Join Us

We are 216,686 members in 84 forums discussing 160,147 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Hematoma

Forum: Managing Side Effects of Breast Cancer and Its Treatment —

This is a place to discuss concerns, tips and strategies for all types of side effects from all types of medications and treatments, (chemo/rads/hormonal/targeted/pain meds/etc.

Posted on: Oct 27, 2019 09:38AM

Trish50 wrote:

I read using heat compresses helps to reabsorb the blood from the hematoma. My surgeon said use ice. Now I don't know.

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)

Posts 1 - 11 (11 total)

Oct 27, 2019 09:52AM MelissaDallas wrote:

https://edith.sanfordhealth.org/-/media/edith/files/education/011004-00221-brochure-breast-hematoma-3_7x8_5.pdf

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Oct 27, 2019 09:56AM - edited Oct 27, 2019 09:57AM by SUPer52

Hi Trish50, I also had a hematoma after surgery. Ice was suggested immediately following the surgery, but after the initial swelling and inflammation went down, I was then advised by my surgeon to use warm compresses for about 15 minutes a few times a day to help the hematoma dissolve. I think I was about two weeks out from surgery before I was advised to try the warm compresses. Hopefully some others will chime in with their experiences also. Good luck!

Edited to add: That's a great resource that MelissaDallas posted! Wish I had had that after my surgery!

"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, compassion, some humor, and some style." -Maya Angelou Dx 1/15/2019, DCIS/IDC, Right, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 1/23/2019 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 2/25/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/7/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 5/10/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 27, 2019 10:45AM Trish50 wrote:

Thanks you for the link Melissa. Now I understand why he said ice. My hematoma is quite large. And when I go tomorrow for additional surgery he said he would evacuate it instead of waiting for it to reabsorb on it's own. Since it's so large it would take a long time and would delay my radiation treatments. Thanks again đź’•

Oct 27, 2019 10:52AM Trish50 wrote:

Thanks so much for replying. You confirmed what Melissa's link said on hematomas. Tomorrow it will be taken care of when my surgeon goes back in to make clearer margins from first surgery, and he will evacuate the hematoma đź’•

Oct 27, 2019 10:53AM MelissaDallas wrote:

Usually for anything the recommendation is ice for the first 24 hours or so, then heat. Glad they are doing the evacuation for you

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Oct 27, 2019 10:56AM - edited Oct 27, 2019 10:56AM by Trish50

This Post was deleted by Trish50.

Oct 27, 2019 11:01AM Trish50 wrote:

Actually my surgeon didn't see it till 10 days after surgery when I went in for my post surgery exam. I will continue to ice it. And hope by after surgery tomorrow it will be gone.

Oct 27, 2019 11:06AM SUPer52 wrote:

Trish50, Your situation sounds almost identical to mine. I also had it evacuated when I had my re-excision for clear margins. I did develop another smaller one with the second surgery along with a seroma, but I had two different areas of cancer that were treated as one larger area which is probably why I developed the seroma. The hematoma gradually went away and the seroma is still there but slowly decreasing in size. My radiation oncologist and surgeon consulted and determined there was no need to delay radiation, so the rest of my treatment plan continued as scheduled. Sometimes things take a little longer to resolve, but rest assured they almost always do resolve eventually. Best wishes for a successful surgery tomorrow with clear margins! Hugs!

"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, compassion, some humor, and some style." -Maya Angelou Dx 1/15/2019, DCIS/IDC, Right, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 1/23/2019 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 2/25/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/7/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 5/10/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 27, 2019 11:39AM smackan wrote:

Had anyone ever had a hematoma persist for a long time? I have 2 but one is quite large and hasn’t changed much in size since my surgery on July 31st. The PS said to massage it daily so it doesn’t calcify but that didn’t help and it’s now hard as a rock and about the size of a small banana. I am fearful that surgery is my only option but didn’t know if if would ever go away on its own. I am tired of wearing a sports bra but that is the only wear it isn’t uncomfortable.

Chek2 Mutation. Onctotype=15 Dx 5/21/2019, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 7/30/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 9/19/2019 Whole-breast Hormonal Therapy 10/27/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Oct 27, 2019 12:08PM wrenn wrote:

I had a very large hematoma (18cm x 13cm x 3cm) that was seen on a CT scan the day after my surgery. The home care nurse kept telling my surgeon that it had to be seen to or it would get infected but the surgeon kept ignoring her. 5 weeks later I was in emerg with a fever and my incision looking red and the incision suddenly started gushing blood. The hematoma had developed an infection and created a tunnel to the weak spot in my healed incision and burst through. I had to have the tunnel stuffed with gauze and medication to dry it up. It took over 2 months to heal and delayed chemo.

So I advise people to have them attended to and am relieved on your behalf that your surgeon is taking care of it. Mine left me in rough shape so I didn't tolerate the first dose of chemo and was cut off.

Metaplastic IDC Triple negative...Tumour is 1.5cm. BMX Aug. 16th. Chemo cancelled after one dose due to complications. Dx 7/25/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/16/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Oct 27, 2019 01:48PM gb2115 wrote:

I had a very large hematoma and it didn't delay radiation. Good thing too because it didn't really dissolve until a few months later. They tried to drain it during surgery but it had already thickened too much. The hematoma was caused by an additional biopsy a few days before my lumpectomy. It all worked out ok in the end.

Dx IDC in October 2016, stage 2A, 1.2 cm ER/PR+ Her2-, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes. Mammaprint low risk luminal A, Lumpectomy + radiation + tamoxifen. Age 38 at diagnosis.

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)