Topic: I hate pelvic ultrasounds (rant)

Forum: Waiting for Test Results — We know, waiting is VERY difficult but we're here for you.

Posted on: Aug 24, 2007 08:56AM

Posted on: Aug 24, 2007 08:56AM

leaf wrote:

(I hate endometrial biopsies too, but that's another story.)

I just had a pelvic ultrasound this morning (I'm on tamoxifen, I know its very unlikely there's anything actually wrong), appt time 09:30am. For those who haven't had this joy, you're supposed to drink 2 quarts (about 2 liters) of fluid an hour before your exam, and *not* urinate so that your bladder is expanded, and then have your ultrasound. About 15 minutes through your ultrasound, they let you go to the bathroom.

Well, I got there in plenty of time, went to the bathroom at 08:15. I drink my 2 quarts at 08:30, 1 hr before my exam. The patient before me arrived at 08:45, and -ooops - says she forgot to drink her water. Nooo, they didn't make her postpone. I had already drunk my water 15 minutes earlier, and my exam was AFTER hers.

They call the sonographer at 09:30 and tell her the next ultrasound patient is ready. Good, I think. No long waits. But no one comes.

So at 09:40, 10 minutes after when I thought my exam was supposed to start, I go up to the desk and ask when my exam is supposed to start as I really have to pee. I'm informed that I was supposed to arrive for my appointment at 09:30 and the exam was at 09:45 (throwing back her hair.) Then go back to discuss the latest whatever. They reply if its really bad I can go to the bathroom a little bit. Then they go back to discussing the latest whatever (not work related.)

At 09:40 I knew I wouldn't last. I didn't enjoy all 5 of them chatting about the lastest whatever. The receptionist acts like I'm a pain in the rear end, and gives me the key to the bathroom. I try to urinate as little as possible.

No one says in the front apologizes or says they are sorry or that there is a delay.

I'm sitting there hyperventilating and curled up at 09:45. Another lady (not the receptionist) calls and says it will be another 5 minutes. By 09:50, I was rocking back and forth, bent over, and curled up, hyperventilating. Then a guy (who does like Xray) notices that I'm not exactly acting normally, comes over and asks if I'm OK. Like, I'm going to have the control to explain to them in front of everyone in the waiting room that I'm having a pelvic ultrasound and I have to pee? All I could do was to throw my plastic glass on the floor and curl up and rock back and forth. Obviously, I don't mind waiting, I just mind waiting if my bladder is completely full and I'm not supposed to urinate.

I finally got in there at about 10:00. I know this is only 30 minutes after I thought I was supposed to have my exam. But I have a weak bladder.

The sonographer apologized and said she couldn't get the previous patient out of the room.

I was shaking through the exam until they let me empty my bladder.

I know that the office don't have control over when patients arrive and if they drink the required water.

The receptionist should learn the magic words "I'm sorry this happened to you', and maybe find out how much longer it will actually be. It would feel much nicer than hearing the latest whatever discussed. <end of rant>.

I know its not the end of the world, and it doesn't compare with what a lot of women here go through. I feel better now. Thanks for listening.
Classic LCIS.If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them- Isaac Asimov Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, ER+/PR- Surgery 1/24/2006 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 7/15/2006 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 2 of 2 (19 results)

Aug 27, 2007 08:42AM lisettemac wrote:

I hear ya'. This happened to me once, except I was 4 mos pregnant and had to wait over 2 hours for the exam. I admire the fact that you were able to go pee just a little ... I don't have the control to do that!! I was miserable. When I complained to my OB-GYN (who wasn't doing the test, just sent me to this radiologist) she said it was impossible for me to hold it that long when I'm pregnant, but I assured her that I did!! And why *are* the receptionists always so unfeeling, anyway??

Aug 27, 2007 08:57AM Harley44 wrote:

Leaf,

Oh, I feel so bad for you!! That is HORRIBLE! The way those women behaved is deplorable!!

BTW, I ALSO HATE PELVIC ULTRASOUNDS!! I have uterine fibroids, and I'm supposed to also take tamoxifen when I'm done with chemo, but I am kind of scared... it can also make fibroid tumors grow!!!

I am postmenopausal, but my onc wants me to take tamoxifen anyway... I am very thin, and am worried about my bones with those AI's... Gee, isn't there a better choice?

I sympathise with you, since I have to go through that too, with those stupid pelvic u/s!!!!

Hugs,
HARLEY

Aug 27, 2007 09:18AM ADK wrote:

Add me to the list - my worst experience was with a male tech who was convinced that I was just being whinny. He kept delaying even though I had tears streaming down my cheeks. Well, when he finally started the US, he gasped and said "ohmigod, your bladder is about to burst". Needless to say, he insisted that I go relieve some of it. I learned from that - I just lie to them about drinking the excessive amount of water and I have found that I am always sufficiently full. I will drink more water than usual, but I don't need to put myself into agony in order to have this test done. You might try that next time - don't torture yourself, just drink some extra water and lie to them.
Anne

Aug 27, 2007 09:30AM Peaches70 wrote:

I guess I didn't realize that Tamoxifen had that risk. Since I'm on Raloxifene, I wonder if I will need those regularly as well. No one has said that yet.

Dx 1/25/2007, LCIS, Stage 0

Aug 27, 2007 09:37AM Harley44 wrote:

I wanted Raloxifene, but my onc said that they don't use it for bc, and it hasn't been approved by the FDA!!

How did you get it?

HARLEY

Aug 27, 2007 12:26PM Sandra1957 wrote:

Leaf,

I didn't mean to sound unsympathetic. I was just offering a suggestion. I totally get what you've been through which is why I've become a non-rule follower when it comes to my pelvic u/s. Since you're held captive and unable to get to the ladies room here's another suggetstion that I have resorted to since my bladder doesn't cooperate anymore. I don't start drinking an hour before instead as soon as I hit the parking lot I start drinking water and drink until they call me in. Like yours my sonographer was also great. He actually let me use the potty 3 times during the exam. Oh this pee-pee problem is not fun. Sorry if I sounded insensitive I didn't mean to.

lini
I'm always steppin' in and out of crap!

Aug 27, 2007 01:26PM leaf wrote:

lini57 - please do not distress yourself - I took your post as very supportive - I did NOT take any offense. I enjoy every one of your posts - you have been very helpful to me.

Thank you one and all for your posts. It sounds like I am not the only one. I am glad you shared your battle strategies with me. We are stronger together.
Classic LCIS.If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them- Isaac Asimov Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, ER+/PR- Surgery 1/24/2006 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 7/15/2006 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 27, 2007 01:39PM leaf wrote:

I can't imagine putting you through that test when you're 4 months pregnant. I don't have any kids, and I know I'd never survive. Its amazing you have a bladder left.

Aug 27, 2007 01:48PM leaf wrote:

Re: raloxifene: http://www.cancer.gov/ncicancerbulletin/NCI_Cancer_Bulletin_080707/page5

Doctors can, and often do, prescribe off-label. I guess your doc opted not. Its only appropriate for postmenopausal women.

Thanks again for your support.

Page 2 of 2 (19 results)

Scroll to top button