We are 155,733 members in 80 forums discussing 123,350 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Waiting for Test Results → Topic: Swollen lymph nodes in armpit

Topic: Swollen lymph nodes in armpit

Forum: Waiting for Test Results —

For members not diagnosed with breast cancer, but waiting for test results:  Biopsy, mammogram, ultrasound, or other screening tests. Waiting is VERY difficult but remember...

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength." -- Corrie Ten Boom

Posted on: Jun 22, 2013 09:50PM

Sinfullyd wrote:

Also posted this in another section but hopefully doubling up will get me an answer quicker.

Ok I cant seem to find an answer to this on Dr.Google so can anyone help? I have been referred to breast clinic for my right breast. Today I have been getting similar but much less painful plains in my left breast but my main worry is I have found a small lump under my armpit on my left arm (opposite side to breast in question). does this underarm lump mean problems with my other breast now or could it still be related to my right breast?
I really hope that all made sense lol.

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Jun 22, 2013 10:14PM NancyHB wrote:

I'm not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV!) but I would expect that a lump in your left armpit would be related to something happening on your left side, not the right.  Then again, lymph nodes will swell due to infection - anywhere in the body.  I had inflammed lymph nodes in my groin years ago because of a systemic infection, not because there was any problem in my groin (those little guys were doing their work and "catching" the infection!!)

I've read your posts but can't remember all the details (sorry!).  Is it possible this pain is cycle-related?  Given that you're now having pain in both breasts, it makes me wonder.

It's so hard to live with a body that keeps throwing mysterious symptoms at us.  I can tell you that until my doctor actually told me I had cancer, I never would have guessed - I had no pain, felt terrific, had a small lump but I was pretty sure it was a cyst.  After diagnosis every little pain, twitch or pull freaked me out and I was convinced the cancer was spreading.  It wasn't.  I was just suddenly hyper-aware of my body and what was happening with it.  It's good that we're in tune with our bodies and the slight changes happening, but for me I had to keep that in check or I would have lost my mind!!

I know you're waiting a while before seeing your doctor.  I hope you're able to find some peace and enjoyment and relaxation between now and then.  You'll see different versions of the same concept around here, but in short, if you fixate on the worse-case scenario and it actually happens, you’ve lived it twice.  It is whatever it is.  Knowing what it is is power, but until then try not to worry too much.  We can't diagnose you, Dr. Google can't diagnose you, and you can't really guess what it is. 

Oncotype=42, ki-67=50% SWOG S0221 participant Dx 11/22/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 01/19/2012 AC: Adriamycin and Cytoxan Hormonal Therapy 10/19/2012 Aromasin (chemical name: exemestane, class: aromatase inhibitor) Hormonal Therapy 06/07/2012 Tamoxifen in pill form (brand names: Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone, class: selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM)) Radiation Therapy 06/12/2012 Whole-breast radiation Surgery 12/05/2011 Lumpectomy in one or both breasts: Lumpectomy in my left breast; Lymph node removal (also called dissection): Sentinel lymph node removal (also called dissection) , Lymph node removal (also called dissection) on my left side Chemotherapy 03/15/2012 Taxol (chemical name: paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/28/2012 Tamoxifen in pill form (brand names: Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone, class: selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM))

Jun 22, 2013 10:21PM Sinfullyd wrote:

Hi nancy thank you for replying. Your probably right in the fact that I am overly sensitive to everything in my body right now. And I did think it was odd the lump is in the opposite armpit. I guess I'm just stressing too much.

Jun 22, 2013 10:32PM NancyHB wrote:

It's totally understandable to be stressing right now!  Goodness, you've been waiting for answers for weeks, and aren't really getting anywhere.  Sounds like you're being blown off by your doctors, and that's a real shame.  We know our bodies well, and when something changes it would be nice if our health care professionals would stop...listen...and help us determine what's going on.  We are NOT doctors - we can't figure this out on our own!!

It's good to be sensitive to what's going on in your body - just don't let it rule your life right now.  Advocate for an earlier appointment, perhaps.  But I encourage you to try not to focus solely on The Girls right now, rather enjoy your life.  If it's not cancer, then you've spent alot of time and energy worrying; if it is cancer you've spent alot of time and energy worrying - and you'll need that energy to focus on treatment and healing.  Here's a {{{hug}}} - now go enjoy your Saturday!

Oncotype=42, ki-67=50% SWOG S0221 participant Dx 11/22/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 01/19/2012 AC: Adriamycin and Cytoxan Hormonal Therapy 10/19/2012 Aromasin (chemical name: exemestane, class: aromatase inhibitor) Hormonal Therapy 06/07/2012 Tamoxifen in pill form (brand names: Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone, class: selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM)) Radiation Therapy 06/12/2012 Whole-breast radiation Surgery 12/05/2011 Lumpectomy in one or both breasts: Lumpectomy in my left breast; Lymph node removal (also called dissection): Sentinel lymph node removal (also called dissection) , Lymph node removal (also called dissection) on my left side Chemotherapy 03/15/2012 Taxol (chemical name: paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/28/2012 Tamoxifen in pill form (brand names: Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone, class: selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM))

Jun 22, 2013 10:39PM Sinfullyd wrote:

Thank you for the hug. Very much needed right now :-) I think I'm stressing so much because I think it could be IBC and I know it's very fast and needs to be diagnosed quickly. Also I'm taking painkillers like they are smarties lol it's strange as my boob doesn't look overly larger than the other but it certainly feels it in my bra! Also the fact that it's been 2 weeks since I originally found the first small lump and in those 2 weeks I now have thickening, swelling, pain, more lumps and now nipple changes oh and lump in other armpit. Finding it hard to sleep as boob is quite solid so lying on it is uncomfortable. Oh well I guess there is nothing I can do over the weekend so best just enjoy it. Thank you again. Have a fab weekend too xx

Jun 23, 2013 08:39PM Sinfullyd wrote:

Not stressing too much today. Have come to the conclusion that's its not IBC and may not even be cancer at all. Nothing had changed, infact I now have a cluster of lumps in my other boob on the side I found the swollen node BUT it is not doing me any good worrying about it and what will be will be. Feel like I've spent too long worrying and it's got me nowhere so I will patiently wait to see breast clinic and go from there. Ahh that feels better :-)

Jun 23, 2013 11:05PM NancyHB wrote:

I'm so glad you're feeling a little better (emotionally) today.  It's hard to do, but letting go of some of that worry can be really liberating!  Sorry to hear there's a cluster of lumps in your other breast.  Here's to hoping it's an easily-treatable infection, or some other such thing that isn't cancer. 

When is your next appointment?

Jun 24, 2013 03:08AM Sinfullyd wrote:

Hi nancy. Yes I do feel liberated :-)
I am waiting to hear when my appointment at the breast clinic is but I am heading back to docs tomorrow as I can't handle this pain. I'm taking painkillers every 2 hours which I'm not so sure is a good idea. Maybe they will speed my appointment up if they realise how much pain I'm in.

I'm sure all the lumps are nothing to worry about. Probably just cists or something like that but just wish the pain in my boobs, chest and back would bugger off lol