Join Us

We are 222,244 members in 83 forums discussing 162,404 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: 4 yrs later and still dealing with Lymphoma in breast

Forum: Managing Side Effects of Breast Cancer and Its Treatment —

This is a place to discuss concerns, tips and strategies for all types of side effects from all types of medications and treatments, (chemo/rads/hormonal/targeted/pain meds/etc.

Posted on: May 10, 2021 12:04AM

RobinLT wrote:

HI everyone, it’s been a few years since I was on here. That’s a good thing... means life is chugging along. I am probably healthier than I’ve been in years. I went Keto a year ago, lost 50 lbs, use a rowing machine daily (keeps me flexible and strong). So, here’s the deal. I had a large lymphoma after surgery. I don’t think of it often, but it is a harbinger of barometric change. Will swell and be sore before storms, etc. (Like my grannie’s knees.) But I recently spent a week in the Rockies and New Mexico. The darn lymphoma has come back with a vengeance and is painful, swollen and hard. Even after I’ve been home for ten days. I use ice on it, which helps. In the past, right after surgery, I had it drained several times, got quick relief, but it always filled back up. I’m not even sure which doc I would see for this. I no longer take meds, so don’t see my oncologist (who was basically my pill guy... not my boob guy.)

Any suggestions?

Dx 3/8/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/26/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

May 10, 2021 12:14AM jhl wrote:

Hi Robin,

I'm a bit confused. Lymphoma is a hematologic malignancy. Are you speaking about a seroma, which is a collection of fluid?

Dx 11/15/2019, IDC: Cribriform, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH)

May 10, 2021 12:19AM RobinLT wrote:

Perhaps, I’m calling it the wrong thing. I thought my surgeon called it a lymphoma, but maybe it was seroma. It’s a pocket in my breast that never closed. It’s triggered and fills up with big weather changes, and now altitude changes. Is there a way to deal with a seroma that has hung on this long

Dx 3/8/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/26/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

May 10, 2021 10:05AM ShetlandPony wrote:

Perhaps your doctor said Lymphedema?

2011 Stage I ILC 1.5cm grade1 ITCs sn Lumpectomy,radiation,tamoxifen. 2014 Stage IV ILC mets breast,liver. TaxolNEAD. Ibrance+letrozole 2yrs. Fas+afinitor nope. XelodaNEAD 2yrs. Eribulin,Doxil nope. SUMMIT FaslodexHerceptinNeratinib for Her2mut NEAD

May 10, 2021 12:23PM RobinLT wrote:

I just need to call my surgeon and find out what it was that she drained. Reading/researching leads me to think it was a seroma. (I’ll be back.:0

May 10, 2021 01:12PM choochoobella wrote:

RobinLT, I think you may be talking about a hematoma. For about 8 hours after my bilateral mastectomy surgery, I had violent vomiting in the hospital, a negative reaction to the anesthesia. That vomiting broke blood vessels that had been sutured in both breasts and I had problems with hematomas for about 6 months after surgery.

I had one hematoma drained twice and the other drained three times by my breast cancer surgeon. My surgeon would make an incision in the largest part of the hematoma in each breast and insert a tube into that area. Immediately, blood and fluid would pour out of the tube into a pan at the other end of the tube. She would massage the hematoma until no more fluid came out.

One breast had a hematoma so large it was bigger than a D cup. That was the third time my surgeon drained it. When I went home, it still felt large. Read the next part only if you like Dr. Pimple Popper type videos. My surgeon instructed me to take a long, hot shower and massage that boob stump when I got home. I did as instructed. After a few minutes, blood clots started shooting out of the small incision. It was like being a Fembot in the Austin Powers movies. I was shooting clots out in any desired direction. I was shocked at how many there were. It took about 30 minutes until no more came out and the stump was nearly flat. That hematoma was gone forever. RobinLT, it sounds like you may have something similar remaining in your breast. I would think you would need to see a breast cancer surgeon to hopefully get the hematoma fully drained for good. Good on you for all of the positive lifestyle changes!

Papillary thyroid cancer, stage IVa, surgery November 2009 Dx 12/7/2012, ILC, Both breasts, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/21/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 2/25/2013 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 3/14/2013 Femara (letrozole)

May 10, 2021 01:57PM RobinLT wrote:

Choochoobella, YES! HEMATOMA! That was the word! And your experience sounds similar to mine (2 drainings) before radiation, then I had to stop. The warm shower experience sounds EXTREMELY satisfying! Freaky but satisfying. (Yes, I love Dr Pimple Popper.)

Thanks, I need to go back to my BC surgeon and get something done. Even when it’s not full and swollen, it’s a hard-ish lump and sore.

May 10, 2021 03:13PM RobinLT wrote:

Well good grief, just spoke to the surgeon, said she drained me for a seroma, but thatthis sounds more like a hematoma. Getting an ultrasound soon...

May 10, 2021 03:25PM choochoobella wrote:

RobinLT,

Since your post, I've read all about hematomas and seromas and they manifest in similar ways. It sounds like the seroma you have remains problematic. If they can't get it to resolve with drainage/antibiotics, I read that they can do a small surgical procedure to remove the seroma for good. I'm so sorry you've been dealing with this complication for so long. :(

Choochoobella

Papillary thyroid cancer, stage IVa, surgery November 2009 Dx 12/7/2012, ILC, Both breasts, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/21/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 2/25/2013 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 3/14/2013 Femara (letrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)