We are 194,728 members in 81 forums discussing 143,988 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Waiting for Test Results → Topic: Still scared and confused

Topic: Still scared and confused

Forum: Waiting for Test Results —

For members not diagnosed with breast cancer, but waiting for test results:  Biopsy, mammogram, ultrasound, or other screening tests. Waiting is VERY difficult but remember...

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength." -- Corrie Ten Boom

Posted on: Nov 26, 2010 07:12PM - edited Nov 26, 2010 07:27PM by bfx00

bfx00 wrote:

I am 43 yrs old and a nervous wreck. This is my second time ever having a mammogram. The last time I had a mammogram I was 37 yrs old.  Then, I was told I had a lot of fatty tissues-if my memory serves me correctly. Trust me, I will never let time lapse again between mammograms. These last couple weeks have drove me completely crazy. Waiting on test results.

Mammogram results
Radiologist 1- on 11/12/10 Stated moderate density with a 7-8 millimeter nodule near nipple in left breast; recommended spot compression and ultrasound.  Didn't meet this radiologist results were sent to my doctor's office.

Radiologist 2- Today 11/26/10, stated that the area is very dense and she (radiologist-2) couldn't say if it is a nodule or not-not sure what it is at this point; She said the spot compression detected the area of concern and its very dense; and the ultrasound didn't show anything;  I asked to see the radiologist and she had such a unconcern attitude like I was bothering her or something. She recommended I return in 6 months to see if it's still there-this is something they like to watch for at least 2 years. Another thing, the ultrasound technician was in distressed while performing my ultrasound test because her son had been beaten and robbed 40- 45 minutes prior to me having my ultrasound done. So, she wasn't too focused and I can understand that-too.

Please advise as to what I should do? I plan to tell my GYN that I'm not pleased with the results. I feel like I'm getting 2 different answers and I'm still a nervous wreck at this point. Am I over re-acting? God knows I'm concerned-this is my health. I've read too many stories where radiologists blew patients off and they were later diagnosed with breast cancer.

Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Log in to post a reply

Nov 26, 2010 07:54PM flopsy wrote:

bfx00,  Definitely get another opinion.  I would request another u/s at a different facility and maybe see a Breast Surgeon and get them to evaluate what has already been done.  This would be the easiest thing to do and should give you better answers.  Good luck with whatever you do and let us know what happens.  I am sending good thoughts to you.  Hugs to you and please try not to get ahead of yourself too much,  Ginny

flopsy Dx 5/3/2010, ILC, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 1, 5/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/15/2010 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 6/25/2010 AC Radiation Therapy 9/8/2010 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 9/22/2010 Femara (letrozole)
Log in to post a reply

Nov 26, 2010 08:21PM bfx00 wrote:

Thanks, Ginny for your response and encouragement.  I will definitely request another u/s and possible surgeon-too.  Again, thanks for the advice...


Log in to post a reply

Nov 26, 2010 08:23PM changes wrote:


If they're telling you your breasts are dense (and it sounds like they are), you may want to see if you can get an MRI. Mammograms aren't all that good at finding things in dense breasts. Alternately, you may want to ask them to go ahead and biopsy it, if that will give you peace of mind. If they're telling you it's okay to wait for six months and see what happens, then they think it's probably benign. Breast cancer tends to grow  slowly and 7 to 8 mm is quite small. Talk it over with your doctor and see what he/she thinks. Everything probably is okay, but I can understand wanting to know for sure. Please let us know what you end up doing,


IDC Stage 1, Grade 1 Dx 5/14/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/26/2010 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy Radiation Therapy
Log in to post a reply

Nov 26, 2010 11:52PM Lisa1962 wrote:

bfx00, I am so sorry that you are going through all of this worry.  So many of us here understand that the testing, waiting & worrying is the absolute worst.  Add to that you getting the testing done (as you did with your 2nd mammo & US today), & then only having half of the attention of the US tech & radiologist.  I totally agree with gin2ca and hope that you can have another US done at another facility.  Do you have a breast center in your area?  I had a 3 week breast scare last fall & had all of my testing done at a breast center at a large hospital in Columbus, OH (2 hours from my home).  I can't tell you how worthwhile the long drive was due to the wonderful treatment that I received from all of the health personnel at the breast center.

Additionally, as gin2ca suggested, seeing a breast surgeon is a great idea.  I made my appt. with my breast surgeon before I knew all of the results of my testing.  My surgeon's nurse told me that many women (even if their results end up being B9) bring their imaging results to my surgeon just to get his opinion on their course of action & to have him do a very good clinical exam of their breasts (basically a very good breast exam, as surgeon's are so experienced at feeling things beneath the skin).

Please know that I will be hoping that you can get to the bottom of this concern, get appropriate testing & results, and have some peace of mind.  Of course you are concerned...your health is your number one priority.  You have to be your own best health advocate in our current healthcare environment.  Please keep us posted here.  I'm sending only calming B9 thoughts to you from Ohio....Lisa 

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)