We are 159,264 members in 80 forums discussing 125,870 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Waiting for Test Results → Topic: pain in breast with microcalcifications?

Topic: pain in breast with microcalcifications?

Forum: Waiting for Test Results —

For members not diagnosed with breast cancer, but waiting for test results:  Biopsy, mammogram, ultrasound, or other screening tests. Waiting is VERY difficult but remember...

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength." -- Corrie Ten Boom

Posted on: May 20, 2010 10:10AM

ebarb wrote:

Is this normal?  Or could it be unrelated since I am due for my period?  But it hurts and it is making me nervous.

My core biopsy is for Tues 5/25

IDC, 5/26/2010 Dx 5/26/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 3/16 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

May 20, 2010 10:21AM , edited May 20, 2010 10:27AM by leaf

This Post was deleted by leaf.
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them- Isaac Asimov Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR- Hormonal Therapy 07/15/2006 Tamoxifen in pill form (brand names: Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone, class: selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM))

May 20, 2010 10:24AM , edited May 20, 2010 10:29AM by leaf

The majority of breast cancers do not cause pain (as the initial symptom).  But for some women, breast pain was a symptom, and for some breast pain was their first symptom.

About 10 percent of women have moderate to severe breast pain more than five days a month. In some cases, severe breast pain lasts throughout the menstrual cycles...Breast pain alone rarely signifies breast cancer.  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/breast-pain/DS00760

In this very old study (1980) of mastectomy breast cancer patients describing their initial symptom (remember, this was before lumpectomies became an option for some early breast cancers).   An unexpected finding was that pain was the first symptom noted by 13 percent of the women. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7454159

As some people say, breast cancer does not read books (it can present in a variety of ways).

Fingers crossed for you for Boringly Benign!  Let us know how it goes, OK?

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them- Isaac Asimov Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR- Hormonal Therapy 07/15/2006 Tamoxifen in pill form (brand names: Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone, class: selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM))

May 20, 2010 10:28AM ebarb wrote:

I will let you know, thanks for wanting to know :)  This site is full of friendly, helpful people.

I'm sure this pain is my cycle, but of course I jump to conclusions that it is something more.

IDC, 5/26/2010 Dx 5/26/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 3/16 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

May 20, 2010 10:31AM leaf wrote:

It can be very challenging not to go to the worst - case scenario.  We all want to be prepared for whatever is ahead for us.  Some people feel distraction helps.  Feel free to ask questions or vent.

May 20, 2010 10:33AM CrunchyPoodleMama wrote:

What leaf said! Many women have breast pain during the second half of their cycle... that pain is due to the progesterone in your system, NOT microcalcifications or cancer. (I would bet that in those 13% of women who said pain was their first system, that pain was probably unrelated but, thankfully, prompted them to get checked for breast cancer... still probably unrelated.)

Hang in there; the waiting for the biopsy and results are the worst part, but that will all be over soon... pulling for "benign" for you!

Julia ~ Dear friends, do what you can to help your body fight/prevent cancer. 1. Supplement with iodine and vitamin D. 2. STOP taking hormonal birth control/HRT. 3. Eat organic real food, not chemical or fake food. Dx 11/13/2009, DCIS, 4cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+

May 20, 2010 10:36AM ebarb wrote:

I noticed in your tagline that your DCIS was 4cm?  Can they tell that at the mammogram?  I wonder how big my calcs are.

May 20, 2010 10:43AM leaf wrote:

I assume you are having a mammo-guided core biopsy.  If you are, you can ask to see your mammos when you have the biopsy, and have him/her point out the problem area. 

Calcifications do NOT necessarily correspond to the lesion.  Here's a great site about calcifications. It may be more than you ever wanted to know! www.radiologyassistant.nl/en/4...