We are 228,650 members in 84 forums discussing 159,786 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Weight

Forum: Managing Side Effects of Breast Cancer and Its Treatment —

This is a place to discuss concerns, tips and strategies for all types of side effects from all types of medications and treatments, (chemo/rads/hormonal/targeted/pain meds/etc.

Posted on: May 22, 2020 08:11AM

jenni0102 wrote:

Since being diagnosed last year I have gained about 25 lbs. I think due to Tamoxifen, stopping vaping and just the stress and depression of all of this caused that. My question is - has anyone had any luck with anything other than diet and exercise for weight loss. Since the beginning of the year, I started sticking to a 1200 calorie a day diet, no sugar and I speed walk about 2.5 miles 4-5 times a week and the number on the scale is not moving and I am getting so frustrated. This cannot just be the way it is now! Anyone have any other ideas? I would hate to see where my weight would be if I had not started the diet and exercise routine! Ugh!

Dx 5/29/2019, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/25/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 8/5/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 10/9/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

May 22, 2020 12:44PM toria1212 wrote:

Hi jenni0102,

Due to Covid19, I started on Anastrozole before my surgery, several weeks ago. I have already gained several pounds. I cried, in fact, this a.m., as I decided to try and purge my closet of things that don't fit. Most of my clothes do not, as I have a lingering hip issue from tennis that was going to be addressed in April but the virus and breast cancer surgery in May took precedence. So I can't even exercise....I read that these meds are not kind to the weight issue, but low, low carb certainly will not hurt. I am already feeling like I can't do five years of this-I'll weigh 300 lbs! And it simply affects the desire to move(even though I am limited). I just wanna curl up in a ball(and bawl).

I am sure seasoned members will have positive suggestions and input for you. I'm with you, girl! Hoping your weekend is blessed. xx

Dx 3/19/2020, IDC, Right, <1cm, Grade 1, ER+, HER2-

May 22, 2020 01:14PM WC3 wrote:

jennie0102:

I don't have any conclusive answers for you but maybe you will find something in my experiences.

When I was overweight years ago, I originally started on a 900 calorie per day diet but did not see any weight loss, so I calculated my BMR, found it was 1200 calories per day, and raised my caloric intake accordingly and the weight started to come off. I think the 900 calories per day pushed me in to a zone where my metabolic rate dropped to counter what my body perceived as starvation, though I imagine had I lowered my caloric intake even more, I eventually would have overcome it.

Years later, I started to see my weight creep back up despite lowering my caloric intake and regular exercise and I discovered it was due to hypothyroidism and was probably not fat but fluid retention and non fatty tissue. I lost the weight within a few months of starting treatment.

During chemotherapy I could not keep weight on despite stopping my thyroid medication entirely. I could not eat for the three days surrounding my infusion and could only eat very little in the few days after but tried to compensate on my good days. Convention says calories of fat and calories of carbs are both calories in the end but during chemotherapy I could eat plenty of bread but could not tolerate fatty foods, and even though my regular diet tends to be relatively low fat, I think my body hangs on to whatever fat it can and that I dropped so much weight during chemotherapy because of the fasting coupled with my inability to consume enough fat, regardless of how many calories in carbs I ate. It was enlightening because I had always thought that carbs were my enemy, when it turns out that my body was taking that teaspoon of margerine on my toast and saying "I'll just save this forever."

Dx 2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Chemotherapy 5/31/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/14/2018 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)