Topic: Who has had an MRI Biopsy.....

Forum: Waiting for Test Results — We know, waiting is VERY difficult but we're here for you.

Posted on: Jun 26, 2007 05:50AM

Posted on: Jun 26, 2007 05:50AM

climbergirl wrote:

...and how did it go? I have been looking for details of the proc and am coming up empty. Am having one this week.

Thanks,

climbergirl Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Jun 26, 2007 07:05AM burquie wrote:

climbergirl,
I had one back in Mid March. Have you had a reg MRI? Here's the procedure: You lay on your belly with your boobs hanging securly in a little cutout on the table. They slide you into the tube..... not as bad as it sounds..... my head was right near the opening so it wasn't too bad. If confined spaces bother you take a little something to relax you..... ask the DR if ya need to.Anyways, you're in the tube 10-15 minutes so they can get a good pic of the area they want to biopsy. YOU MUST REMAIN STILL!! They slide you out, numb the area of your boob they will put the needle in, put the needle in and then slide you in for another look.... to make sure they are where they are supposed to be. They then slide ya out, take the biopsy with the needle, probably insert a titanium clip, slide ya in for a quick pic of the clip and you are done! It probably takes 30-40 minutes...... it goes by fast, if it wasn't for the constant "knocking" of the machine I probably would have fallen asleep while they were taking pictures.
I hope this answers your question, and that I didn't leave anything out. It's just like anything else with his beast we call cancer....... the anxiety of the unknown..... it will be okay, you are stronger than you know and you will get through the test with no problem!
PM me if you have anymore ??'s.
Bonnie
Bonnie Dx 3/3/2007, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/23 nodes, ER+ Surgery 5/1/2007 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Jun 26, 2007 02:40PM cbl wrote:

The above explanation pretty much covers it. I am not claustraphobic so that was not an issue for me. If you are then I would recommend closing your eyes in addition to any medication you might take. The noise of the machine is very loud! Sort of like a jackhammer going off next to you. But other than the noise and the need to stay still in such an awkward position for so long the procedure is not difficult at all. It was one that I would not hesitate to have again if I needed to.

Jun 26, 2007 04:10PM wallycat wrote:

I used to work at GE medical and was their guinea pig for MRI machines. The noise actually lulled me to sleep!
My machine actually broke down for an hour while I was inside.
I happily slept away (I took a prozac before the procedure because I was so terrified of getting the results).
I have to say that the breast MRI was insignificant in terms of procedure; it was what it represented that freaked me out.
Best to you!
Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Jun 26, 2007 04:14PM Indigoblue wrote:

Climbergirl,
I once had an orange kitty named Climbergirl...loved that cat, and she climbed mountains, trees, drapes, heads, dogs, buildings and whatever she believed needed to be investigated. She lived to be almost 26 yrs old, which is quite good in cat years.

Oh yes, back to the MRI...
I loved the "breast" MRI. It was arranged at the hospital at 1 a.m., snow was falling, and there was a window which allowed me to think cool, wintery, dreamy thoughts; christman lights and drawings of snowmen hung on the wall.
I was given a nuclear med. shot for imaging, listened to some wonderful spanish guitar quartet and Barbecue Sam singing the blues; they give you a c.d. with earphones if you wish, and will provide patients with music (be certain to take your own!) if you don't remember.

I took valium before the MRI, as I'd had a suffocating experience at a different hospital for an MRI of my spine a few years earlier. Laying on my stomach was very comfy, and the techs were wonderful. The waiting room was empty, as it was so late at night, and they provided easy-chairs, televisions, magazines, and vending machines. My husband was sound asleep when I left the lab; in fact, I fell asleep during the MRI, amazing because it is so noisy.
I'm generally an insomniac.

It was extremely easy, comforting, and I was relieved to have it performed and completed. Even the needle was painless (considering I'm needlephobic!)

I'll take an MRI over a Crammogram any day!

((hugs))
Indi
Dx 11/30/2005, IDC, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Scroll to top button