Topic: got a birads 6, but still confused...

Forum: Waiting for Test Results — We know, waiting is VERY difficult but we're here for you.

Posted on: Jun 24, 2007 05:46PM

Posted on: Jun 24, 2007 05:46PM

locaoca wrote:

I am 31 years old. I have had 2 benign biopsies and a negative braca 1 and 2. I recently went in for my yearly rounds of tests. The mammo showed 2 nodular foci on my left breast that had never been seen before. The MRI confirmed the left and another two on the right side where I had been biopsied before. The report on the MRI gave is a birad 6. From what I understand the birad 6 is for those who have had the biopsy to confirm. I go to see me surgeon tomorrow (the upped the appt after recieving the report) and I haven't slept since they called me. Can someone please help me understand what it all means? (Not to meantion I have a "spot" on my lung that was seen for the first time before I had surgery two months ago.) I am just worried about all of it....

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)

Jun 24, 2007 07:22PM - edited Mar 19, 2008 12:45PM by TenderIsOurMight

Dear Locaoca,
BIRADS Category 6 is a new MRI category. You are right when you say it refers to a situation where a biopsy has been done and confirms a malignancy.

This is puzzling in your situation as you said you had two right breast biopsies and both were reported benign and you have not had a biopsy as yet on the left breast finding, which is why you are seeing your surgeon.

There doesn't appear to be a logical explanation to why the MRI reports categorizes it as 6, since there is no biopsy confirmed malignancy from what you are saying.

So it's good to see your surgeon tomorrow and talk together. Clearing this up is a priority and will give you needed rest from worry.

Please do feel free to keep us posted. We're pulling for you.

Regards,
Tender
It cannot be emphasized too strongly that treatment of each patient is a highly individualized matter. (FDA-approved labeling for warfarin (Coumadin) NDA 9-218/5-105)

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)

Scroll to top button