
  8. Normalizing blood clotting
  9. Stimulating the production of new bone https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22432813
  10. Promoting normal Sleep patterns https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/96/4/E614/2720877
  11. Enhancing the action of thyroid hormones
  12. Alleviating depression and reducing anxiety https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29322164
  13. Improving Libido
  14. Preventing cyclical migraine
  15. restoring proper cell oxygen levels
  16. Decreasing Female Pattern Hair Loss https://ndnr.com/womens-health/treating-female-pattern-hair-loss/
HEALTH NEWS

Fact Checked

Study Suggests Progestin, Not Estrogen, Is the Real Cancer Culprit in Hormone Replacement Therapy

Written by Ann Pietrangelo on April 26, 2015

Hormone therapy that includes progestin plus estrogen may increase breast cancer risk, but estrogen alone may lower risk, according to long-term review.

A long-term review of two clinical trials has shed new light on menopausal hormone therapy and breast cancer risk over time.

In earlier clinical trials, combination hormone replacement therapy (HRT) consisting of progestin plus estrogen was linked to an increased risk of breast cancer and death from that disease.

Women who had a hysterectomy and took estrogen alone were found to have a reduced risk of breast cancer and breast cancer death.

Following those reports, use of both types of HRT declined.

Thirteen years later, researchers set out to determine both the short-term and long-term effects of HRT.

hormones

One analysis involved 16,608 women who had not had a hysterectomy. The women were assigned to receive estrogen plus progestin. Results showed this group was at increased risk of breast cancer while taking combination HRT. Within 2.75 years after stopping therapy, the risk was still present but not as high.

Another group of 10,739 women who previously had a hysterectomy were asked to take estrogen alone. This group had a reduced risk of breast cancer while receiving estrogen therapy. That lower risk continued for a few years after therapy ended. The benefit was lost after that.

The study authors concluded there is a "greater adverse influence for estrogen and progestin use and somewhat greater benefit for use of estrogen alone."

The research team was led by Rowan T. Chlebowski, M.D., Ph.D., of the Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. Details were published in JAMA Oncology.

This research focused on breast cancer risk and did not involve other potential risks of HRT.

Page 2 of 2 (57 results)

Posts 31 - 57 (57 total)

Apr 5, 2019 06:48AM DebAL wrote:

morning rah, this was a new dr to me but shes been around for years. Fully devoted to post menopausal women. She suggested progest topical cream. She spent a full hour with me but brain fog set in near the end. I just cant help to think I could feel better with basically no greater risk. Still thinking about it but leaning that way. Thanks for your reply. Have a great day!

Dx 1/22/2018, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 2/11/2018 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 2/12/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 4/2/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 6/13/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 8/8/2018 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 12/19/2018 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Surgery

Apr 5, 2019 08:20AM dtad wrote:

Hi DebAl...I was wondering where you live?

Dx 3/20/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/10/2015, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/21/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Apr 5, 2019 08:25AM DebAL wrote:

ohio. You have no idea how many PMs asking if I'm from alabama!

Dx 1/22/2018, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 2/11/2018 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 2/12/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 4/2/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 6/13/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 8/8/2018 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 12/19/2018 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Surgery

Apr 5, 2019 07:24PM AliceBastable wrote:

I'll stick with Harvard.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/womens-health/bioidentical-hormones-help-or-hype

Endometrial cancer 2010, basal cell multiples, breast cancer 2018, kidney cancer 2018. Cancer's a bitch, but I'm a bigger one with more practice. Dx 5/2018, ILC/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/11/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 8/8/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Apr 6, 2019 09:38AM dtad wrote:

AliceBastable...couldnt download the link. Can you ry again? Thanks so much.

Dx 3/20/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/10/2015, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/21/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Apr 6, 2019 04:18PM MelissaDallas wrote:

All you had ro do was copy and paste if the link wasn’t “clickable”

https://www.health.harvard.edu/womens-health/bioidentical-hormones-help-or-hype

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Apr 7, 2019 07:31AM dtad wrote:

Thanks !

Apr 23, 2019 03:19PM Misstic wrote:

Hi ladies,

Reading you about bioidentical progesterone, I wanted to add maybe an interesting information for women with ER+/PR+ breast cancer: there is an old drug, used in the 80's for metastatic hormonal breast cancer called Megace containing a type of progesterone. This drug has an anti testosterone effect which is good about aromatasing it to estrogen. MO gave me 40 mg a day of this because I had horrible hot flashes caused by Taxol then Tamoxifen (every 30 minutes). I was very near to the nervous break down because of this debilitating condition and any other drugs were effective for me (including anti depressant and Gabapentine). This drug was a miracle regarding my hot flashes. The side effects are:

- abundant thick hair (not bad at all after hair thinning due to Tamoxifen!)

- weight gain (I did diet all the time).

The dose of 20 mg seems to be effective too.

Dx 6/26/2014, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/15/2014 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left) Chemotherapy 8/23/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 3/7/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 2/4/2016 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting Dx 1/5/2018, IDC, Left, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 2/4/2018 Gemzar (gemcitabine), Navelbine (vinorelbine) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 1/10/2020 Faslodex (fulvestrant)

May 14, 2019 06:11PM macb04 wrote:

MelissaDallas, when I say Bioidentical Progesterone, I mean a molecule that is identical to what our bodies produced when we are menstruating women. NOT a Progestin.

Many people confuse the dangerous side effects of the artificial progestins ( which showed a marked increase in breast cancer for women who had HRT) with that of Progesterone. Not the same thing at all. Mainstream medicine in the US only used artificial progestins, NOT Progesterone for women who took HRT. Artificial progestins like Provera increase risks of cancer because they have xenoestrogen-like effects.

A dangerous misconception.

Progesterone can be specially compounded by a Compounding Pharmacist, or it can be made in a factory like Prometrium. Both types are Progesterone molecules that are Safe, Effective and have many benefits like decreased hot flashes, improved bone health and better quality sleep.

May 14, 2019 07:35PM MelissaDallas wrote:

Macb04, I know exactly what you are talking about. No need to explain.

Bioidentical hormones: Help or hype? Do these heavily promoted hormones justify the claims made for them?

Updated: May 1, 2018Published: September, 2011

"Bioidentical" hormones have been promoted as safer and more effective than FDA-approved hormones. The exaggerated claims go beyond relief of menopausal symptoms, suggesting they are a veritable fountain of youth.

It's understandable that women would be interested in a different approach now that long-term use of conventional hormone therapy (HT) does not prevent cardiovascular disease as researchers had hoped.

Most clinicians now counsel midlife women differently than they once did. Instead of urging women to weigh the risks and benefits of long-term HT for health, most now suggest HT only for short-term symptom relief. But many women want more from HT, and some look to bioidenticals.

What are bioidentical hormones?

The term "bioidentical" doesn't have a precise medical definition. The Endocrine Society defines bioidentical hormones as "compounds that have exactly the same chemical and molecular structure as hormones that are produced in the human body." Clinicians usually use the word to describe preparations containing either progesterone or one or more of three estrogens — estradiol (the predominant estrogen in premenopausal women), estrone, and estriol (the main estrogen produced during pregnancy).

Evaluating the claims for bioidenticals

Here are some of the claims made about bioidenticals:

Claim: Bioidentical hormones are not drugs because they are molecular copies of the hormones made by women's bodies.

Evidence: The FDA defines drugs as "articles (other than food) that are intended to affect the structure or any function of the body." If bioidentical hormones are designed to relieve menopausal symptoms or have other body changing properties — such as relieve hot flashes or improve the skin — their effects on the body's structure or function are undeniable. Therefore they are drugs.

Claim: Drug companies don't invest in bioidentical hormones because they can't make money from them; you can't patent natural substances.

Evidence: This is at best a half-truth. A drug company can't patent a naturally occurring hormone, but it can patent a process needed to render it absorbable as a drug. Several large drug companies have done just that (or have licensed process patents) and sell FDA-approved bioidenticals.

To bring a drug to market, drug companies invest millions of dollars in research and development, including the randomized clinical trials testing its safety and effectiveness that are required for FDA approval. A drug company must also keep tabs on a drug after it's in use, reporting side effects and monitoring quality.

Claim: Bioidenticals are safer than synthetic hormones.

Evidence: Understandably some women look for a safer alternative for symptom relief. Premarin is synthesized from the urine of pregnant mares and contains a mix of estrogens (some unique to horses), steroids, and various other substances. Might some unidentified molecule be responsible for the health risks? To many, the claim that bioidentical hormones are safer because they have the same chemical structure as those produced by our own bodies would seem plausible.

Yet there's no good evidence to support this claim. Although bioidentical progesterone and the bioidentical estrogen estradiol have been approved, they haven't been studied in large, long-term trials. They're FDA-approved because they've been shown in trials to relieve menopausal symptoms and reduce the risk of osteoporosis. These claims are allowed on their packaging. And similar to other FDA approved estrogens and progestogens, these bioidenticals also carry black box warnings. Hormones from compounding pharmacies, which aren't FDA-approved, don't come with package inserts bearing the black box warning, giving the illusion of being safer than commercially marketed drugs. But the lack of a warning doesn't mean they're safer, only that compounding pharmacies aren't required to detail potential risks. To date, hormones from compounding pharmacies haven't been tested in clinical trials. Until then, the risks associated with them cannot be fully known. Finally, while compounding pharmacies are regulated by state pharmacy boards, they're not required — as manufacturers of approved drugs are — to report on side effects or other adverse outcomes from their products.

There actually may not be much difference between an FDA-approved bioidentical and the custom-compounded version. Both are made from the same hormones and manufactured according to the requirements of the United States Pharmacopeia (a nongovernmental authority that sets standards for prescription and over-the-counter drugs). At a compounding pharmacy, hormones are placed in a capsule, gel, cream, suppository, or other vehicle. A pharmaceutical company follows the same procedure, but it must use a standard dose in a specific vehicle because the two have been tested and approved as a unit. In this respect, an FDA-approved bioidentical may be more reliable.

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

May 14, 2019 07:57PM wintersocks wrote:

There is some further info here on from the UK. I see they can be bought online but as some has pointed out here no good if you are pr- as I am too. I wonder if they might help with thinning hair due to Letrozole.

https://thebms.org.uk/publications/consensus-statements/bioidentical-hrt/

Dx 2/20/2012, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/23/2012 Doxil (doxorubicin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 8/29/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 9/10/2012 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 9/16/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes

May 15, 2019 10:32PM macb04 wrote:

The problems with that Bioidentical Progesterone, Help or Hype article is that it makes women nervous to even consider Progesterone. It's not a magic panacea, no one with any sense says that. It has concrete benefits that are easy to see.

I had thinning hair after doing tamoxifen, worried I might go completely bare in the front. Embarrased me, and added to all the other blows to my self esteem, made me frankly miserable. I have to say that since I have been on the Progesterone, my hair is no longer sparse up front.

It has markedly improved my sleep, no doubt about it. I fall asleep quicker, and am again sleeping through the night. I am even well rested enough to usually wake up before my alarm. No more staring at the ceiling, waiting for morning. That alone is worth its weight in gold to me.

I have read about the improvement in bone health, but haven't measured that, so I don't know if that has occurred.

Overall, I am really glad with the things I noted regarding hair growth and improved quality of sleep, and wanted to make sure other women know about their true options. I read the boards here and know these are very important concerns for so many woman, that are only poorly addressed, if at all by their providers.

May 15, 2019 11:06PM MelissaDallas wrote:

I used it years ago for early menopause symptoms. It probably fueled my ovarian cancer

May 16, 2019 09:02PM macb04 wrote:

Why would you say that? Sorry for your situation, but you don't know that's true.

Progesterone is the natural counterbalance to the growth properties of Estrogen. Otherwise we would have large numbers of women having hormonal fueled cancers in the years after puberty, which we do not.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC239900/

May 16, 2019 09:20PM MelissaDallas wrote:

I had very low estrogen at the time. I understand how hormones work

May 17, 2019 10:08AM macb04 wrote:

So you were on some form of HRT? Had you taken birth control earlier in life? Did you have earlier or later life pregnancies? All of those thing will impact risk for ovarian cancer, as I am sure you are aware.

Take home message still the same. Progesterone,, not artificial progestins, is great for your health.

May 17, 2019 10:59AM MelissaDallas wrote:

No, I was not on HRT. I told you I tried the biodentical progesterone cream years ago.You don't know that it did not contribute to my cancer. Actually, birth control pills LOWER the risk of ovarian cancer.

May 18, 2019 08:53AM dtad wrote:

Hi everyone...I've been saying for years on this forum that there should be an endocrinologist on the BC team. I think this thread proves my point! MOs know very little about female hormones yet they are the ones prescribing these powerful drugs. We need to find docs who can help us with this subject. Good luck to all navigating this complicated disease.

May 18, 2019 09:04AM MelissaDallas wrote:

IMHO,I wasn’t aware that MOs OR endocrinologists were prescribing bio identical progesterone. Most likely they are not.

May 18, 2019 01:01PM macb04 wrote:

Lots of providers prescribe Bioidentical Progesterone. I get mine from my OB/GYN. I know of score of other MD's in my community who also prescribe Bioidentical Progesterone. Perhaps different where you are from

May 19, 2019 09:14AM dtad wrote:

MelissaDallas...You totally missed my point. All I'm saying is there should be someone on our BC team who is knowledgeable about female hormones. MOs prescribe these powerful anti hormones with very little awareness on how they affect us and what can be done about it.

May 19, 2019 03:23PM MelissaDallas wrote:

I disagree that they don’t know how the antihormonals affect us. My opinion

May 20, 2019 07:38AM - edited May 20, 2019 07:40AM by dtad

Of course you have a right to your opinion. However female hormones are not the focus of MOs education. IMO we need someone who has more formal education on how anti hormone therapy affects our bodies and what to do about it .Maybe your MO is knowledgeable on the subject but if you read these threads many others are not. I would much rather be treated by an endocrinologist who is an expert on the subject. All I'm saying is they would be a great addition to the BC team. Good luck to all navigating this complicated disease.

May 21, 2019 01:27AM macb04 wrote:

I agree with dtad, more knowledge is always useful. I think if you asked most MOs for an in depth explanation of the scores of side effects that are associated with tamoxifen and AIs, they would be only be able to give a very surface type of answer . I know their education doesn't cover very much of the intricate balance of normal hormones, let alone the outcomes when that is disrupted.

I just wanted to remind everyone of the research showing the benefits of Progesterone, which is why I started this thread in the first place.

1. Maintains the Uterine lining, reducing risks of Endometrial cancer. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13697137.2018.1472567
  2. Has a benign effect on Breast Cells, inhibiting Breast Cell Overgrowth https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22432812
  3. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29962257
  4. Decreases Hot Flashes and Night Sweats https://www.endocrine.org/news-room/2018/oral-micronized-progesterone-may-decrease-perimenopausal-hot-flashes-night-sweats
  5. Increasing metabolism and promoting weight losshttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4245250/
  6. Balancing blood sugar levels
  7. Acting as a natural diuretic
  8. Normalizing blood clotting
  9. Stimulating the production of new bone https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22432813
  10. Promoting normal Sleep patterns https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/96/4/E614/2720877
  11. Enhancing the action of thyroid hormones
  12. Alleviating depression and reducing anxiety https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29322164
  13. Improving Libido
  14. Preventing cyclical migraine
  15. restoring proper cell oxygen levels
  16. Decreasing Female Pattern Hair Loss https://ndnr.com/womens-health/treating-female-pattern-hair-loss/

May 21, 2019 08:08AM dtad wrote:

macb04...thanks for the info.!

May 24, 2019 12:24AM macb04 wrote:

Saw this nicely written Abstract on Progesterone. Here it is:

Oral micronized progesterone.

de Lignières B1.

Author information Abstract

This review sought to examine the rationale for selecting an oral micronized progesterone formulation rather than a synthetic progestin for some of the main indications for progestogens. Unopposed estrogen use is associated with a high risk (relative risk, 2.1 to 5.7) of endometrial hyperplasia and adenocarcinoma, and it has been understood for some time that a progestogen must be added for at least 10 to 14 days per month to prevent these effects. However, the most commonly used synthetic progestins, norethisterone and medroxyprogesterone acetate, have been associated with metabolic and vascular side effects (eg, suppression of the vasodilating effect of estrogens) in both experimental and human controlled studies. All comparative studies to date conclude that the side effects of synthetic progestins can be minimized or eliminated through the use of natural progesterone, which is identical to the steroid produced by the corpus luteum. The inconvenience associated with the use of injectable, rectal, or vaginal formulations of natural progesterone can be circumvented by using orally administered micronized progesterone. The bioavailability of micronized progesterone is similar to that of other natural steroids, and interindividual and intraindividual variability of area under the curve is similar to that seen with synthetic progestins. A clear dose-ranging effect has been demonstrated, and long-term protection of the endometrium has been established. Micronized progesterone has been used widely in Europe since 1980 at dosages ranging from 300 mg/d (taken at bedtime) 10 days a month for women wishing regular monthly bleeding to 200 mg 14 days a month or 100 mg 25 days a month for women willing to remain amenorrheic. This therapy is well tolerated, with the only specific side effect being mild and transient drowsiness, an effect minimized by taking the drug at bedtime. The prospective, comparative Postmenopausal Estrogens/Progestin Intervention trial has recommended oral micronized progesterone as the first choice for opposing estrogen therapy in nonhysterectomized postmenopausal women.

PMID:
DOI:
10.1016/S0149-2918(00)88267-3

Jun 11, 2019 11:18AM macb04 wrote:

Thank God for the Bioidentical Progesterone I take every night. I know I wouldn't be sleeping as soundly, for sure, without it.

Page 2 of 2 (57 results)