Join Us

We are 225,737 members in 83 forums discussing 164,196 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: I am feeling anxious and I'm Waiting for Test Results

Forum: Waiting for Test Results —

For members not diagnosed with breast cancer, but waiting for test results:  Biopsy, mammogram, ultrasound, or other screening tests. Waiting is VERY difficult but remember...

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength." -- Corrie Ten Boom

Posted on: Jun 15, 2009 07:43PM

Zepher wrote:

I had two lumpectomys since June 4th and I am waiting for the pathology report of the second operation.  I am scared and hoping to find some words of encouragement from others that have gone through the same procedures.

I am very concerned about the numbness under my arm where the lymph node was removed.  My surgeon said that feeling may (or may not) come back.  Can anyone tell me how long it will take before I know if the numbness will go away and normal feeling will return to my arm? 

I would also like to ask anyone that has had "balloon" radiation what to expect?  Thank you for any words of encouragement.

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Jun 15, 2009 08:31PM xpectmiracles wrote:

Hi Zepher. I'm Cheryl. Last fall I had a lumpectomy, then mastectomy with tissue expander after cancer was found. I am still numb where my nodes were removed. Sensation has come back to other areas around the incision, so it's coming back slowly. My heart goes out to you with the awful waiting period for test results. Because I opted for mastectomy and my nodes were clear i do not need radiation. I don't know about balloon radiation. Take care and keep in touch on these boards. I have found the support very comforting.

Cheryl Dx 10/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 15, 2009 08:47PM kibbles wrote:

Hi,

I had an excisional biopsy done 2.5 months ago and I also have numbess in the area (there were no lymph nodes taken out; finding was fibroadenoma).  The area of numbness is about the size of two half dollars and is right at the area of incision.  The numbess has gotten a bit better, in the sense that I no longer have the weird feelings there (parathesias) nor do I have the senesation that clothing touching the area feels weird and painful, as it did for the first month or so.  But I was told that feeling may or may not return, and that it could take 6 months to a year for it to do so, if it returns.

At first, the numbness was really bothersome, but now I think I'm getting used to it, and the fact that the parathesias are gone helped a lot too.  I hope feeling returns soon for you!

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)