Topic: I hate pelvic ultrasounds (rant)

Forum: Waiting for Test Results — We know, waiting is VERY difficult but we're here for you.

Posted on: Aug 24, 2007 10:56AM

Posted on: Aug 24, 2007 10:56AM

leaf wrote:

(I hate endometrial biopsies too, but that's another story.)

I just had a pelvic ultrasound this morning (I'm on tamoxifen, I know its very unlikely there's anything actually wrong), appt time 09:30am. For those who haven't had this joy, you're supposed to drink 2 quarts (about 2 liters) of fluid an hour before your exam, and *not* urinate so that your bladder is expanded, and then have your ultrasound. About 15 minutes through your ultrasound, they let you go to the bathroom.

Well, I got there in plenty of time, went to the bathroom at 08:15. I drink my 2 quarts at 08:30, 1 hr before my exam. The patient before me arrived at 08:45, and -ooops - says she forgot to drink her water. Nooo, they didn't make her postpone. I had already drunk my water 15 minutes earlier, and my exam was AFTER hers.

They call the sonographer at 09:30 and tell her the next ultrasound patient is ready. Good, I think. No long waits. But no one comes.

So at 09:40, 10 minutes after when I thought my exam was supposed to start, I go up to the desk and ask when my exam is supposed to start as I really have to pee. I'm informed that I was supposed to arrive for my appointment at 09:30 and the exam was at 09:45 (throwing back her hair.) Then go back to discuss the latest whatever. They reply if its really bad I can go to the bathroom a little bit. Then they go back to discussing the latest whatever (not work related.)

At 09:40 I knew I wouldn't last. I didn't enjoy all 5 of them chatting about the lastest whatever. The receptionist acts like I'm a pain in the rear end, and gives me the key to the bathroom. I try to urinate as little as possible.

No one says in the front apologizes or says they are sorry or that there is a delay.

I'm sitting there hyperventilating and curled up at 09:45. Another lady (not the receptionist) calls and says it will be another 5 minutes. By 09:50, I was rocking back and forth, bent over, and curled up, hyperventilating. Then a guy (who does like Xray) notices that I'm not exactly acting normally, comes over and asks if I'm OK. Like, I'm going to have the control to explain to them in front of everyone in the waiting room that I'm having a pelvic ultrasound and I have to pee? All I could do was to throw my plastic glass on the floor and curl up and rock back and forth. Obviously, I don't mind waiting, I just mind waiting if my bladder is completely full and I'm not supposed to urinate.

I finally got in there at about 10:00. I know this is only 30 minutes after I thought I was supposed to have my exam. But I have a weak bladder.

The sonographer apologized and said she couldn't get the previous patient out of the room.

I was shaking through the exam until they let me empty my bladder.

I know that the office don't have control over when patients arrive and if they drink the required water.

The receptionist should learn the magic words "I'm sorry this happened to you', and maybe find out how much longer it will actually be. It would feel much nicer than hearing the latest whatever discussed. <end of rant>.

I know its not the end of the world, and it doesn't compare with what a lot of women here go through. I feel better now. Thanks for listening.
Classic LCIS.If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them- Isaac Asimov Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, ER+/PR- Surgery 1/24/2006 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 7/15/2006 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 2 (19 results)

Aug 24, 2007 11:07AM lvtwoqlt wrote:

I had one last year and it is the pits, having to hold your pee. whoops, I have to go now.

Sheila
Women are like tea bags, we don't know how strong we are until we were thrown into hot water. Eleanore Roosevelt Diagnosed ADH Feb 2005, ADH Sept 2006 Surgery 2/11/2005 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 9/9/2006 Lumpectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 10/11/2006 Dx 4/27/2007, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/7 nodes Surgery 5/31/2007 Mastectomy: Left, Right

Aug 25, 2007 03:32AM leaf wrote:

Thank you so much, Layne and Sheila. I just wanted someone to understand.

The sonographer was very sympathetic. I didn't really want to discuss my situation in front of the entire waiting room, even if I had been able to do so.

Thank you again for your support.
Classic LCIS.If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them- Isaac Asimov Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, ER+/PR- Surgery 1/24/2006 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 7/15/2006 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 25, 2007 04:07AM Sandra1957 wrote:

I just had my yearly one a couple of weeks ago. I don't ask. I just pee and keep on drinking until they call me in. I've never been turned away. It's either that or pee all over the floor, exam table, etc. The "holding it" problem gets worse every year, too.

I'm always steppin' in and out of crap!

Aug 25, 2007 05:56AM leaf wrote:

I wish I could have done that. But the receptionist has a key to the bathroom...

Thanks for understanding, lini

Aug 25, 2007 09:32AM Peaches70 wrote:

It's just one more indignity and torment that women get to enjoy. Definitely proof to me that God is NOT a woman!
Leaf, I was just wondering, if you don't mind answering - does your having the ultrasound have anything to do with the breast situation, medication, etc.? I had one last spring after I told my gyn (when he asked) about my bloating, gas, constipation, etc. That was to rule out ovarian cancer.
Dx 1/25/2007, LCIS, Stage 0

Aug 25, 2007 10:13AM Fleurdelis wrote:

Leaf - Your rant is well deserved, and unfortunately all to familiar. I has a similar experience to yours a few years back. After the hospital staff saw me curled up in a ball for 30+ minutes they grudgingly told me it would be okay to go to the bathroom, as long as I started drinking again right away. UGH! Now I avoid the hospitals like the plague for my bi-annual TVU's (I'm on Tamoxifen and also high risk for ovarian cancer), and get them instead at an independent Diagnostic Center for Women. They only make me drink 16 oz. of water! It's amazing what a difference that makes. If no facility in your area is similarly accomodating, I'd insist on scheduling the ultrasound as the first patient of the day. That way, if they're running behind (like usual), it's someone else's problem.
Fleurdelis

Aug 25, 2007 11:52AM cp418 wrote:

Leaf - I commend you for being SO PATIENT (no pun intended). Good thing it wasn't me as I would have made a scene and probably peed in the waiting room to teach them a lesson. I obviously am past the point of patience with unprofessional medical personnel. Joann

Aug 25, 2007 04:29PM leaf wrote:

Quote:
Leaf, I was just wondering, if you don't mind answering - does your having the ultrasound have anything to do with the breast situation, medication, etc.?

Of course I don't mind answering :-). I had the pelvic ultrasound because I'm on tamoxifen. I'm nearing menopause. My last two periods were:
a) Dec-Feb 59 days long (had negative endometrial biopsy)
b) July 21-ongoing, so its been at least 34 days.

I'm at very low risk for BRCA per Major University Genetics Dept (which I do trust). Have not had any gas, bloating, etc.

Aug 25, 2007 04:32PM leaf wrote:

Oh gad, I can't imagine what you went through, fleurdelis.

It seems unfair because the patient before me got to have her ultrasound without even consuming the required water, and I had to take the brunt of her actions.

I think you are wise, fleurdelis, for scheduling it either first in the morning or right after lunch.

Thank you so much for your support

Aug 25, 2007 04:35PM leaf wrote:

Quote:
I obviously am past the point of patience with unprofessional medical personnel. Joann

Hurrah! I have to laugh, because I am a medical personnel, but that didn't help me any. I have VERY little patient contact, but I will really try to make "I'm sorry this is happening to you' a very handy phrase.

Thank you again, Joann.

Page 1 of 2 (19 results)

Scroll to top button